Maintrack Supermarine 508 - Help! - sorted!!

John R

All seemed to be going quite well after starting to build one but when I came to fit the wings to the fuselage it was obvious that something was very wrong. One wing seemed to be higher than the other. Further investigation revealed that when the fuselage was viewed from thr rear one engine exhaust outlet was significantly higher than the other.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and what can be done about it?

508%20front%20view_zpsgziaxpgk.jpg

508%20rear%20view_zpshwrisuu8.jpg

John

PS. I wonder if the same problem is present in the Whirlykits version?

Edited by John R

Short of cutting the fuselage and relining everything up , probably not a lot you can do. I haven't actually seen this kit , but if it's not moulded evenly then the "cut and shut" is normally the only option or live with the discrepancy.

Andrew

I have been in contact with Whirlykits and it is indeed the same mould and it has the same problem...

The error is fixable. When some filler has dried and been sanded I'll post pictures in the next day or so.

John

Progress so far - next step RFI ? :unsure:

First step was to cut out the offending section. Then strips of sheet were put in to replace the removed bits to form an internal skeleton.

The cut out portion was then glued to this in a lower position. The wing having been loosely attached to the removed piece so that it could be aligned by eye as it was put back.

This left lots of holes and uneven bits which were filled with plastic 'goo' made by dissolving offcuts in cement and then smoothed out with Milliput.

It sounds a lot easier and less time consuming than it was but not in the 'experts only' category. Anyway if you want a 508 you have to go through with it as it's the only game in town.

I wonder what the rest of it holds in store...

Modified%20fuselage_zpsefgi9rbs.jpg

508%20rear%20view%20after%20mods_zps2zyo

508%20assembled_zpshxempybs.jpg

John

Edited by John R
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hello there!I have built both the Maintrack and the Whirlybird kits,which are the same,apart from resin instead of white metal for the intakes,jet piepes etc..Very easy to relaign as per the statements above.The photos  were both posted together with a load of Prototypes I have done over the years on the Airfix Swift thread as I recall.Can not put anything on from Photobucket as lost the lot!!

I have been waiting for the Olimp resin version for ages,so maybe it will out after the New Year??Hope so??

Edited by mikestow

Be careful what you wish for! My experience with Olimp has not been one of unalloyed joy. I think they have been threatening a 525 for some while now. I think that Whirlykits are close to releasing their version of the 525. Have you built the Maintrack version of that? If so I would love to hear of your experiences.

John

Hello there,

Yes indeed I am afraid to being a Supermarine enthusiast,so have built the lot pretty well!!The Maintrack 525 is amongst them,as I think the only kit available.I posted it amongst a load of prototypes some time ago,but if Photobucket will allow me,I will try to find it and let you see my offering!?As far as I remember it was the same as the early Maintracks with white metal front intakes and jet pipes etc.I have had miserable experiences with Olimp as well,inparticular with the Seagull,which again is on BM somewhere.But I did hope the Olimp 508 would be nice????

• Like 1

Yes I think I saw your 525 when you posted it but have been unable to locate it. I thought there was a Supermarine 535 there as well or did I imagine it. Was there ever a kit of the 535?

DSCF4491.jpgSupermarine508525002.jpgDSCF4485.jpg

I hope these come out,as photobucket lost them all,but I seem to have found them,so fingers crossed!!Yes the 535 was an Ellot/Contrail from ages ago,and I should have put the Engine blank in the 525,but only fitted an unstamped blank piece of card;I will put some proper Avon engine fronts which I now have!Just forgot about doing it before.

Edited by mikestow
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. Sorry about the delay in acknowledging but somehow I missed this reply - probably because I was at Telford and also I thought that I had posted the question in my 508 thread in RFI.

Interesting to know that the 535 was kitted. I wonder how many are languishing in stashes. I have considered trying to scratchbuild one but I have enough on my plate as it is.

John