A Little Duck of the Grumman Variety

Well, here we go!

First the opening boxshot. It is the latest boxing and is rather attractive both inside and out!

DSCF1229.jpg

Next the contents and a rather tasty decal sheet by Cartograph :Tasty: Oh look, Argentinian markings...

DSCF1232.jpg

Next a shot of the sprues, all that lovely flash, injector pining, sink-marking and industrial, maritime-esque rivetting! :frantic:

DSCF1233.jpg

The transparencies, all in their coke-bottle bottom, distorted, sink-marked glory :whistle:

DSCF1236.jpg

and the limit of my reference (+ internet of course); Jorge F. Nunez Padin's tome on the Duck in Argentine service (guess which scheme it will be finished in) and some plans sourced from the LSP web site (if they are yours, let me know so I can say a public thank you!) :winkgrin:

DSCF1241.jpg

The (in)famous legless gunner ( :drink:) and his more anatomically complete pilot :wicked:

DSCF1235.jpg

After having a quick look at the plans, book and model two areas that need correcting have emerged, (not counting flash, injector pin marks, sink marks, scars, etc.), as indicated by the high-tech 'Blue Peter' paper arrows.

b9705016-c684-4ca7-9cbb-a63782681143.jpg

The top arrow points to a kink along the top line of the nose, and the lower to a prominent flaring.

Comparing these two features to available information it appears that these are both features of the OA-12 and OA-12A versions.

The top line will be a simple fill and sand flush with a little rounding at the extreme forward end.

However, after an exhausting afternoon recovering from yesterday's President's Award (local DofE) 25K hike I noticed that several images of J2F-6 airframes also had this feature.

Problem!

So, after looking at all the images in the book it became apparent that none of the Argentinian airframes had this flaring. So, out with the 6" heavy-duty file and off they will come!

If anybody can supply chapter and verse on the kink and flaring I would like to know please!

Overall this kit looks to be reasonably accurate and seems to fit very well. Yup, most of the pieces fell (with help from the sprue cutters) off the sprues shortly after the above photo's were taken.

Finally, for tonight, a quick look at the outside modelling bench and environs (yes, the lovely Yvonne is away for the week!)

Looking left

DSCF1237.jpg

Looking right

DSCF1238.jpg

and above

DSCF1239.jpg

It has gone dark now, (the tropics you know). So once my inside bench is cleared I'll get cracking and post up some more images.

TTFN

Christian the Married and exiled to Africa

You tease!

Good luck, I always liked the little duck, not as pretty as an AEW3 Gannet, but still hot.

Pete

Pete,

Yes they both have a certain sartorial elegance... :wicked:

Speedman,

Errrrrr, well my wife is away back home in the UK, soooooooooooo...............

Do squirrels and birds count? :whistle:

Got to follow this one! An Argentine Duck modelled in the tropics of Africa - what could be more right than that? Although I dare say my PB4Y build has more rivets than your Duck! :tease:

Lovely garden you have there, right suitable for use as a paint booth I should say. Unless your locality is burdened with laws barring the release of such effluvium.

Cheers,

Bill the Wrinkled, exiled in Rottenchester (New York, although my ancestor, Edward Gilman, came from Hingham, Norfolk by way of Gravesend)

Hi Christian

Love the garden but can I ask is the Lion looking through the hedge at the back yours ? :elephant:

Cheers Pat

Haha - I went and had another look at the pics - doh!!

Bill,

You are more than welcome to the rivets, if you wish to add them to your collection :wicked: Actually they are not that bad, quite fine and you could say subdued (I know Airfix in the '60's!).

Luckily there are no laws here about effluvium and I had not thought about spraying outside... :hmmm: If Yvonne 'asks' I'm blaming you! :whistle:

Carlos,

THank you for the link, there are lots of nice and interesting photos inside.

Col,

Many thank for your magnanimity ;) . I was worried I might get banned for showing the outside extension to the modelling room. It is 20 degrees here now (08:45L) and have just skyped Yvonne (8 degrees, now I am in trouble). If it gets too cold we have several dorms empty at the moment... :whistle:

Pat,

You noticed Fred the (Invisible) lion. Does that mean he has another friend apart from me :fool:

See if I can get some photos of my other friend Fred the elephant in the front garden later :frantic::elephant:

Bench is now 'organised', nearly, ish, so later hopefully there will be another plastic-based update.

Happy hunting!

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

Edited by wyverns4

Hi All,

Well it has been a couple of hard days slowly carving, sanding and filing under the merciless sun :winkgrin:

In the first image all the little blue blobs (Bluetack!) are sitting on ejector pin marks that will need to be removed. Just the ones that will not be hidden. There are so many :raincloud:

fd2654fe-2972-4df0-8569-2dfd0f4d2f72.jpg

The next shows the after effects of removing the forward flairings...

DSCF1245.jpg

Sorry its a bit out of focus, but I think you get the picture (ho. ho!). The fuselage is now gossamer thin on both sides and will need some packing from behind (Oooh, Matron!) :doh:

I had taken some photos of the wings both pre (lines, scars and a scale 4 inch trailing edge) and post (smooth, aerodynamic NACA Clark cross-section and sharp trailing edge) but the images are fuzzy. Any ideas on how to do better? :hmmm:

Lastly, the cowling and propellor

c20ca144-6a7e-4873-92a0-65947b615ba2.jpg

Apologies again for them being fuzzy (please help!), but I think you can see the main details: a propellor lurking somewhere with the flash and un-aligned moulds and the cowling with a scale six inch thick rear edge and three ejector pin marks (one fell off!).

So out with the usual tools and an outing for little Miss Dremel with the cowling. :frantic:

Also today I have started to 'refine' the tail surfaces, i.e. produce an aerodynamic cross-section, along with a final rubbing down of the fuselage. No pictures as, well, lets just say with all that plastic swarf and dust, it's not a pretty picture.

More later,

Christian the Married and exiled to Africa

Murphy`s War was on the telly the other day and I`d love to build Peter O`Toole`s overall blue Duck! I remember building this kit when it first came out and was really impressed that it had a room with windows below the rear gunners cockpit!

I`ll be following this one with interest,...good luck!

Cheers

Tony O