USS Hornet. The Doolittle Raid.

As Don has stated,......"Good choice. A significant moment in the war..." The USS Hornet is deserving to be included in this GB...!!

Doolittle Cheers,

ggc

• 4 weeks later...

I hope you are still working on this one. I'd really like to see it as a part of our collective creation.

I have discovered that the Hornet raid led directly to the Japanese invasion of Kiska and Attu in the

Aleutians. They thought that the Doolittle had come from there and feared more and heavier bombing

from the same source oe even a possible northern invasion. Ironically, once the Allies had ejected

the invading forces they did build 10,000ft runways up there for B-29s to launch raids on Japan,

and did at least plan to invade the Kuriles. In the event they were never used, due to the foul

weather and the lack of Soviet support, but the Japanese based a significant amount of men and

machinery up there to counter the threat -men and planes that McArthur's forces in the south didn't

have to fight! It has even been argued that Doolittle 'won the war' in this way, though I think that's

putting it a bit strong.

Definately got to have this one, being one of the

most iconic points of the Pacific war (that I count as Iconic)

that marked the turn of the tide.

Followed by Coral Sea, Midway, Solomons etc

Look forward to your build :D

Regards

Alan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Haven't posted for a while but progress has continued.

I am leaving a couple of the shutters open and having some wildcats in the hanger. Although not convinced you will see much when complete.

PacificWarGB_09.jpg

The model came together quite quickly and I had a finished model on my hands, so apologies for the lack of work in process photos.

PacificWarGB_16.jpg

PacificWarGB_17.jpg

Even in 1/700 the B25 is a tail sitter!

And finally photographed with the 1/72 Mitchell I completed for the Bomber Group Build.

PacificWarGB_25.jpg