P 51 B Mustang Lt D. ZOERB 52 Fighter Group Italy 1944

Nice and shiny ! If you want to add some different tones, keep in mind that parts of the wings were actually painted while the rest was in natural metal. Leaving the metalcote as it is is a good way to simulate aluminum painted surfaces, while buffing the same paint can lead to different levels of shine to simulate the different natural metal panels

• Like 1

Very nice Patrice - I think that's the first time I've seen Metacote; do you like it? :)

Good evening Ced

Thank you I often use Humbrol Metalcote paints and I recommend  them ..

Nice and shiny ! If you want to add some different tones, keep in mind that parts of the wings were actually painted while the rest was in natural metal. Leaving the metalcote as it is is a good way to simulate aluminum painted surfaces, while buffing the same paint can lead to different levels of shine to simulate the different natural metal panels

Good evening Giorgio

Thank you for the tip I will try to paint some panels in  different shades of NMF ..

Yesterday I painted the antiglare panel on the nose and the red band around

26701454N1.jpg

54323287N2.jpg

Patrice

• Like 5

It is interesting to compare this with the Academy kit on one of your other builds Patrice.

Do you prefer one kit over the other?

The metal cote finish looks good, very appropriate for scale effect.

:goodjob: 

Best regards

TonyT

17 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

It is interesting to compare this with the Academy kit on one of your other builds Patrice.

Do you prefer one kit over the other?

The metal cote finish looks good, very appropriate for scale effect.

:goodjob: 

Best regards

TonyT

Good afternoon Tony

Thank you for your interest ..

I have already built several Academy Mustangs and so far I will say that each one has its advantage and disadvantage so here is my opinion :

The AZ/KP is a nice "short run" kit so it requires a minimum of attention when you close the 2 fuselage halves for example  , the cockpit interior is detailed enough but the canopy is in one piece and it will require some surgery if you want to represent it opened , you can represent the flaps up or down but the wings pylons and tanks are sold separately , the decals sheet is nice but I will tell you latter how they react when I will place them   ..  

The Academy Mustang is easy to build ( I remember reading somewhere that it has some shape issues but I really don't care .).  you can choose to represent the canopy opened or closed , the cockpit interior is well detailed but deserve some work to enhance it or you can use a Eduard PE set especially if you choose to let the canopy opened , in this kit you have 2 types of wing tanks , bombs and rockets ; a very bad point common on all Academy kits are the decals I recommend to use decals from after market sheets ..

Patrice  

• Like 3

Hello Patrice and thank you for describing the two kits :thumbsup2: 

It seems as you say, that really both have positive and negative.

Nevertheless it seems that overall both are quite positive, that both are fun and lead to a nice model. That is all we really need :) .

I have the Academy P-51B in the stash and also an old Polish Kit.

The latter is reviewed here:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/mcpl/kit_mcpl_30490.shtml

For the very low value, it could be worth just using it for pylons and tanks for the KP model? 

I think you you have inspired me to drag the Academy out of the stash, before Christmas :) .

All best regards

TonyT

Good evening Tony

I totally agree with you , one difference between the Academy and Kp is the price ..

I am very pleased if I have inspired you to build the Academy for this Gb

Patrice

• Like 1

Good morning everyone

As Charlie c67 pointed out on this post http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010762-kp-p-51-b-ding-hao-major-howard-354fg/

there is a small gap that you see into the cockpit between the wing root and the flaps and I used some plastic card to try to fill this gap as I wanted to leave the flaps down I will try to post pics latter ..

Patrice

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JimmyZ said:

I really like this one Patrice, nicely done.

I'll have to build a NMF P-51B soon now, after seeing yours.

Cheers

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy

Thank you , I think NMF Mustangs aare the most colourful ..

Patrice

• Like 1