RAF B-25J

Julien

I have the revell 1/48 B-25J but comes with red bull markings.

Are there any RAF markings out there for this kit?

Thanks

Julien

Hi Julien

I don't know if there are decals for a J, there are for the C/D....

Now, the B-25J is the Mitchell in RAF use. A quick google gets this

http://kw.jonker.co/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=598:north-american-b-25cd-and-b-25j-raf-and-rnlas-uk&catid=93〈=en&Itemid=555&showall=1&limitstart=

Dutch squadrons with the RAF,

78e5595c-bd0b-d0c3-177a-29ed14a024c1.jpg

Colours are Olive Drab over Neutral Gray.

this is worth a read

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234926836-b-25-in-raf/

note posts #18 and #19 by me and Tony O T, does not a Free French one sound appealing?

the 98 sq one could be done with some generic code letters and serials.

the best B-25J scheme is of course the VVS one...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932356-unusual-b-25j-colours/

Soviet specified colours applied in the US

RusskieMitchell002.jpg

• Like 1

Julien, If you do pick the Eagle Editions sheet you might want to check this review: http://www.modelingmadness.com/others/decals/fentonec25.htm

Useful review

note this

The color notes state that the external colors were 41 Dark Olive Drab over 43 Neutral Gray - the standard USAAF scheme. However, in the September 1971 issue of IPMS magazine, Mr. Malcolm Scott, a Navigator/Bomb Aimer with 139 Wing (98, 180, 320 Sqns.) stated, "By the end of 1944 comparatively few Mitchells wore the standard daytime scheme of dark green and dark earth on the upper surfaces nor were they in the American olive drab. It may have been because the removal of the black and white invasion strips was dealt with more speedily by spraying overall in one colour but when I joined 180 Squadron in November 1944 nearly all the Mitchells of 139 Wing were finished in a grey green colour…The underside colour (usually divided in a straight line) was grey…". Mr. Scott provides the colour mixes using Humbrol paints. Perhaps one of the readers can provide further information on this paint scheme.

while not a Mitchell III, but a II, this colours shot, while shifted to yellow, [note 'orange' codes letters] does show a very green uppersurface and a pale grey underneath...

local repaint in RAF Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey to remove D-Day stripes? Note, the rear fuselage stripes were reinstated in the autumn of 1944 as a recognition measure, see link - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234926836-b-25-in-raf/

[already posted above]

14227311050_495b634a3e_c.jpg

does show an interesting contrast to this from 1943

184976d1322605337t-done-1-48-raf-b-25j-m

cheers

T

I think that just shows what differences you can get from different printings of the same photo - I've seen that line-up looking much greener. Paul Lucas did an article on RAF Mitchells in Model Aircraft Monthly (I'll dig it out the date later, if anyone is interested) wherein he argues that the greener colour could be due to the use of the later ANA Olive Drab, but I didn't find it entirely convincing and I don't think that many commentators did either. However I recall several comments over the years to the effect that OD was greener in the later years of the war, which may have been due to a variety of factors.

I doubt if the Mitchell Mk.III`s were repainted anyway as they didn`t have Stripes applied, so OD/Neutral Grey would be OK for those. It was the Mk.II`s which may have been repainted in the darker green colour.

Cheers

Tony

I'm no expert but from previous research for one of my own builds (the old Italieri 1.72 kit), the top surface colour was olive drab everywhere with the exception of where the cheek guns were removed and repairs. The Italieri temperate scheme of dark earth and RAF green was pants.

The Italeri scheme of Dk Earth Dk Green was applied to an RAF Mitchell but as far as I know it was only the prototype/first production Mk.I,.....so it was actually used,....just not much! I don`t think that it ever wore D-Day stripes or even went into operational service, just remaining at Boscombe Down!

I meant to say that the Mitchell Mk.III`s (apart from the Free French ones!) also had yellow outlined C1 Type roundels pained on top of the wings rather than the red and blue B Types. I`m not sure about below the wings?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

I meant to say that the Mitchell Mk.III`s (apart from the Free French ones!) also had yellow outlined C1 Type roundels pained on top of the wings rather than the red and blue B Types. I`m not sure about below the wings?

Cheers

Tony

Not in the image I posted above though, C yes, but not C1 as far as I can see.

78e5595c-bd0b-d0c3-177a-29ed14a024c1.jpg

I can't see them in the Mitchell III photo on 2nd TAF vol 4 either [top of page 640]

I know it was standard on fighter types in the 2nd TAF after Jan 45, but for the bombers as well?

Cheers

Tony

All I can say to that is good, I built an Airfix B25J and put Matchbox B25 transfers on it, then sat back and noticed the wing roundels had a yellow border which up until now I thought was wrong.

The 2nd TAF ones did, as ordered on 3 January 1945, like the rest of the 2nd TAF's day flying aircraft.

On the same day, the Air Ministry issued instructions for red/white/blue roundels on the upper wing, in line with a previous 2TAF request, so it isn't surprising to find some variation in what was actually carried, at least for a short period.

Edited by Graham Boak