MAS Italian Torpedo Boat

Fair comment !

I keep thinking I should paint an oily tide mark slightly down from the top edge of anti-fouling.

To be honest though at this stage in my modelling career ( :winkgrin: ) I'm not good enough to portray it without mucking up whats gone before......

Any thoughts on how to portray it would be most welcome (perferably fool proof LOL)

Cheers Kev

Hi Christian,

Thank you for your kind words. . . . .

I certainly have plans for your hulls . . . . most probably one/some of your Fairmile longboats.

Or perhaps a Vosper 234 plus a ' Griffon super detail ' set. . . .

So much choice

Cheers Kev

I'm not sure how you would get the effect for the waterline, but maybe having alook at some of the Sunderland builds going on. Some of these guys get a really good effect for the staining at the waterline and really its the same principle isn't it , just yours is bigger than a 72nd Sunderland.

• Like 1

Right thanks to my ' friend ' who shall remain nameless ! There has been an upgrade of instruments . . . .

Before

P1040990e (Copy)

After

P1050987 (Copy)

Please dont bother to comment on the fact that there is an artificial horizon on the panel - its only going to hurt when I poke you in the eye :winkgrin:

Radio room

P1050076e (Copy)

after

P1060029 (Copy)

P1060028 (Copy)

Alright Dan I admit they look better :sleep_1:

Decals are by Airscale ex Hannants

Cheers Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 1

and now for something completely different. . . . . .

Been playing with the hull :hmmm:

You might be able to see the basic weathering better n these pics plus the addition of AK grime and salt streaking. . . . .

P1060045 (Copy)

P1060047 (Copy)

P1060048 (Copy)

P1060049 (Copy)

P1060051 (Copy)

Your thoughts would be appreciated as this is all new territory for me

Cheers Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 1

Simply Stunning, my LMS had this and the Crew in the window on Saturday. I thought to myself "Hmm never do that justice!" Sir that is a work of art and a labour of love. Well done.

Thank you gentlemen (and you Dan) for your kind words they are much appreciated.

Chuckb 1 . . . I very much doubt that you couldn't do the MAS boat justice ! For my money its a great boat well put together by Italeri as a standard model. This is my first ' kit ' in thirty years and my learning curve has been near vertical !!

The reason for my insane desire to complicate the matter at every turn?

1. :banghead:

2. I intend to continue to make further Coastal Forces boats ( a life long desire finally coming to fruition) and I want to use this boat as a test / learning piece.

3. :banghead:

4. The great help and support of fellow modellers

5. :banghead:

Enough waffle :winkgrin: its fun . . . .

Cheers Kev

PS currently mucking about with oils, enamels and acrylics trying to paint something that looks like natural wood planking. . . . watch this space :wall:

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Need some honest opinions!!

The idea behind diorama is repair work to hull i.e. replacement of some planking.

The planks are scale size but I'm not sure about the colours.

P1060076 (Copy)

P1060075 (Copy)

P1060074 (Copy)

I am aware that the grey and black need touching up ;o)

Thanks for looking

Cheers Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 2

Nothing wrong with the wood Kev, the only thing I'd say is the paint work around the new planks, I would imagine that

it would be scraped up and in a bit of a mess. Time to weather it up and really go to town on it.

I think the reason for a no comment was that most, including me Kev, do not have a clue about this or the boat.

I did not even know the boat was made of wood, when I first sore your pictures.

Now looking as a patch ,I think I would still not have a clue on how to answer the question :shrug:

But what your doing is fantastic with the wood scaffold and I like the figure.

Great work.

Cheers foxy :coolio:

Thanks for the comments guys.

Foxy most if not all coastal force type boats are built with double diagonal planking i.e. the layer under what we see will be planked at 90 degrees with a light canvas layer in between. This is for strength / lightness . . .

I believe the Italian MAS boats were triple diagonal planked !!

These boats actually increased in displacement as the wood soaked up the water.

Cheers Kev

Thank you all for your encouragement - it does help to keep going when its freezing and the rain is bouncing off the shed roof which is threatening to blow off !! :o)

I think perhaps I worded my question badly ! What I was asking was how realistic my rendition of wood is was?

The learning curve I'm on is near vertical. . .

Thanks again guys

Realistic wood Kev... I think you could teach us all on the art of painting wood fella, just like your stone work.

One suggestion on the scraped paint would to be adding some random light grey highlights to certain areas around the exposed primer close to edges, Just adds a bit of depth to the finish :-)

Cheers

Dan

• Like 1