Republic RC.3 Seabee

Excellent job there Smudge, it looks grand!

Not sure about the pilot chappie though, he's risking a serious dunking taxying with the door ope like that - one small wave and he's swamped!

I was a bit unsure about that Dave, but I have a lot of pictures of Seabees taxying with the front door open so I thought, why not?

Seabee-14_zps2836f301.jpg

However,given the "fun" I've had with it, I don't think I would go down the route again....................Smudge

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, it does this old fart good.............Smudge

As one old fart to another, congratulations on the model. It looks like it might have been a bit of a swine at times but you persevered, which is the main thing. Thinks for sharing your build. Good luck in the points tally.

Colin

That is class Smudge! Wanted one since seeing The Man With The Golden Gun. Can't understand why Glencoe doesn't add an interior sprue to the kit. And a James Bond figure too!

Paul Harrison

That would be an extremely good idea, I'm surprised that there has not been an after market resin set for it. I suppose it is just too small a run....I know Glencoe is virtually a one man operation, so I guess he just gets the old moulds and bangs them out without modernisation, or at least he used to.....I must admit I was sorely tempted to do that one from the film, and I can't for the life of me remember why I didn't.Good excuse to build another...............Smudge

Smudge, great job on the Seabee. For your edification, Glencoe issued the kit in both opaque and clear plastic, if memory serves - though perhaps I am confusing it with a Pegaso "pop"? In any case, warping of the clear plastic would be a challenge to tame, but you seem to have done it nicely. I suspect the tooling is all in one so it wasn't really possible to "shoot" it in two different plastics... in any case, Glencoe was brillant to make it with clear plastic since cutting out and replacing all those windows would be a royal PITA. Not an original concept, as Hobbycraft made their Cub in the same way.

I've seen pictures of folks fishing from the open front door (probably something in a Republic brochure...), but a slow taxi would be well within reason given all that "glass" - it would probably get hot inside rather quickly,

With it's minimalist structure and compact configuration, the Seabee is a fascinating design. Too bad the market was so 'flush' with war surplus a/c at the time, it might have saved Republic as an aircraft manufacturer.

Again, congrats on a successful finish!

Regards, Robert

Just caught up with this, and have to say that is class looking build. Brilliant stuff,

Sean

Thanks Sean that's very nice of you and thanks Robert for the info on the kit. It's nice to know a bit more about what I'm building. The only time I've ever seen one for real was in Piraeus, Greece about 35 years ago, it looked very small from the flight deck of the Hermes, but I managed to get down and have a close look and was hooked. The thing that has stayed with me is how well made it looked, and the interior was so plush.....I know what I would buy if I was to win the Lottery....................Smudge

Would I be right in thinking this is the same type as in the Heineken Champions League advert?

Sean