1/350 HMS Ark Royal, 1987 - sailing back from the Shelf of Doom

This might look as though there has been very little progress, but actually I've got a long way today. If you look back at some of the pictures in post 168, you can see that the join between the replacement front end of the flight deck and the Phalanx deck wasn't quite lining up - and I was wondering how to sort it. Then I realised that the CIWS deck is scratch built anyway, so why not just replace it. So off comes the CIWD deck:

d3d421bf2fca06d9f847d313ad90f135_zpsac0c

Then I started again with a single piece of plastic to make a single deck from the bow right back...

e31230f87ba729e29603419dfcd7c897_zps2aba

4830047e92315fefc0299f6579361fb7_zps5b03

That's a good couple of hours of sanding and dry fitting, but it'll be worth it in the end.

More tomorrow.

Crisp

• Like 4

Starting to tidy up round the edges of the flight deck now - the port quarter is a different shape in Ark from the other two hulls, so I've had to remodel the spurn water / flight deck loop housing; this now looks a lot neater (the white bit is replacement deck edge etc., and by the look of it I might need to extend it for'd a little):

f188bc43dedd3ab3b1bd4a4589fdede8_zpsa693

Also getting ready to fit the cat walks, which are much smaller than the Lusty ones modelled by Airfix. Top marks to WEM for including them, which has saved me loads of scratch work. For now I am at least getting them fettled and ready; they might not be fitted for a while.

Only gravity holding this one in place, but it is beginning to fit nicely.

0f0de14e8c0359b10230925d21c4e2b9_zpsc37c

abb5cfea4849c578d70d4f484f0c6199_zps073d

Steady, but pleasing progress.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

Those catwalks look great, so far - watch the thinners tin. When I opened my envelope from WEM I saw these and they filled me dread. They still do a little bit.

Thinners tin?

Jar with the green top??...

Ah yes. Not thinners, but Tamiya cement - but I take the point!

I confess I was trying to work out what auto-correct could have turned into "thinners tin" - some comment about the PE catwalks, perhaps?

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Jar with the green top??

Oh, spent a pleasant hour reading the thread - very interesting build and giving me a bit of encouragement to get my Indefatigable off the shelf of doom...

Indefat? Do tell. What scale? What catastrophe put it onto the Shelf in the first place?

Inevitable, really. Since I last wrote I have been double checking references, and it appears that5 my era Ark has a slightly different layout of her catwalks than the others - specifically the layout of the liferaft canisters along the port side. A small part of me wishes I'd never spotted it, but now that I have I have to fix it, or it will always bug me!

It's difficult to illustrate, so you might just have to take my word for it, but here I have started to fix it. The big stroke of luck is that I have a mate who has built this kit, including using the WEM PE, but as a straight Lusty - which means he has the Ark / Invincible bit of the PE still available. This will give me just enough spares to get the job done without too much pain.

For some reason best known to the RN, Lusty has some slots on her catwalks with 5 rows of life rafts, and some with 4, and some with 3. Ark's were all 4 in the late-80s, which means some of the holes are too big. It is hard to see in this shot, but the slot on the left is a 5 open, and that on the right (which I have already extended with some very careful razor saw action) is a 4 but started out as a 3.

I now need to find a way of making the left hand one, as we look, about 20% narrower - which will probably mean replacing it entirely with a spare section of catwalk wall from my mate's set.

3c9840659ed94da1ae27d741f1c45fab_zpsd648

Probably easier to see the difference in size in this pic.

7a1f7f578b6d06815f1438b9bc2b053e_zps1ef5

Otherwise, this PE is excellent, and really takes the model to a different place. Getting it to fit properly round my newly re-worked port quarter is a bit of a game, but lots of dry fitting and careful filing of fragile pieces and I am gradually getting there.

991525070dbf7abc2b904f12841007d0_zps0fd0

Once all this is in place, I then have to build the 24 liferaft racks on the port side (though I will fit the catwalks properly before that, or the impact of any sanding and filling will be mayhem!)

More soon...

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Indefat? Do tell. What scale? What catastrophe put it onto the Shelf in the first place?

It's based on the Heller 1/400 Illustrious kit. I made up the hull, cut it to make a waterline model and then extended it as the Indefatigable was longer than the Illustrious. It was at the point it stalled as I couldn't get the profile of the rear hull to look right. But I think I have a cunning plan (Mr Fox) so it will be coming off the shelf once my current build (a VW party bus) is finished!

• Like 1

That would be the blind leading the blind, Steve! The biggest problem - which I am yet to resolve fully - is what glue to use. CA certainly works, but it is as rigid as a very rigid thing on a specially rigid day in Stifftown, which means that even the tiniest flex in the part (and the catwalks are obviously pretty long and thin) means it pops off at high speed. Fine now, but aggravating in the extreme if it does it after you have carefully filled, sanded, faired in, painted...

I have had some quite good results with white glue on the fo'c'sle, so I think I am going to try that next. The other thing I have learned it to have a fairly fine grade sanding stick to hand (preferably an old one that you don't mind getting manky!). Any glue spilled onto the surface of the PE comes off easy as anything while it is still fresh, but turns into immovable concrete if you leave it more than a few minutes.

The vice is a godsend, as is my hold and fold thingy. But the one thing you definitely cannot do without is a lot of patience; working with PE if you're in any kind of hurry is fatal!

P.S. When I get a little time at a weekend (so not soon...) I plan to experiment with soldering PE. The problem of tiny mating surfaces is every bit as prevalent in 1/350 as it is in 1/48!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

I have had some quite good results with white glue on the fo'c'sle, so I think I am going to try that next.

I might have a play with that idea as well. I like the logic of it getting around the unforgiving rigidity of cyano - especially as ultimate grip strength is probably not the key issue.

• Like 1

I might have a play with that idea as well. I like the logic of it getting around the unforgiving rigidity of cyano - especially as ultimate grip strength is probably not the key issue.

Exactly - particularly if you use Ant's idea of combining the two. These catwalks are laminated onto plastic card to give the deck some rigidity (WEM's suggestion) - otherwise they'd be flopping about all over the place and would bend horribly even when fitted. That does at least mean that there is a reasonable area of plastic for the side walls (as it were) to bond onto. - as you say, that means that they are reasonably strong.

The biggest headache so far (apart from the bloody Navy re-configuring the layout of the life rafts just to annoy me; can't those fish-heads leave anything alone?) is getting the port quarter section right. The catwalk there bends rounds the corner and ends up with a ladder down onto the Phalanx deck, and I have completely rebuilt that, of course, so I am going to have to find a PE ladder from somewhere and fettle it to fit; it is actually quite prominent.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

Ah yes. Not thinners, but Tamiya cement - but I take the point!

I confess I was trying to work out what auto-correct could have turned into "thinners tin" - some comment about the PE catwalks, perhaps?

Sorry yes, an under the belt comment from me. It all worked out ok in the end, so I reckon I'm in the clear.

Great work on the PE. Re the rigidity issue, I've always thought CA to be very brittle with the slightest knock sending the bit pinging off somewhere. What are the long term effects of using PVA though? Can't remember if it's paintable (certainly not with water-based paints). I guess the problem is that PE, and resin I suppose, doesn't bond/ weld like plastic. I would guess the best way would be to solder PE together, but then the scale effect can be lost.

Not much this week - I went down to Cornwall to see a bit of this at CU:
CUAirDay13_zps3a96bde6.jpg

CUAirDay4_zpse3679cd0.jpg

But I have now got all three catwalks fitted (the deck pieces, that is, with the remodelled walls to follow):

e3049c04b0cc08f77998b662cb6c622b_zps73e5

d98f59d0a3e17863f345159f53cd5a7b_zps5cfd

a4970ce9cda0ec72c06218d271021f7a_zpsbb7f

c8ebd14bc04b58b8ed01d55cdaf552fd_zps9e18

I am away for the next few days, so this is likely to be it for a couple of weeks, though I might possibly sneak in an hour or two here and there.

Happy modelling!

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

Ever since I built the anchor cables and the capstans area of the fo'c's'le, I have been a bit dissatisfied with the level of detail. It was just a question of whether I'd get too far down the painting road before I cracked... and I didn't. Off came the old, rather crude, reinforcing plates that protect the deck from the cables, and I have replaced them with some adapted sections of Lusty catwalk. This is not 100% accurate, but once painted it will look a whole lot better than the simple slabs of plastic that were there before. Note also the start of added detail for the forward bulkhead that sits beneath the Sea Dart launcher - Airfix's Goalkeeper ammo lockers, cut down.

b461193ad82ffd21b244715a7d53afed_zpsb89c

...and the same thing with the fo'c's'le deck dry fitted (adding the detail once the deck is in place would be three times as hard).

bf81a90f8ddcbd8e6777d17d65e292d8_zps465e

Also started to add detail to the catwalks, starting with port aft. The flight deck loop has been tacked in place all along the side (the thing that looks like a horizontal ladder), and I have put in the first 4 (of about 30) PE life raft brackets - a major improvement on Airfix's offering:

e0d3ca0499308960953ad2a80cc1da61_zps335c

...and with 4 life rafts balanced in place (not cleaned up or anything - just to gauge the spacing before the CA gel dried):

a3e2060b518489f1091d7d27890e9fe8_zps3df0

• Like 1