RN Corsair options

NAVY870

Quite right - well spotted Nick.

Here's another photo of the same incident, I believe - from a collection of original 1945 Victorious photos I now own. Notice the deck-handler with white cap, white shorts and shoes and no top. He is roughly in the same place in both photos and the angle of the wreckage looks the same.

img075_zpsyk3hytcf.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, iang said:

JT634 had the side scoops, but not the larger lower fuselage scoop, as far as I can see:

img560_zpsinagophi.jpg

Strictly speaking the thing on the underside is not a scoop but an outlet.  Total WAG on my part but maybe it took a while to dawn that all the air collected by the side scoops might need some exit.

10 hours ago, iang said:

Quite right - well spotted Nick.

Here's another photo of the same incident, I believe - from a collection of original 1945 Victorious photos I now own. Notice the deck-handler with white cap, white shorts and shoes and no top. He is roughly in the same place in both photos and the angle of the wreckage looks the same.

img075_zpsyk3hytcf.jpg

You can clearly see why the Corsair was referred to as  the Bent-Winged Bird! (Tongue firmly planted in  cheek!)

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2017 at 10:27 AM, Seahawk said:

Strictly speaking the thing on the underside is not a scoop but an outlet.  Total WAG on my part but maybe it took a while to dawn that all the air collected by the side scoops might need some exit.

I have been studying and learning about Corsairs for many years now and I don't know what is being talked about in this thread. What is meant by "CO extraction system" ?

If I am not mistaken the wing intakes are for the super charger inlet,inter coolers and oil cooler with the flap on the underside of the wing for the oil cooler outlet. The central large outlet was meant to control the inter cooler air and keep the engine accessory bay ventilated. I could be wrong, I often am. If anyone knows better please chime in.:please:

1 hour ago, Nachtwulf said:

I have been studying and learning about Corsairs for many years now and I don't know what is being talked about in this thread. What is meant by "CO extraction system" ?

If I am not mistaken the wing intakes are for the super charger inlet,inter coolers and oil cooler with the flap on the underside of the wing for the oil cooler outlet. The central large outlet was meant to control the inter cooler air and keep the engine accessory bay ventilated. I could be wrong, I often am. If anyone knows better please chime in.:please:

Hi Nachtwulf,

The carbon monoxide extraction system was an aft fuselage thing.  Exhaust gasses ran along the lower fuselage and got sucked in through the aft fuselage access hatch and the tail wheel doors.  As pressure built up, the gasses were forced forward, past the bulkhead aft of the radios.  The US Navy initially preferred to seal the bulkhead, but the Brits wisely chose to draw fresh air in through two lateral scoops (near or in the roundels), venting it out through a ventral exhaust.  There was an American version of this system (added on the production line and in kits) and a British version -- the two systems had different shapes and are distinguishable if you find the right photos.

The Americans eventually realized the superiority of the British idea and added flush vents to either side of the fuselage, exhausting the carbon monoxide through the tail wheel doors.

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dana Bell said:

Hi Nachtwulf,

The carbon monoxide extraction system was an aft fuselage thing.  Exhaust gasses ran along the lower fuselage and got sucked in through the aft fuselage access hatch and the tail wheel doors.  As pressure built up, the gasses were forced forward, past the bulkhead aft of the radios.  The US Navy initially preferred to seal the bulkhead, but the Brits wisely chose to draw fresh air in through two lateral scoops (near or in the roundels), venting it out through a ventral exhaust.  There was an American version of this system (added on the production line and in kits) and a British version -- the two systems had different shapes and are distinguishable if you find the right photos.

The Americans eventually realized the superiority of the British idea and added flush vents to either side of the fuselage, exhausting the carbon monoxide through the tail wheel doors.

Cheers,

Dana

Thanks Dana,

I suspected that it was about carbon monoxide but wasn't sure. I never had heard about this before! I love it when I learn something which has slipped my attention for so many years! Thanks for the lesson!:worthy: