Its just sooooo much nasty green plastic...........

Thanks guys,

Yes Stiggy, I'll be making six I think there are, for the areabehind the pit plus various smaller ones for the visable parts. I've made some really gay looking blue and red braided hose for them too, might paint it, it'll look like the inside of a tube of Smarties© if I'm not carefull !!

More soon, including some more extream weathering !!

BTW its 1:48 Rob, trying to detail at 1:72 would see me sectioned !!

Si.

Edited by Dr.Jellyfingers

BTW its 1:48 Rob, trying to detail at 1:72 would see me sectioned !!

thought it looked big for 1:72... you aint as mad as me then... just need to get the corsair and harrier out the way then I think I will bite the bullet and hit the Helldiver..... (mainly cos at the moment I am building, painting, churning... the H/D will give me something to get my teeth in too......)

bliemy buddy this is really something special, just a small questtion, where do you get all your copper/brass sheeting, need to pick some of that up.

Hi Moof's, the copper tape I'm using is the stuff that is put under carpets to form an induction loop pick-up for hearing aids. It comes from a company called Ampertronic, I get the off-cuts from jobs when I'm contracted to them. I think there's a few places on evil bay sell it but its pricey for a full roll.

This might help re: colouring the damage

That is a very usefull bit of footage Phil, thanks for posting that mate.

Eve all,

i've been doing all the little mundane fiddly bits that need to be done, actuall progress has been a little slow but I have managed to finish the internal ribbing and will be fitting some of the sub assemblies so I can plan a little damage here and there.

Couple of pics before I start making holes again:-

100_2244.jpg

Arty one:-

100_2259.jpg

I keep test fitting after all the metal bits go in and have noticed there is a significant weight gain, the old bird might need some better legs at this rate, not sure if the kit ones are up to it !!!

Si.

Any updates? Loving this build so far Si.

Hi Simon,

I'm fiddling with oxy tanks, ammo' boxes and feed chutes at the mo, the feed chutes in particular are proving a little troublesome !!

I'll be sorting an update and some pics a little later I think !

Cheers, si.

Eve all,

A little progress update:- So far I've been proper stumped with how and what to make the ammo' chutes from. I've tried thinning plastic sheet and filing grooves in it, copper, lead, card, wood, cheese and ear-wax and sod all has come up to the mark !! Then I found some old double screened SCSI cable and I think its done the job, what do you chaps reckon?

Also copper edged ammo' boxes made from real wood !

100_2260.jpg

The little lead 'stick-men' are the bracets for the waist guns.

Also been having fun making oxy' bottles and sexey blue hose !!:-

100_2262.jpg

Its getting there, a bit slower than I thought but its all good fun!

Si.

Man! That looks superb!!!

And SCSI cable for ammo belts? Brilliant. Time to dig out all my old cables.

Just a thought mate, try guitar strings for the Oxy bottle hose. It is copper, comes in lots of different widths, is very neatly coiled and looks the mutt's thingies in this scale.

Man! That looks superb!!!

And SCSI cable for ammo belts? Brilliant. Time to dig out all my old cables.

Just a thought mate, try guitar strings for the Oxy bottle hose. It is copper, comes in lots of different widths, is very neatly coiled and looks the mutt's thingies in this scale.

I've heard of people using guitar strings I'll have to nip into our local music shop and have a nosey, ta for that Murdo.

Thanks for the comments chaps, getting over the ammo feeds has been a major boost !!

Here's the boxes so far with the belts painted to see if I'll be able to flex them up a bit without it going all flakey - like the 1:24 Mossie belts !!

100_2264.jpg

100_2265.jpg

As you can see they flex around well with no obvious flaking/cracking. It's 27003 Metal BTW, no surprise there then !!

The wood is treated with English walnut oil and I think I may just leave them like this apart from some subtle weathering.

More soon,

Si.

Eve all,

A few pics of some detailing and some dry-fitting of the pit, fortunately it still all fits in there !!

100_2270.jpg

100_2278.jpg

100_2277.jpg

100_2274.jpg

I'm happy that there's plenty to see in there now, would have loved some PE for this beast, it would have saved a dump-truck of time !!

Still having fun, Si.

hmmmmm am jealous of the 1/48... am dreading starting this sort of stuff in 1.72.... but hey, if i dont try i wont learn....

love the use of the SCSI cable, about the best use for any PC hardware ;-)

Hey Dr. Jellyfingers

Stunning scratch build there.... I'm in the process of planning a derrelict pair of aircraft for a diorama so this technique would be perfect....

I can find the copper you mention but its in several thicknesses - is the stuff you use 0.5mm 1mm or 1.5mm and does it have sticky on one side?

If its sticky what do you do to get rid of the sticky?

Also how wide are the strips you use?

Cheers

TFB

Edited by Flying Badger

Those ammo boxes.

Did you use dovetail joints or just a plain butt joint.

BB

I'm a butt man myself BB, ladies butt's I hasten to add!!

D'ya know I was actually sad enough to consider making the boxes from some very nice oak veneer so they would have been hollow !

hmmmmm am jealous of the 1/48... am dreading starting this sort of stuff in 1.72.... but hey, if i dont try i wont learn....

love the use of the SCSI cable, about the best use for any PC hardware ;-)

I would consider a 1:72 version Rob but i very much doubt I'd be doing much detailing without some aftermarket. With 1:48 I can get away without magnifiers, my eyes are still farily good close up, I can't do much in 1:72 without eye pieces.

Looking at my electronic bits there's actually quite a bit that could be used for modelling !!

WoW looking great and great use of "non-modelling" materials!!

Cheers

Brenden

Thanks again Brenden, almost everything I use at work gets the eye for possible modelling purposes now, suppose its like that for quite a few of us !

Hey Dr. Jellyfingers

Stunning scratch build there.... I'm in the process of planning a derrelict pair of aircraft for a diorama so this technique would be perfect....

I can find the copper you mention but its in several thicknesses - is the stuff you use 0.5mm 1mm or 1.5mm and does it have sticky on one side?

If its sticky what do you do to get rid of the sticky?

Also how wide are the strips you use?

Cheers

TFB

Hi Badger, the tape I use is really thin, 0.1mm/ .004" and is 18mm wide. It's covered in a 25 micron thick plastic insulation that is wrapped round it, not stuck to it at all.

I'd guess the .5mm thick stuff you've found would work but may be harder to actually work with due to its stiffness. Being 0.1mm thick enables me to bend and shape it like a real panel, it will even emboss with good definition. It is basically blank PE, with the right tools it would probably look just like it or better !

Thanks again chaps, getting close to some more extream weathering, more soon!

Si.