Star Trek U.S.S Enterprise Flight Display (AMT / ERTL)

wimbledon99

Hi Nigel look forward to this, like the AMT clanger on the instructions front sheet NCC-1707? the enterprise being 1701 LOL

All the best Chris

Indeed!!

At least they have the decals correct ;)

OK

So here are the fruits of my labour this weekend.However, I have a bit of a conundrum.

The main slot is really tight and I'm nervous that I'll scrape off any fuselage paint when coming to the final fit. I'm thinking about just painting a coat of Klear (for the decals) and a bit of colour for the warp drives. Does anyone have any thoughts / ideas?

Cheers

IMG_1144_zpsqczbmwnr.jpg

Just a thought, could you not open up the slot by carefully cutting/sanding only the lower edge of the slot, so that any slight marks to the Perspex are not seen from above.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have contemplated this but the slot has been cut so cleanly I don't want to run the risk of spoiling it. I guess the fit is so tight in order to stop the model from drooping so this could also introduce other issues.

Hence, If I do paint it, I may just try some white primer and touch it up if required.

Cheers

Great stuff so far. :goodjob:

I second whitestar's comment and try to open the hole just a little. I'm sure you can polish the edges once you have a better fit. You will need a really togh final coat on the model either way.

Just depends on how much time you have to spend on it.

This looks like an interesting project. I haven't seen this kit before with it's display base. I shall follow with interest.

I'd be inclined to do a little bit of sanding of the lower edge as Chris suggested - but only a bit at a time with a lot of test fitting. Entirely up to you though.

Kind regards,

Stix

If you seal the ships with a good, solid clear coat it should protect it enough not to worry about messing up the paint or decals.

AMT/ERTL did several of these flight display bases not only for Star Trek and Star Wars kits but also the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels. There are a couple of build ups over on Starship Modeler (one of a Klingon Bird of Prey and the other the Star Wars Speeder Bike) and neither of them mention any issues.

If you seal the ships with a good, solid clear coat it should protect it enough not to worry about messing up the paint or decals.

AMT/ERTL did several of these flight display bases not only for Star Trek and Star Wars kits but also the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels. There are a couple of build ups over on Starship Modeler (one of a Klingon Bird of Prey and the other the Star Wars Speeder Bike) and neither of them mention any issues.

Cool - Thanks for the info. I'll have a look on the site :)

OK - I've opted to give the Alclad white primer a go and see what happens when I try to fit them back into the perspex. Worst case is I have to mask the perspex and tidy things up.

Progress will be slow however as I have a rugby tour this weekend and I have family here over Easter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Nigel.

Hope you're having a good weekend.

Good to see some progress on these again. They're all looking very neat and tidy.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Nigel.

Hope you're having a good weekend.

Good to see some progress on these again. They're all looking very neat and tidy.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix and thanks.

We had family down for the weekend so just managed to grab a couple of hours before they arrived. I'm hoping to do a bit more during the week so hopefully a few more pictures to follow.

Cheers :)

• Like 1

Hi Nigel. I hope you and the family had a good time and I look forward to seeing the photos.

Kind regards,

Srtix

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...