Airfix 1/72 therapy build thread: Wildcat done!

22 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Could well be a hand pump for the gear.

Remember early Spitfires had just such an arrangement too.

The post take off wing wobble as it was used, is often mentioned in biographies.

It is...

P-40E%20rt.jpg

It’s from this site

http://www.p40warhawk.com/Models/Technical/Technical.htm

Way too much detail for a 1/72 build but it looks a great resource.

Trevor

• Like 3

Was the Fw190 the only aircraft with electric undercarriage? I'm not sure.

But most aircraft engines had to drive a generator and a vacuum pump for the brakes.

Add a hydraulic pump too and you'd be sapping more power.

Edit, Thanks for the confirmation, Trevor.

Todays wee update: The cowling fit was not too bad, superglue, accelerator  and pressure did the trick

43541924695_ff35cc2e20_b.jpg

44401797202_5aa7e25db8_b.jpg

The wings on the other hand are not even close...bits touch and then others wont etc.

43733633554_8bff08d422_b.jpg

29513091527_d3253160dd_b.jpg

29513100457_70b5939320_b.jpg

Its a relatively easy fix but because I don't want to spend too much time sanding, I'll use Mr Surfacer 500 over a PVA matrix and then smooth that off with a Mr Leveling moistened cotton bud. But that is for tomorrow, now I have to prepare for my next delightful part time gig, in...Sunny Watford.

I built the elderly Academy P-40E four years ago  (link here) and am amazed how much better it went together than this more recent Airfix effort,  and good hard plastic that you could work with. Plus ca change, in the meantime I found the etch gun sights in my etch drawer, this time they'll be spaced properly and off centre as I'm told they should be.

30582769228_c89934471a_b.jpg%5B

• Like 5

I found that a scrap sprue spreader just ahead of the cockpit floor pushed the fuselage sides out just far enough to close the gaps at the wing roots enough to not require filler.  

Sorry if that’s a bit of a mess, been suffering from trains all day: FOUR HOURS to get from Whitby to the Yorkshire border with England, and that’s without leaves on the line, or frozen points at Penge East.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

I found that a scrap sprue spreader just ahead of the cockpit floor pushed the fuselage sides out just far enough to close the gaps at the wing roots enough to not require filler.  

Sorry if that’s a bit of a mess, been suffering from trains all day: FOUR HOURS to get from Whitby to the Yorkshire border with England, and that’s without leaves on the line, or frozen points at Penge East.......

I tried the spreader but that didn't work as the fuselage meets the leading edge fine on one side and the trailing on the other, spreading simply made it not fit overall. I worked out the problem which is a shape alignment and mismatch of shape especially at the leading edge where the wing meets the undercarriage "knuckles" but to be honest this is a quick build, so acceptable like my recent Hurricane & FW 190 will do, its not entering any contests...

Judging by the low pressure style of moulding and the not quite formed shapes throughout I think each batch of these will be slightly different in terms of getting the temperature, timing, material wrong- this is a cheap kit, made cheaply and sold cheaply so a little bit of work isn't a chore.

Tamiya would not  even dream of releasing a kit this poorly made but then again Tamiya make you pay for their QA & QC dearly! This kit for me is in the spirit of those bagged Woolies kits that were so exciting when I rushed home from school, dashed off the homework and unscrewed the cap on my Humbrol tube of cement!!

• Like 1

Therapy was interrupted by new contract, so yesterday and today progress: Trying some Pmasks- made from the same stiff black vinyl as Montex.

42743164390_7037876bfd_b.jpg

Hmm, we appear to have some rebel non conformists my lord,

29613821397_c28a0e733f_b.jpg

New Tamiya tape masks done on my Cricut Explore Air, some of the Pmask shapes and sizes were a bit bogus so they were resized as well,

43833964154_cda376ce76_b.jpg

Dry fit and last minute checks before priming AM tomorrow,

42743202110_66a581fa27_b.jpg

Drilled out the exhausts , very Zen and relaxing thing to do and saved a few pennies on resin replacements, see y'all tomorrow!

29614254817_58f48698d5_b.jpg

• Like 4

And today's 10 cents, got the primer on and I have to say that Stylnylrez is one of the best modelling products out there (apart from being a pig to get out of my H&S): Note wing guns removed, replacements with be slide fit tubes. Canopy fit is bogus, different shapes on transparency and fuselage, would require much delicate re-profiling which usually leads to an even worse fit in my case. opted to fill gap at the front with deluxe Glue 'N Glaze which dries nice and clear, 

42767923690_6952679581_b.jpg

So it dries smooth 'n hard in 20 mins, lets pre-shade  this baby,

43668600605_a2c97b98dc_b.jpg

OK, another 20 minutes and we have some Mr Color RAF Azure, a fitting colour given yours truly's moniker.

img

Well as always the painting is a joy and we should see camo on and finished tomorrow. So time to look at those decals,

44527911712_0ba58f19a7_b.jpg

Jeez thats a lot of carrier film..I noticed how   @Hairtrigger struggled with his Hurricane decals, when I did the same I laboriously scalpeled  each letter out and then had the joy of lining them up and spacing them..So given how well masks worked in my FW190, I'm thinking lets spray  everything except the "eyes" and the serial? That shark mouth looks like a hoot to paint!

Well nighty night nocturnal BMers. have safe and productive week, wherever you are

Cheers

Anil

• Like 4

Felt like doing absolutely no modelling today so I ...did some modelling. Well, therapy doesn't work if you don't um, do it? Just a minor one, pre-shaded the top and masked the underside: the weird delineation on the radiator cowl took an inordinate amount of time.

29661140967_a2ce6e3f52_b.jpg

Tomorrow for final camo. 

• Like 2

Back from Modelfest18 and decided to finish the top camo, used panzer putty for a tighter demarcation and may have obliterated the pre-shade but it seems to magically return when I matt coat. As usual Mr Color/leveling thinner does its magic.

43788290055_108b0ff778_b.jpg

Now off to have a look at the Eduard 1/72 Spit and the funky little Stransky Lear jet I bought.

Happy Modelling y'all.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wot, no updates? well was busy with this which is an Airfix 1/72 so I was still attending "therapy"! Anyhoo, cut some masks for the top wing and got the red (Mr Hobby H327 on). This stuff is weird for Mr H paint, takes days to dry and is super viscous, I'm going to try the Mr Color version as this is a pretty core paint for doing RAF roundels.

43118008270_f571e0232a_b.jpg

44930603721_a5beb01a73_b.jpg

I'm performing filial duties on Friday and leading workshops at my client all day tomorrow so its Saturday before this gets any more love. Though I need to get it done as I only had 1 finish in September, very poor...

• Like 6

I couldn't resist despite the slow drying paints, a few minor touch ups and very pleased with the results: Beats the pants off decals and coaxing them into panel lines and then admiring the  little raised rim of clear . A little bit of practice needed, the aqueous Mr hobby aren't as robust as Mr Color lacquer and removing the center masks, even with a cocktail stick sanded with 2000 grit, leaves marks. Ta-ta for now peeps.

44211962654_fdd98a2d7f_b.jpg

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

I think you're definitely excused, your distraction is a beautiful little thing.

Glad you liked my little pony and good to hear Mrs 06/24 is recovering. I've got to thank you for inspiring me to build 1/72, its truly like making beautiful tiny jewellery isn't it?

Cheers

Anil

• Like 1

Great progress, Stylnylrez primer is very good I use the grey primer I thin it slightly although it says on the bottle it does not need thinning, but it does need a higher PSI of at least 30-40 PSI to get it out of the airbrush, but does perform very well and levels great, and the best part it does sand back very well

12 hours ago, kev67 said:

Great progress, Stylnylrez primer is very good I use the grey primer I thin it slightly although it says on the bottle it does not need thinning, but it does need a higher PSI of at least 30-40 PSI to get it out of the airbrush, but does perform very well and levels great, and the best part it does sand back very well

Interesting that Kev, I use it neat in a dedicated H&S evolution running a 0.4mm needle. Spraying at a max of 20-25 and its dream. Clean up is my issue and seeing as I seem to have a production line going these days, I've found neat IPA shifts the basics ( the Ultimate  cleaner sort of works but not as well) and then dumping anything that doesn't have Viton O rings in neat acetone in a ultrasonic bath literally dissolves the stylnylres on contact. The only negative thing is the tenacity with which it clings to needles and nozzles , hence the acetone treatment, I like a super clean airbrush and super quick with all seals intact!

Check my Reno racer build, I used Stylnylres throughout:

Gloss black for shiny spinner

Std black for not so shiny airframe

White for base and finish coats for wings and tail planes

And oh yeah, a load of acetone ...

Anil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time for action: i let this get bogged down so got the mask on, just as fiddly as decalling. then the Oracal vinyl mask wouldn't go over the canopy rails so some new partial kabuki ones were made and lined up

44293023214_bddaa6d920_b.jpg

43325359350_9e4c3db7a3_b.jpg

45089682562_2153e1c611_b.jpg

45089689332_e47fffc152_b.jpg

45089699772_5ab8ff5907_b.jpg

Not as good as I'd hoped, roundels off centre, chips and misalignment galore but I think it was my haste and not the masks that were at fault. In truth its a great technique but needs skill and patience to avoid chips and misalignment. I'll be practicing this and taking my time and not rushing as lining up the masks is critical.

As it stands, I'm going to use the kit decals for the sharkmouth and will be getting her into weathering with Flory dirt wash asap: This needs to be in the cabinet not the bench! 

• Like 6

A  small update, we're on the home straight: sharkmouth on, detail parts painted. Final touch ups and matt coat tomorrow. As there is some dispute what kind of aerial this had, I've opted to be aerial wire free.

30222899347_b465bbcf08_b.jpg

Another aaah moment: Eduard position lights with UV cured resin and clear paint...I love stuff like this.

44249694615_d816d7f10c_b.jpg

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Hey Jon , literally 5 minutes to do:

You need these

and this (or equivalent) and  whatever brand of clear paint you use. PS is Mrs 06/24 recovering?

Cheers

Anil

Cheers. Pleased to report that although she is finding convalescence trying, she is improving every day. 

• Like 1

Just stumbled across this thread Anil and caught up now - great work going on here :) 

I'm with you on the Stynylrez - one of my favourites now. The lady from Barwell Bodyworks (the original importer) told me to wash out with water immediately and then wash through with their cleaner, which isn't that expensive and seems to do the job. The primer does dry quickly and I've found that washing the cup out with a brush after some of the primer has dried in it pushes dried primer into the AB and causes much angst… I now clean out the cup separately first and I'm a much happier bunny.

Nice masks too - I do like painted roundels and idents (when I can be bothered…)

Looking forward to more therapy soon!

• Like 1