Airfix 1/48 Seafire XVII tweaked a bit

Supermarine Seafire Mk XVII, 1831 NAS, RNVR

Here is the very popular Airfix Seafire with a few tweaks to try and improve it but without resorting to aftermarket items. The kit was built OOB with the exception of the following:

• Fuselage panel lines: Brushed with Mr Surfacer 1000 and then rubbed down.
  • Upper cowling intake: Replaced with a slice of tube.
  • Tail wheel guard: Replacement made from brass wire.
  • Exhausts: Drilled out.
  • Propeller: Chord increased by adding plastic strip to leading edges.
  • Outer ejection ports: Lined with plastic strip to match the size of the inner ones.
  • Flaps and ailerons: Sanded down to reduce thickness of trailing edge.
  • Radiators: Leading edge of housings sanded to reduce thickness and new flaps made from plasticard.

I did resort to the following accessories to finish it off:

• Seat harness: Eduard
  • Decals: Excellent Freightdog Post War Seafires set.

It was painted with Mr Colour and Tamiya paints. All pane lines were pre shaded and a more random post shade was carried out to try and create a worn but well looked after look. A coat of Vallejo satin varnish was used to finish it off with the exception of the spinner which is gloss. I didnt use a panel wash except for around the engine cowling. Look forward to your comments and criticisms.

Thanks

Howard.

DSC00885_zpsbef5549d.jpg

DSC00886_zpse29183df.jpg

DSC00887_zps86568025.jpg

DSC00888_zps30544100.jpg

DSC00889_zps65971492.jpg

DSC00890_zps8c37699a.jpg

DSC00892_zps5a5f6b4d.jpg

DSC00894_zps89907fea.jpg

DSC00895_zpsbadf3e36.jpg

DSC00896_zps7e855181.jpg

DSC00898_zpsa223e503.jpg

• Like 5

Very,very nice Howard.

Excellent finish and nice suble weathering.

I did most of the same mods on mine except for the prop,upper cowling intake

and I made a masking tape harness.

Another wrinkle I found was to use the "closed" hood in the open position.

It fits much better than the "open" one.

These simple tweaks really do bring the Airfix kit to life and make a much better

model out of it.

Well done.

Looks grand - I hadn't appreciated that there are issues with the wing chord on this kit - would you care to elaborate on your method for correction - it sounds very simple, but I for one wouldn't know how to go about it.

Thanks.

Neil

Edited by Neil Whiteley-Bolton

I like that a lot and I`m currently building an Airfix Seafire 17 in exactly the same scheme as it is a personal favourite,

All the best

Tony O

Another wrinkle I found was to use the "closed" hood in the open position.

It fits much better than the "open" one.

Thanks for the kind comments Mark, knowing how particular you are about Spitfires and Seafires makes it all the more rewarding. Never thought about using the 'closed' canopy but can now appreciate how it would work better.

Looks grand - I hadn't appreciated that there are issues with the wing chord on this kit - would you care to elaborate on your method for correction - it sounds very simple, but I for one wouldn't know how to go about it.

Thanks.

Neil

Neil,

It was the propeller blades that I modified. They are a bit on the skinny side so added a strip of plastic to the leading edge which I blended in with CA glue and a little putty and then sanded the profile so it all blended in. Was nervous to try it but only took about 10 minutes per blade. It is still probably not that accurate but has improved the look somewhat IMO.

To every one else who has commented, thank you for the kind words.

Best regards

Howard

Hey 'H', nice to see one of these thats actually seen a bit of use, and you've even had a nod of approval from one of the "Spiteratti", things are looking up :winkgrin:. I reckon this scheme is sooo much better than that oh so boring sky/grey scheme you normally see these things dressed up in. As per normal with your builds, a top job.

Kurt!

Edited by tank152
  • Like 1

Hey 'H', nice to see one of these thats actually seen a bit of use, and you've even had a nod of approval from one of the "Spiteratti", things are looking up :winkgrin:. I reckon this scheme is sooo much better than that oh so boring sky/grey scheme you normally see these things dressed up in. As per normal with your builds, a top job.

Kurt!

Thanks Kurt! Glad you like it. I've got a Seafire F47 in the pipeline that will be EDSG/Sky but won't be pristine when it's finished :wicked: Got anything on the bench at the moment?

H

Thanks Kurt! Glad you like it. I've got a Seafire F47 in the pipeline that will be EDSG/Sky but won't be pristine when it's finished :wicked: Got anything on the bench at the moment?

H

Hi H, yeah I've just finished a V1 I'll post some pics up of it later.

Kurt!

Ps, whats with all these Seafires?