1/32 - Saab J-29B & F Tunnan by Fly - released - RESIN2detail sets

Homebee

3 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

The S 29C played a crucial role in Sweden's low-level mapping of Warsaw Pact harbours and missile bases in top secret photo ops in the early autumn of 1958.

This means I have to add it to my wish list in 1/72 :D

41302-rd.png

BTW, Maestro Models released recon nose conversion in 1/72 for Tarangus kit (unfortunately without info about wings), I guess they can make it on 1/32 too.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

This means I have to add it to my wish list in 1/72 :D

Hi!

I just uploaded a Youtube video that I recently made for the F11 Museum, about the top secret low-level photo raids with the S 29C Tunnan in the early autumn of 1958:

Enjoy!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I just uploaded a Youtube video that I recently made for the F11 Museum, about the top secret low-level photo raids with the S 29C Tunnan in the early autumn of 1958

Excellent! Thanks a lot! Funny thing - in Poland I didn't come across any information about border violations of this kind. There was talk of RAF Canberras photographing the entire coastline, which even Soviet MiG-19s were unable to intercept, but not a word about low-level overflights. On the other hand, it is better not to mention it, because it would also be necessary to explain why such overflights occurred and what the air defence was doing at the time.

• Like 2

Hi!

I just uploaded a Youtube video that I recently made for the F11 Museum, about the top secret low-level photo raids with the S 29C Tunnan in the early autumn of 1958:

Enjoy!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Wow!

Thanks! What capability stuck in these Barrels, incredible. Wonder what other secrets are still out there to be revealed....

There are no photos around of these repainted J29Cs, no I guess?

Austria also had recce J29F.. but a different one side only camera set afaik 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

There are no photos around of these repainted J29Cs, no I guess?

That's a good guess! 😉

The S 29C:s involved basically had the period livery, anodised aluminium overall, except for fin/rudder and wingtips that were painted olive drab.

The special markings drawing, that figures briefly in the video, is based on the memories of one of the pilots.

Black bands (similar to some exercise markings) covered the standard Swedish national insignia on the fuselage, and on the lower and upper wing surfaces, likewise the griphon badge (symbol of the province of Sörmland) on both sides below the cockpit. The black Wing number (11) on the aft fuselage, behind the three crowns national roundel, was just painted out with grey paint and the yellow fin letter painted out either with black or, perhaps, with the same olive drab colour as the rest of the fin and the rudder.

Strictly speaking, the standard livery should also have olive drab wing tips, same colour as the fin. I left them out in order to avoid confusion with the black bands on the wings, but on a model the wing tips should be olive drab.

The eight S 29:s taking part in the operation were fully updated with SKa 16 (Vinten F95) camera windows on either side below the cockpit, a black, square radar rear warning antenna at the bottom of the fin trailing edge, and the vertical  PN-50 navigation radar reflector in the nose air intake ring.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

The eight S 29:s taking part in the operation were fully updated with SKa 16 (Vinten F95) camera windows on either side below the cockpit, a black, square radar rear warning antenna at the bottom of the fin trailing edge, and the vertical  PN-50 navigation radar reflector in the nose air intake ring.

Tarangus and other manufacturers could really make separate box with all that stuff. Or, at least, make proper fuselage and wings in one box, I can buy resin conversion myself :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Kind regards,

Joachim

Do you know any individual serial numbers on the aircraft taking part in this?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, flarpen said:

Do you know any individual serial numbers on the aircraft taking part in this?

Not currently, at least. There is virtually no documentation of the operation, which lasted for a week and was based on F 17 at Ronneby (the wartime assigned base for the F 11 3. Wing). One of the researchers in our little group at F11 Museum found the control tower log from the home base at Skavsta, Nyköping, but it made no mention of eight S 29:s taking off for F 17.

However, it did mention eight S 29:s of 3. Sq taking off for F 21 at Luleå a week later! That's when, according to the pilot, the Wing was awarded a couple of days off in the mountains to fish for char in the mountain brooks and talk through the adventures of the operation.

I haven't seen the log myself, so I don't know if it mentions the ID letters of the planes. If (that's saying if!) it does and if they used the same planes that took part in the operation, it might be possible to get hold of the serial numbers through other sources. But that would be a whole new research project in itself.

BTW, just to counter any idea that the story could be just a 'tall tale', a retired colonel who used to be head of the Air Force Intelligence deprtment at the headquarters in Stockolm, has stated on the record that he remembers the photos well, and especially one set of them. The subject was the harbour of Riga, taken from the east!

That means that the pilot in question had performed what was called 'a shot in the back of the head'. This was a tactic used by the recce pilots against a particularly well defended target. Instead of flying in over the harbour from the expected direction, from the sea, he would cross the coast at a less defended spot, make a 2 X 90° and approach the target from overland at combat speed, around 1000km/h at low level.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, TobHol said:

The information may be found in the book “Över gänsen”

https://forum.flyghistoria.org/viewtopic.php?f=254&t=21243

/Tobias

Where in 'Över gränsen' did you find serial numbers of any S 29 involved in the operation? I was rather intimately involved in its production and I can't remember seeing any serials… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

• 1 month later...

Having no separate part for the nose ring looks a little scary... But apart from that, it looks very tempting, even decals look good enough (although the roundel blue colour as always is too dark)! A little odd with almost black plastic. Release in February according to the link. Can't wait!

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Saab J-29B & F Tunnan by Fly - box art+sprues+decals - J-29F release February 2022
12 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

It might provide a better fit regards the nose ring, plenty of kits have it as a separate part, and the fit is terrible.

True. But this solution will also provide challenges if fit is not perfect. But we'll see. :)

6 minutes ago, Bjorn said:

True. But this solution will also provide challenges if fit is not perfect. But we'll see. :)

We will, great to have the opportunity, let's hope it's a success for them, and you never know someone might produce a seamless intake, including nose ring.

28 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

We will, great to have the opportunity, let's hope it's a success for them, and you never know someone might produce a seamless intake, including nose ring.

Pilot Replicas did a good job on this on their Tunnan. But not perfect, and it is true that they are seldom seen... But I am ready to sand a lot to get a 1/32 Tunnan! Worth waiting for! :) 

• Like 1

Looking forward to getting these. I know little about the actual aircraft but I really like the look of it. I also know nothing about the history around the UN planes so I'm looking forward to not only building but also learning. :)

• Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Saab J-29B & F Tunnan by Fly - released