F-6B Mustang

My entry in the group build is this:

P1000071.jpg

I picked this because it's a nice kit, and the scheme has some interesting paint features. The Mustang has D-Day stripes, but the upper surfaces were overpainted after D-Day, but they stripes were still visible through the overpainting. The whole machine was seriously weathered and beaten up all of which means this could get interesting.

Peter

Started work on the Mustang - first up the now traditional sprue shots:

P1000072.jpg

P1000073.jpg

P1000074.jpg

P1000075.jpg

P1000076.jpg

The blue on the decals does look a bit bright, if it wasn't OOB i'd probably mask and spray them but ho hum..

Started work with the instrument panel - painted the edges black, then filled the dials with some liquid mask. The reason for this is that there's a decal to go on the back.

P1000077.jpg

Then sprayed some more flat black, once dry used a toothpick to rub away the liquid mask, leaving nice clear dials

P1000078.jpg

Then put the decal on, and dry brushed the instruments and picked out a couple of switches with red. Put a drop of Klear in each dial to give a nice shiny surface.

I also painted the rudder pedals aluminium, and added some dust pigment.

P1000079.jpg

Then sprayed the Interior Green (Gunze H58).

P1000080.jpg

Then picked out the details on the cockpit floor and the sidewalls, and added an oil wash and some dirt to the floor.

P1000082.jpg

P1000083.jpg

Finally fitted the radio tray and the camera

P1000084.jpg

That will be it until Friday.

Peter

gorgeous cockpit... I am enjoying the Tamiya 1.72 I have in the corsair... beats the usual "seat, floor & IP" so hope to get to grips with detail painting & weathering.... can I bug you for a little explaination on your oil wash technique???

Not a lot to it - get some Burnt Umber oil paint, and mix with Turpentine until it's very thin (i.e. looks like brown water), then with a thin brush (normally I use either a 3/0 or a 5/0), put drops of the mix where surfaces join - it should run along the edges.

The secret (such as it is), is to build up gradually, don't flood it but let it start drying before adding any more then you can control the buildup. As you get more practice just play about, with more colours (greys / browns / black / yellow).

Just remember if you put it on a matt surface it will act as a filter, and change the colour, whereas on a glossy surface it will flow into the cracks. And if it goes wrong, cotton buds are you friends - dry ones will soak up a lot, if you wet them you can 'smear' the oil around nicely.

Not a lot to it - get some Burnt Umber oil paint, and mix with Turpentine until it's very thin (i.e. looks like brown water), then with a thin brush (normally I use either a 3/0 or a 5/0), put drops of the mix where surfaces join - it should run along the edges.

The secret (such as it is), is to build up gradually, don't flood it but let it start drying before adding any more then you can control the buildup. As you get more practice just play about, with more colours (greys / browns / black / yellow).

Just remember if you put it on a matt surface it will act as a filter, and change the colour, whereas on a glossy surface it will flow into the cracks. And if it goes wrong, cotton buds are you friends - dry ones will soak up a lot, if you wet them you can 'smear' the oil around nicely.

thanks Peter... think that is (a) how i have read and (B) how I had thought of doing..... anyway, enough of hijacking your thread ;-)

That's going along nicely. Some of you are half way through already and I just managed to cut 5 pieces off the spruees, makes me look slow :).

I love the "molded with pride" sticker on clear parts bag :)

Greg

Today's work in the Mustang

First up I finished off the port sidewall

P1000085.jpg

Put the fuselage together and fitted the seat

P1000086.jpg

P1000088.jpg

Fitted the wings and nose section, and then added some Mr Surfacer to the joints

P1000089.jpg

P1000090.jpg

Then fitted the carburettor intake - which reveals a problem - the intake is wider than the fairings.

P1000091.jpg

So first I added to plastic strip to each side of the intake

P1000092.jpg

Then covered with some filler smoothed out with some cellulose thinners (forgive the pinky colour, but I use 'dirty' cellulose thinners for this which had cleaned up red paint).

P1000093.jpg

Finally sanded it smooth, and I end up with something more like it.

P1000094.jpg

P1000095.jpg

Peter

Peter, that intake is looking good, I'm somewhat suprised that the fit is so bad, for the mostpart AM kits fit pretty well....I have a few of thesr Allison P-51's in the stash so thanks for the "heads-up"..

Cheers,

ggc

Today's work on the Mustang, first I managed to lose the gunsight so I had to make a new one out of plasticard

P1000096.jpg

P1000097.jpg

Then masking up the canopy with Parafilm and Tape

P1000098.jpg

P1000099.jpg

Sprayed the canopy interior green before spraying the primer.

P1000100.jpg

Then sprayed Alclad Grey primer over everything

P1000101.jpg

Which revealed a couple of area's that needed some more work.

P1000102.jpg

P1000103.jpg

Sanded it back

P1000104.jpg

P1000105.jpg

Then sprayed more primer - i'll need to do a little rescribing tomorrow, but nothing major

P1000106.jpg

P1000107.jpg

Peter

Today's work on the Mustang - first up rubbing down the primer with micromesh

P1000108.jpg

Rubbed down with Tac-cloth to remove the dust

P1000109.jpg

Sprayed the entire thing with Mithril Silver

P1000110.jpg

Then using a sponge added some liquid mask for the weathering

P1000111.jpg

Then started making variations on the panels - first the control surfaces