**Finished** - PBS 66Sqn Spitfire Mk1

defiants had the sky and dark earth painted, now for the dark green camo before doing the sky demarcations

81ECA2CF-326B-49FA-89E0-AD5082283A1C_zps

dorniers fuselage is now closed, not happy with the pilots but not much I can do now, after 4 coats of paint the damage is done, followed stew dapples advice to fit the pilots in differing seats to the instructions, they all fit though lost the control yoke, no way I can get it back in, pilots in the way

73DA3DEA-8C8D-44BB-8A1C-0B29FCBA038F_zps

• Like 4

dorneirs all together now, though can't get the underside glazing to fit. Done some filling though need to craft some replacement elevator tabs as mr absent minded here cut them off after correctly cutting the tabs off the flaps

defiant on pause, the inevitable happened, the kit gun barrels have disintegrated so have to get the resin ones

update time, spent ages masking the dornier splinters, and when I removed it it was clear the paint had ridged massively sanded them down but now got to hand touch them up..what was the point of masking.....

EDIT: decided to start again, and despite sanding all the ridges till it appears as smooth as possible, there visible under a recoat of RLM71, so looks like I have to just use them as a guide to remask? how to avoid ridges this time?

Edited by PhantomBigStu

EDIT: decided to start again, and despite sanding all the ridges till it appears as smooth as possible, there visible under a recoat of RLM71, so looks like I have to just use them as a guide to remask? how to avoid ridges this time?

If you are airbrushing I would suggest spraying into the area to be painted while keeping the airbrush on the outside of the masking tape. Ridges form when paint is pressed against the tape's edge, so keeping the tape between the airbrush and the area to paint would minimise this.

I'm not a brush painter but would guess that using the brush from the outside in, over the tape, would also minimise ridges.

Does this make any sense?

Jaime

• Like 1

That might be it, had a very heavy Friday night, may well have been brushing in the wrong direction without noticing, which given I did two coats may well be the issue, never had it so bad normally you a quick sand with the 1200 grit touch up and go....

• Like 1

Hi Stu,

Sometimes a clean start is the better option. Don't let it loose your motivation. You'll get on track in no time :)

Cheers

Jaime

a load of oven cleaner, nail polish remover and elbow grease later got most of the paint off, thought if I gave what remained a good sanding it would be fine...repainted two coats of RLM71 and the finish is quite uneven and worst the port elevator fell of and now can see daylight between it and the wing

also my resin guns arrived so work restarted on the defiant, got the eduard mask out for the turret, absolute nightmare trying to find the panel lines, was near impossible but does look better than freehanding it so perhaps worth it

motivation is pretty low though, finsihed one that looks a bit naff, the trails of these two, swifts buggered before its even started and a lightning that the paint will not go on nice :(

Edited by PhantomBigStu

well decals all on the defiant aside from the walkway that disintegrated and 4 little tiny ones which went missing when I inadvertently stuck my wet hand over the little bits of paper they were on , gloss coat all overr to seal. now to paint the black bit on the prop eek

8C89D5BA-ACC4-41FE-9154-C40E12C063BD_zps

splinters redone on the dornier, gone better this time, still needs touching up plus the demarcation of the fuselages done before final assembly and decaling

• Like 5

The Defiant is taking shape nicely! I hope you're not too depressed about the Dornier and go back to it soon.

Cheers

Jaime

Cheers, as the 2nd part of my post says I've gone back to the dornier, looks big better, tbh no worse than the defiant looked before decalling and touch ups which made a world of difference, dunno when I'll get back, going to the bridge tommorow, and what little spare time is allocated to another build

oh damm, the dornier bitten me again, realised the fuslage window needed refitiing, after a lot of fiddling got it back in place, squirted some superglue onto the inner bits. then decided it wasn't quite right so gave it a nudge to fit better and it promptly fell of into a pool of superglue excess on the bombbay ceiling, klear did not unfog it, and now its vanished.....as has the starboard rudder

Edited by PhantomBigStu

That's a pity Stu :( you can ask a spare from Airfix but right now they seem to have none available for the transparent parts. I also have a problem with my Dornier transparent parts: they are foggy and some kind of fluid mixed up with the plastic during the moulding process. I'm now waiting for Airfix to send me a spare sprue.

Cheers

Jaime