1/350 HMS King George V

AndyP

well I decided that 2 ships on the go wasn't enough :stupid: so I figured I'd have a crack at the Group Build with HMS KGV

6025430911_cd88ba8913_z.jpg

Unlike my other ships however, im not going to be doing any major conversions or back-dating its gonna be a OTB build with the WEM Photo-Etch, showing the ship in her 1944 Dazzle

:hobbyhorse:

Edited by AndyP
  • Like 1

Cool! Will be watching this one. I built mine in home waters scheme so it will be interesrting to see how she looked in dazzle. Also the WEM etch is really nice.

Well another futile attempt to do the rigging on HOOD almost resulted in the model flying out of the window so made a proper start on KGV

this is the picture kinad showing what im going foo, probably without the gunsmoke but i want to show the ship in a heavy sea

6039847370_ff2d173f6d_z.jpg

So today was mostly drilling out portholes, building up subassembilies and fitting the sea-master barrels which are indeed a huge improvement over the kit parts

6039298873_8a6e0e4baa_z.jpg

was a bit of a ball ache getting the guns all lined up nicely but im happy having the split elevation on the turrets

6039850086_e256704c1c_z.jpg

im of 2 minds if i should paint the deck a dark grey/blue-ish colour, or leave it natural wooden colout (in which case ill likely buy a KA Wood-deck,) anywa tomorrow i think ill water-line the Hull and add make a start on some of the WEM Photo-Etch

till next time! :hobbyhorse:

Few more pictures, ive built up pretty much all the sub assemblies and added the PE doors and Ladders, ive replaced with pompom's with the ones from the Trumpeter Hood and Repulse kits since they are much more detailed, ive also "water-lined" the ship, this is pretty much the orientation im going for, i want the bow cresting out of the water with a largish wave washing over the breakwater, what do you guys think of the orientation?

6053827795_52f2bf4247_z.jpg

6053825601_873a0e333e_z.jpg

6053823629_e5e1e3a2ec_z.jpg

6054371636_1706165dc0_z.jpg

6054369664_ff7fc51da5_z.jpg

6054368024_267e90113a_z.jpg

I have a bit of a dilema now, im all set to start painting the hull in the 1944 camouflage, but from my research i dont think she actually served in the Pacific in that scheme, she was in for a major refit between feb and june 44 where they removed the catapult and walrus and added the extra pom-pom's but i dont have any information about when she received the light grey with the dark grey band, any opinions folks? should i carry on and go for the camo scheme, or er on the side of accuracy and got for the 2 tone grey?

ive also ordered up the KA Wood Deck since i cant paint wood to save my life and near as i can tell they had unpainted decks

till next time folks :)

Edited by AndyP

Few more pictures, ive built up pretty much all the sub assemblies and added the PE doors and Ladders, ive replaced with pompom's with the ones from the Trumpeter Hood and Repulse kits since they are much more detailed, ive also "water-lined" the ship, this is pretty much the orientation im going for, i want the bow cresting out of the water with a largish wave washing over the breakwater, what do you guys think of the orientation?

I have a bit of a dilema now, im all set to start painting the hull in the 1944 camouflage, but from my research i dont think she actually served in the Pacific in that scheme, she was in for a major refit between feb and june 44 where they removed the catapult and walrus and added the extra pom-pom's but i dont have any information about when she received the light grey with the dark grey band, any opinions folks?

ive also ordered up the KA Wood Deck since i cant paint wood to save my life and near as i can tell they had unpainted decks

That will be g45 hull and upperworks with the panel in g45 get the paints from wem.

I have a bit of a dilema now, im all set to start painting the hull in the 1944 camouflage, but from my research i dont think she actually served in the Pacific in that scheme, she was in for a major refit between feb and june 44 where they removed the catapult and walrus and added the extra pom-pom's but i dont have any information about when she received the light grey with the dark grey band, any opinions folks?

That will be g45 hull and upperworks with the panel in g45 get the paints from wem.

This is looking good. Waterlining at an angle will make it so much more dynamic. Most waterline ships seem to me to be as static as the Pyramids.

You ask "should i carry on and go for the camo scheme, or er on the side of accuracy and got for the 2 tone grey?" Err or the side of accuracy? I wonder if that means that the two tone scheme would be an error for you?

Maybe this will help, its KGV at Guam in 1945:

http://ww2db.com/images/ship_kinggeorgev2.jpg

Here is KGV with the US navy off japan in august of 45

http://www.naval-history.net/Photo01bbKGV1945US.jpg

In the pacific she had teak colored decks, not gray painted.

I'm pretty sure her camo was lt gray with a band of dk dray during this duty.

http://www.histarmar.com.ar/ArchivoFotosGr...ips/Acor6lg.jpg

Did a little reseach, HMS KGV was painted from July 1944 to the end of 1945 in this fashion:

Admiralty standard type B with a b20 panel placed approximately over the ships vitals and the rest of the ship painted G45.

The Tamiya box top in your first photo is the correct cammo with teak decks for KGV in this time period.

Source: 'Warship #11' a quarterly journal of warship history, july 1979

Conway maritime press.

isbn: 0851771734

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/isbn/9780851771731

Mine is an original and has a photo cover of USS New orleans, the KGV things were a multi-part history, this is part three and covers the paint camo for KGV and PoWand DoY, the next (#12) covered , Anson and howe.

Edited by Chris FFZ

This is looking good. Waterlining at an angle will make it so much more dynamic. Most waterline ships seem to me to be as static as the Pyramids.

You ask "should i carry on and go for the camo scheme, or er on the side of accuracy and got for the 2 tone grey?" Err or the side of accuracy? I wonder if that means that the two tone scheme would be an error for you?

Thanks Don, yeh i really fancied painting the ship in the Dazzle Camo, it makes a nice change from just a boring old Grey or Grey heh

Did a little reseach, HMS KGV was painted from July 1944 to the end of 1945 in this fashion:

Admiralty standard type B with a b20 panel placed approximately over the ships vitals and the rest of the ship painted G45.

The Tamiya box top in your first photo is the correct cammo with teak decks for KGV in this time period.

Hmmmm, well i know she was out of Refit in June 44 and arrived in Sydney in July, so in that case im going to argue that she reported to duty in Sydney in the Type B Camo and was re-painted there! :P

Edited by AndyP

Thanks Do, yeh i really fancied painting the ship in the Dazzle Camo, it makes a nice change from just a boring old Grey or Grey heh

I have a similar decision to make. I'd like to extend the flaps on my P-38 but it's really unlikely that any pilot would taxi over muddy ground with them out. Accuracy or appearance? Which is more important to me in this particular project?

Then it is decided! she shall be painted in the Camo!

thanks guys :)

ive also "water-lined" the ship, this is pretty much the orientation im going for, i want the bow cresting out of the water with a largish wave washing over the breakwater, what do you guys think of the orientation?

Hi there Andy, as no-one else has commented much on the orientation, and you've asked what people think, here's my views as a modeller that's spent best part of 30 years at sea.

Firstly, its good to see someone attempting to do something other than relatively calm waters, so well done for having a go!

Secondly, be careful how you do it, as the sea can either make or break this as a project - a so-so model in a realistic sea setting can look much better than a fantastic model in a completely unrealistic sea.

From your quote above, you've got two conflicting scenes, you can have the bow cresting out of the water, or you can have a largish wave washing over the breakwater, but not both! For the largish wave to be washing over the breakwater, the bow will be buried (has to be for the wave to be over the foc'sle); if the bow is cresting out of the water it's well above the waves - the foc'sle will be wet and may have a bit of water running overboard at the outboard ends of the breakwater, but it won't be awash.

Showing a bit of roll, especially if you're modelling a sea that's a bit on the beam or quartering, would be good, but keep it to a few degrees, this is a battleship, not a corvette!

From the photo's you've posted , you've cut the bottom off well below the load waterline - what isn't clear is how you intend to model the sea. If you're intending to build the sea up around the hull with plaster/clay etc then this is fine; otherwise, there's too much boat out of the water. The KGV class had a deep displacement of 42,000 tons, and unless it was aground, there would always be 42,000 tons underwater, so whatever volume of "below waterline" hull is out of the water forward, this has to be replaced midships/aft with an equal volume of "above waterline" hull being submerged. Note this also applies to the angle of roll, whatever volume exposed on one side has to be submerged on the other side.

For the scene you've described with the bow out of the water, remember that this is a big ship, and this would take a big (long) wave to get the ship into this position - you'd only be modelling part (the crest) of this wave over the whole base. Granted the wave surface would be broken up into smaller wavelets and show some effects of the ship's wake, but don't be tempted with more than one big wave.

As always, the best way to represent something realistically is to check your references - look at photo's of ships of the class to see how they behaved in heavy seas, pick one that looks like the scene you've got in mind and model that.

Best of luck with the project, hope you find that useful, and look forward to seeing it finished.

Dave

• Like 1

Hey Dave, thats for the reply

i dont think i explained very well what i was going for, here is a picture of a model of HMS HOOD done by Kostas Katseas

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewt...=59&t=38858

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewt...=59&t=44497

Id like to try and get somthing along those lines :)