HK Models 1/32nd scale B-17G

First of all a big THANK YOU for sharing all those juicy pics of progressive build with us!

Very helpfull!

The Skipper is a very interesting fort but somehow I think that your model is too clean, uniform and tidy. At least according to color photos of the real thing. On such a big model I think that you should spend more time making the weathered OD/NG cammouflage more interesting.

Josip

Thanks for your critique Josip, it's much appreciated.

I must confess I'm not a huge fan of too much weathering for two reasons:

1) I'm not very good at it (some exhaust staining and a little oil is about my limit!)

2) Due to the above, I'm terrified of overdoing the weathering and spoiling the scale effect of the model. I'm not a fan of creating the patchwork quilt effect that seems to be the done thing at the moment, and in my opinion many models are over-weathered and the effect too stark for a realistic scale finish. Don't get me started on highlighting panel lines etc!

Granted, Skipper could have been a lot dirtier than I've finished her, and if the truth be known probably was, but I prefer models weathered to a lesser degree rather than the 'sitting in a Davis-Monthan bone yard for the last 50 years' look.

Just my opinion, but again thank you for sharing yours :)

Tom

• Like 3

I wholeheartedly agree Tom. It's a very fine model for both reasons you've given. And to have achieved it on such a large canvas is even more creditable.

Al

Edited by PHaTNesS

This is a great build. Weathering is such an iffy subject. To me, it leans towards your aesthetics. You could take the same aircraft and take a picture before a long mission and a picture after a combat mission and have the basis for two aircraft that just happen to share the same markings. I was just looking at this kit yesterday and amazed at the size of the parts. I have too many unbuilt, being built kits to justify starting this one. Your rendering makes me want to start it though. Congrats on such a nice build. Now to look at your WIP thread and drool.

• 2 years later...
On 27/01/2014 at 18:47, tomprobert said:

Thanks for your critique Josip, it's much appreciated.

I must confess I'm not a huge fan of too much weathering for two reasons:

1) I'm not very good at it (some exhaust staining and a little oil is about my limit!)

2) Due to the above, I'm terrified of overdoing the weathering and spoiling the scale effect of the model. I'm not a fan of creating the patchwork quilt effect that seems to be the done thing at the moment, and in my opinion many models are over-weathered and the effect too stark for a realistic scale finish. Don't get me started on highlighting panel lines etc!

Granted, Skipper could have been a lot dirtier than I've finished her, and if the truth be known probably was, but I prefer models weathered to a lesser degree rather than the 'sitting in a Davis-Monthan bone yard for the last 50 years' look.

Just my opinion, but again thank you for sharing yours :)

Tom

I agree too, i've never seen highlighted panel lines in real life, or when modellers spray them black, if you look at wartime photos of aircraft they look nothing like even the best models...............models to me look wrongly weathered.

WOW - that must have taken a huge tin of paint :lol: Beautiful job!!!

I understand what you mean about weathering - my skills are so basic I dread ruining a great model by making a mess of the finishing touches - yours looks amazing :clap2: