Airfix 1/24 Typhoon reboot. Small update 29 August.

Hi everyone

With my VC10 coming to a close I've decided to revisit a build I started back along, the gargantuan Airfix Typhoon 1b.
I fell out of love with the kit when I had huge problems with motor, for whatever reason I just couldn't get the bits to fit as they should, I broke bits and lost bits and I eventually lost my enthusiasm.
With some of the impressive builds of the kit on the site my enthusiasm has been rekindled, I have parts for a new motor and I've picked up another kit with some after market for a song so really I don't have any reason not to restart it. I don't have any progress pictures to show as of yet but I will post as I go.

See you all dreckly

Iain

Hi everyone

Well today has been one of those very rare occasions where I've actually had the day to myself and its been spent in the work shop. I've divided my time between the VC10, which will be getting a gloss coat tomorrow and the Typhoon's Napier Sabre.

After the problems with my original build and after looking at several builds on this site and others from around the net I decided to add as much of the piping and ancillary equipment to the motor as I could and tidy it up once it was attached to the main core of the engine, this was purely to give me something fairly strong to hold onto whilst I was cleaning it up and also it added strength to what could be very fragile pieces.

Some pictures of the semi assembled motor (looks a bit rough but it will improve I promise)....

P1030658_zpsgclv89ow.jpg

P1030657_zps9k8rtn6g.jpg

P1030656_zpsnyfdadkb.jpg

P1030655_zps2eesbj79.jpg

P1030654_zpsu1whszw7.jpg

And after a squirt of XF-1, just to act as a primer to high light any of the real problem areas and also to give the metallic paint something to grip onto....

P1030659_zpsvf5ablcx.jpg

P1030660_zpsxblktpie.jpg

P1030661_zpsrosigwuk.jpg

P1030662_zpsr9hgjvnx.jpg

P1030663_zpskm5q2ykz.jpg

P1030666_zpsyxhaa81z.jpg

...I have to say it looks a lot better with a little paint on it!

Anyway thats all for now

Iain

• Like 5

Hi everyone

Its been a busy day. I've managed to get some basic detail painting done on the Sabre....

P1030677_zpscr59cnik.jpg

P1030678_zps8a5egjce.jpg

P1030679_zpsqrlfdveu.jpg

P1030680_zpslwudse9x.jpg

P1030681_zpsbr01biew.jpg

....Still lots to do to the motor, I'm going to add more plumbing to it once its installed in the fuselage.

Back to work tonight so there probably wont be any updates for a while.

Iain

• Like 6

Hi Iain, good to see you back with another try at this, the engine looks good, just like the beast it is in reality.

Keep it coming.

John

Hi John

Thanks mate. Hopefully 2nd time around I'll have more luck with it. Its going to be my long term project and I have to confess that I am enjoying it (at the moment!)

Iain

• Like 1

Hey christer

Thanks mate - it was your build that got me fired up and wanting a second crack at the kit. The sabre has only had some very basic paint applied to it it still needs detail painting ang weathering. I think once it has been installed into the fuselage it should be quite easy to add a little extra plumbing to it?

Yours was a great build btw and funnily enough I've book marked it 😀,

Regards

Iain

• Like 1

Hey christer

Thanks mate - it was your build that got me fired up and wanting a second crack at the kit. The sabre has only had some very basic paint applied to it it still needs detail painting ang weathering. I think once it has been installed into the fuselage it should be quite easy to add a little extra plumbing to it?

Yours was a great build btw and funnily enough I've book marked it ,

Regards

Iain

Thanks Iain!

Except for the oil pipes D03 and D01 it's fairly easy to add more pipes, hoses and wires if you'd like.

• Like 1

Morning guys n gals

I'd like your opinions as to the weathering, if any for my Typhoon's Sabre motor. I was going to add washes, graphite dust, pastels etc but I'm not sure its needed. I plan to display the model with a few panels removed (like she is being serviced in the field kinda like this Typhoon here.....

sabre%205_Fotor_zpsinoqgwqu.jpg

The airframe looks rather beaten up but the motor on the other hand looks pretty tidy to me. So here is my effort so far with only basic painting and buffing......

P1030682_Fotor_zpsr05bp3gz.jpg

P1030683_Fotor_zpszmrl9xbt.jpg

P1030684_Fotor_zpscshncsqp.jpg

P1030685_Fotor_zpsmz4lqvkn.jpg

P1030686_Fotor_zpsurow1qeu.jpg

P1030688_Fotor_zpsqe8iexgy.jpg

P1030687_Fotor_zpsqb3vjpll.jpg

...I'm more than happy to weather it but which areas do you think should receive the most attention?

Thanks for any input in advance.

Iain

• Like 4

Well, the engines got probably way less hours on them than the airframe, so it stands to reason that they're not as dirty...

Topside is almost all electrical stuff, but the sides and especially the bottom is where the oil would end up. That's where I'd splash some goo around atleast.

Off course, dust and dirt would get everywhere anyway :)

• Like 1

Well, the engines got probably way less hours on them than the airframe, so it stands to reason that they're not as dirty...

Topside is almost all electrical stuff, but the sides and especially the bottom is where the oil would end up. That's where I'd splash some goo around atleast.

Off course, dust and dirt would get everywhere anyway :)

I have heard the Napier engines only had a 20 hour average life between rebuilds

Gents thank you very much I had no idea that the engines had such short lives. I think, as Christer has suggested, that I will add a little grime to the bottom of the motor but leave the rest fairly clean.

Nice one.

Iain

As Christer says above.

Only real change I would make is the plumbing that goes over the front of the engine. It looks in the photo to a bright coloured pipe but with dark bands around it. Maybe bright steel tube with black bands for protection. So I would make the pipe between the Bands lighter. That and maybe a brown wash around the joints in the HT circuit piping (?) to the plugs. Then I would leave it. Oil would drip down and collect with the dusk in the air frame lower down, leaking out of various panel joints..

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 1

Actually I have another question for chaps in the black and white photo of the Typhoon with her skirts showing the fuel tanks look as though they are self sealing types? Am I right in assuming that? And if so would they be a red colour?

Cheers

Iain

As Christer says above.

Only real change I would make is the plumbing that goes over the front of the engine. It looks in the photo to a bright coloured pipe but with dark bands around it. Maybe bright steel tube with black bands for protection. So I would make the pipe between the Bands lighter. That and maybe a brown wash around the joints in the HT circuit piping (?) to the plugs. Then I would leave it. Oil would drip down and collect with the dusk in the air frame lower down, leaking out of various panel joints..

Yep I gotta agree with you on the pipe work around the front of the motor, it should be an aluminium colour with dark cladding.....

sabre%206_Fotor_zpsredfqkmy.jpg

I'm off out to the workshop for a minute...please don't tell the wife!

Iain

So we never made it to the skip but instead we wound up here......

photo_Fotor_zpsagddmqju.jpg

....just up the road from where we live, Mylor. We had a cracking breakfast, got our dog in the water and had a pint on the way home, really what could be better?

Iain

Ok

So in order to give the motor some wear and tear I gave it a semi gloss coat then liberally sprayed it with Flory models "dark dirt" wash.....

P1030695_Fotor_zpsp5mvx3h2.jpg

...my rational is once the wash has dried I can go at it with moistened cotton buds (q-tips) and remove all the wash from the high areas leaving the crud thats collected in all the low areas in situ. So in theory I should be able to control where the weathering is applied very easily and once I'm satisfied reseal with a semi gloss coat - well thats the plan anyway.

Here's till next time.

Iain

• Like 3

That engine sure is looking better by the minute!

Thank you!

Ha I would've forgotten it, once again thanks mate.

Possibly Probably the best place in the world for breakfast. Often there for a bacon butty Mmmmmm

Kev

Hey Kev its great down Mylor and yes the breakfasts are very good and so is their cappuccino ummmmm when am I off again....not til next week DOH!

Iain