Paul Js RCAF Hornet options!

Well, this one is one of my builds for this GB. Lone Star Resins for the wings with dropped slats/flaps and a multiple choice of Leading edge decals...
img2622p.jpg
The kit and resin set to the right of the kit parts.
img2632xr.jpg

And one from this range of decals.

(IF Anyone is interested in either of the top left or top centre row and one from the bottom row, I do have spare sets. PM me for deatils)

I got started today and made some inroads for this build. After going out to get the food shopping in earlier this morning and a couple of chores in the garden out the way, I retreated to my shed and set to work. With the sun streaming in giving me loads of decent natural daylight, this is how far I got:
img2627dx.jpg
img2628cj.jpg
img2629na.jpg
img2634n.jpg
The pics above are pretty much self explanatory.
img2635dm.jpg
img2636yj.jpg
The above two pics are showing the Lone Star resins replacement wings I am using for this one. The quality is pretty good but sadly the pouring blocks are on the vital leading and trailing edges so careful removal and preparation is needed. The parts are solely designed to fit the Academy kit and fit perfectly! Infact all the surface detail is identical to the Academy plastic.

True, the price is a bit steep for what you get, but up against the kit that was bought for a song, in this case, it doesn't hurt so much. :winkgrin:

More pics tonight of some more work done.

Hmm.. I have looked at doing the wing mods my self on the next one now I know how and where the slats and flaps look when dropped. It'll take a brave move but I have spare wings that are not being used on this build. So if it goes "**** up", they'll not ruin a whole kit and tell me to leave them be!

BUT a word of warning to those who have this set or are planning to use it the parts will ONLY fit the Academy kit! Will not fit Hasegawa as the ad in Model-crafts website

I've done the wing mods on the fujimi kit and considering it for the hasegawa one. Because the actuators are molded on the hasegawa kit, I think its the most difficult to modify. The academy kit is middle of the road in terms of difficulty: you need to be careful with keeping the bottom and top halves aligned with your cut. Fujimi's two part wing makes it easier. It looks good though... I'm really looking forward to see your scheme.

Nice work Paul, the wings look great. I have the Airframe set for the Hasegawa kit but you have to remove the wingtips from the kit to complete them. I will be watching your build for tips If you do decide to mod your next set yourself.

A little progress over the last couple of evenings. Not much really some assembly, sub assemblies and paintwrok started on main airframe.

img2638an.jpg

Showing use of the LE masking for the undercarriage bays.

img2637y.jpg

Top and bottom views after grey primer and dowling poked up the rear ends as hand holds!!!

img2641uo.jpg

img2639wa.jpg

The lower of these two pics is showing little white squares where I cut them away to make way for the angled reinforcement plates. But, as you can see, I inadvertantly cut away those from the outer fin side of the port fin. I had to find some suitably thick or thin really plastic microstrip and cut tiny squares to replace them!!

img2644kz.jpg

img2642y.jpg

The underside light grey has been applied though its not too discernable here.

I think I am going to go for a standard combat CF-188 as used over Libya 2011. Mainly so I can use some of the stores provided in the kit. Leading Edge decals will be used of course!!

img2643s.jpg

This underside picture got left out for some reason. Anyway, a plain underside shot after an airbrushed coat of FS36375.

Seeing as this one is speeding along, I will start on another from my stash of Academy Hornets and go for a colourful one next......

Saints Phil: re the cockpit, only the instrument panel has raised detail with decals for the "TV screens". Decals for the side consoles but not detail of knobs and buttons etc.

Shaun: Very likely to have it done by the weekend! Topside colour tonight maybe, then decals and break offable bits!!

Had some outside of modelling distraction over the weekend but did get a lot of decalling done... lots of tiny stencilling etc....!!!
Pics:
img2658if.jpg
The chosen Leading Edge set. Combat Hornets. I have gone for the Libyan operations option. An excuse to force myself in to using the ordnance in the kit and try a bit of weathering....
img2659ty.jpg
Main colours done.
img2662zb.jpg
A bit more assembly ....
img2663b.jpg
.... and decal application.
img2664c.jpg
Tonights work, adding the decals to the bombs and 'winders! Just a bit more to do with these before installing. Should be ready by end of week depending on things...

• Like 1

Cheers. Maybe its because I'm not doing one of the special scheme ones.......yet! Modelling modern day war situations is not my favourite subject in any way but, I thought I'd give it a try for this one.