VERY CHEAP Acrylic Paint Remover FROM TESCOS

bexwh773

Unfortunately it didn't really do much to Mr Color lacquers although the bits that did come off were along all the panel lines making me think that it did somehow get through to the Mr Hobby that I used to preshade the model. I'm hoping it hasn't striped the paint from inside the cockpit!

Duncan B

Edit: Xtracrylics Purisol did the trick after a bit of scrubbing all the paint has gone but at £3 for a little bottle that was only enough for a 1/72 scale Phantom it is a bit on the steep side. Unfortunately the cockpit has been stripped too and the inside of the canopy was a mess so it's had to come off.

• 1 month later...

So the Tesco cleaner will remove Halfords acrylic paint as well as primer?

Slightly confused at the wording - I don't know if they are two separate thoughts - the fairy power spray gets rid 'as well as' Tesco cleaner, or does the latter not do a very good job?

So the Tesco cleaner will remove Halfords acrylic paint as well as primer?

Slightly confused at the wording - I don't know if they are two separate thoughts - the fairy power spray gets rid 'as well as' Tesco cleaner, or does the latter not do a very good job?

In my experience MrMuscle oven cleaner will get off enamel and Acrylic , Tescos gets off Acrylic not sure about enamel.

I hear on good authority Fairy Power Spray is the best and gets off Enamel, Acrylic and Halfords Primer even but I cannot find it on sale anywhere..

Cheers Rob :)

I'd personally say that if people have been finding it hard to get hold of the power spray and are now able to, that perhaps there has been a formula change as you suggested?

Not sure why else the product would be so hard to find for a period of time!

I have been using the cheap Tesco all purpose cleaner all summer on a collection of models that a friend left behind when he emigrated to Australia. Some where 20 years old and painted in enamel. I submerged them in a washing up bowl for 5 days and they came out clean.

I use screen wash in my ultra sonic cleaner - it is cheap to buy in 5lts containers in the summer.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try this. I do some miniature painting and have a few old models to strip and repaint.

I have tried Dettol, which is cheap and works but the smell seems to stick in the plastic and linger for ages.

I have also tried Fairy Power Spray which is also very good but quite expensive and can be quite tricky to find.

Will pick up some of this Tescos stuff on the next shopping trip.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 3 months later...

Can confirm that Revell Paint remover doesn't work with humbrol paints at all. Tried to remove 1 week old paint (I got a change of mind about colour) and it can't remove the paint at all. Will try Tesco all purpose cleaner tomorrow for a luck, to see if it can work on detailed paint work removal or not.

Thanks for any tip on how to remove minute paint work (enamel) on model.

This was my Harrier after one application of Revell paint remover, after removing three coats of two week old Humbrol 102 enamel paint from the top of the main wings and one tailplane and some fuselage areas.

Harrier%20GR5%2013s_zpsicktcjav.jpg

It does work on Humbrol paint in my experience.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd bring this thread up to date. The Spit had been painted (badly) in Revell Aqua with two coats of acrylic varnish. I let it soak for four days and everything just dissolved. It also appears to have started dissolving the Halfords primer. I've put an equally poorly painted 109 in the same gloop to see if it can be reused. 

36791040862_530f8d2e0f_o.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2017 at 2:18 PM, RidgeRunner said:

So, a different question, what does any of this do to the cement? Do these builds fall apart or because the cement "welds" the plastic does it not touch it?

Martin

Doesn't seem to affect the cement, but over time it does eat through plastic food bags.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, I'm pleased I found this thread. I hope the Tesco cleaner is still available? I recently returned to the hobby and used to use oven cleaner but the last 4 models I've tried stripping with it were untouched, never had that problem before!