Airfix 1/48 Saab JA 37 Jaktviggen

Worked on the bottom intake braces today. I used the stock ones, which are too big, about twice as big as they need to be. However, they have the correct mounting angle for the side of the fuselage. I just glued them to the fuselage and bottom of the intakes. Once the superglue dried, I used a sharp x-acto knife to trim them down to the correct size and thickness:

build_45a.jpg

• Like 1

I've been wrestling with the top intake struts/braces for the past couple of days. I'm still not happy and will probably spend another day on it before moving on.

build_45b.jpg

The four vents are now glued to the top of the fuselage. The vents were a little thick, so I trimmed inside the opening to make them thinner.

build_46a.jpg

build_46b.jpg

Had a heck of a time trying to position each piece into the correct position and applying glue since each is so small.

Squadron Green putty is used to smoothly blend the base of the vertical tail to the top of the aft fuselage. Unfortunately, the putty partially filled up the panel lines on the vertical tail, so they would need to be rescribed. Pics showing the vertical tail after a coat of Mr. Resin Primer has been applied:

build_46c.jpg

build_46d.jpg

Note the filled panel lines at the base of the vertical tail.

Panel lines at the base of the vertical fin rescribed:

build_46e.jpg

On the right side, the Dymo tape used for guiding the scriber lifted the resin primer in several spots, but no big deal:

build_46f.jpg

You can almost see the green putty at the rescribed lines.

I'm several days away from spraying the final coat of primer. I like to install the front instrument panel, HUD, and windshield before then. This way, I can blend the base of the windshield to the top of the fuselage.

Wow, this is proper modelling! Even if I had the skill (which I most certainly don't), I wouldn't have the patience to do what you are doing! Absolutely fantastic to watch this unfold - thanks for sharing.

PS I love the Viggen - saw one flying for the first time last year at RAF Leuchars air show and thought it looked like it had been pensioned off too early as it still looked pretty capable.

Good work Richard - I just had a catch up through 3 or 4 pages, and it's good to see the progress you've made :)

I stared at the HUD supports for a while and decided they were too tall and didn't angle back enough, so I cut them out and trimmed them slightly to achieve a better angle:

build_47e.jpg

Stunning build and great presentation - a real page turner. I just started looking today, and have that cliffhanger feeling after nine pages - like when a really good television show ends, and you say, "that was really an hour? I thought we were only halfway through!"

Welcome to the show. The good part is not too far away.

Primed with Tamiya grey primer, then sprayed with Patra acrylic anti-glare panel black:

build_47f.jpg

The HUD is now mounted:

build_48a.jpg

build_48b.jpg

build_48c.jpg

I see some ugliness in these pictures that I didn't see with my naked eyes. Will need to fix them.

Since the kit does not provide the round Radar Warning Receiver (RWR) in the rear fairing behind the tail fin, I decided to make my own by rounding the end of a piece of spare sprue:

build_48d.jpg

Cut it out:

build_48e.jpg

And installed:

build_48f.jpg

build_48g.jpg

It still needs some final tweaking. Scratch building for the win :)

• Like 2