Herritage 1/72 TSR2

Ellow Amos.

Thanks for the comments on mine.

The "second in time" look is what I was aiming for.

I've tried to capture her ready to do engine runs on the"Pear Drop" pan as per the shots of '219

in that TSR.2 documentory.

The fuel tanker and GPU are built,they need painting and setting up on the base with a few more figures.

The one figure you see is from the Airfix NATO Ground Crew set and is supposed to be Jimmy Dell!!.

Your is coming along nicely,good to see another one being done.

ATB,Mark

Edited by Miggers

Hi-ya Vtecjack, the filler of choice for me for the past 20yrs has been Humbrol, its served me well. Though, am having a dabble with revell stuff. I`ve bought these as they`re readily availiable through model shops and dont require a visit to a model show and more importantly sand down well..................

Which brings me to a mini update - work has got in the way the past couple of days, but, this is what i`ve managed to achieve: more Humbrol filler added this morning and should be the last of any gaps/resin blemishes and the etched ladders folded to shape. `Her indoors` is away visiting friends for a few days, in which time she expects progress with the house :chair: meanwhile whilst the kitty cat is away i`ll be looking to `crack on` with the canopies and some painting of parts. And another thing, i`ve got Inglorious Basterds and The Bridge to watch on Blue Ray and a crate of Guinness with my name on it. Hopefully more progress photo`s soon. Laters, ;)

Hi Amos !!

good to see there is a fellow guinness drinker on here :drink:

I have taken mine to work,as we are quiet at the moment,it has stirred quite a bit of interest :D a lot of my colleagues are "going what on earth is that?" then I explain to them the history of this aircraft,and they are shocked and saddened,I have a picture of duxfords TSR 2 as my wallpaper it looks the muts nuts B)

fortunately where I work I have access to araldite and other adheasives,all used for work purposes only though :whistle:

Hi guys this is what i`ve achieved this week so far some mixed results.

Just when you think you can crack on you find ya self having to give some affection:

Midnight - `hello dad have i ever told you i luv-ya?`

"Amos" - no !

Midnight - `SPOOF`......`now can i have some of those new crunchy buisquits`, `and another thing, that long white thing i`ll shag it when ya back is turned!`

P1020666-1.jpg

Having built a Denvacator TSR2 one problem with the white beast is making it look like a 3D object and not like a Corgy, my first attempt was a pritty ham fisted approach, once white and finished i just ran a clicker pencil down the panel lines. At the time it looked more `ish` than sweet, so, 6yrs on the same problem to solve. I`m not a fan of pre shading and dont advacate it mostly on the grounds of spraying a non discript dk or black colour then trying not to obliterate it later on. This time round i`m trying a two fold approach, one is to pencil in the panel lines first then spray over, this should show me how the panel lines and non panel areas look and to give some sort of shadow with a more toned down and subtle aproach. As an aside i`m also building the Airfix kit which i just dont trust the panel lines given, this approach will alow me to easily see any differances, so far the Herritage kit is looking the FAR superior kit in terms of detail accuracy.The second reason for a shaded area is that i hate having to rescribe panels and sofar never achieve this with resin............

This picture is the effect i`m looking to achieve in these pre prepared tail surfaces, this will be even more toned down with the final coat of paint.

P1020669-1.jpg

To sray this heavy weight beast i`ve drilled and inserted some large bore brass tubing.

P1020668-1.jpg

The first full coat of primer and more minor blemishes have appeared and will need filler/sanding. At this stage more detail has appeare in the yellow resin wing, previously been unseen.

P1020670-1.jpg;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fella`s time has been against me for the last 2-3 weeks as much as i like going to to model club its not a nights modelling, but its great to get out and get greef all night long long then!!!!! Then there`s work and the model club - due to working shift work i only get to see the lads every other month.......... the last week instead of a 3 day shift of 12.20hr i put in all 5 days............ On this forum a question was asked : good scribing tool, to which i replied `Squadron, i`ve used it for the last 20yrs`. Which brings me to another days modelling lost, i had a fantastic and long day out at the Avon model show, just a swift 340 mile round trip, it was a long day out. Bought some new to me stuff such as a Bare Metal scriber -it looks just like my old Squadron scriber but works beutifully. I think where i`ve gone wrong is keeping it for 20yrs, its blunt!!!!

Still mulling over the pre shading thing and some panel lines removed during the building process, this is what i`ve done : my spare time has been spent re-scribing the entire model. This is 3 fold reasons, firstly re-scribing panel lines has been hit and miss for me in the past, so in this case it has been a resounding success and this is down to a nice sharp tool. Secondly the panel lines in places are very fine, for me too fine and in some places by the time of the finished model these lines will be obliterated. So, everthing is reinstated and to a deep level. Thirdly, the lines are dark and so hopefully will be toned down with the painting process, but will dark enough just to be seen appropriatly to the white.

I`ve placed the Airfix kit next to this Herritage kit for comparrison of a solid white kit and what the lines look like now. I` ve used `speed tape to guide the scriber, its thick enough to guide and flexable to form to the contours and shape of the kit. I`ve previuostly used such things as the external part of the fret of brass etch sets for their straight edges, this can be a bit hit and miss. As you can see i`ve successfully re-scribed those long straight lines some of which were removed during sanding and cleaning up process. I`m looking at having this kit finished for Sutton Colefield, so, it should hopefully come along swiftly with small parts and the cockpit to keep me occupied.

P1020673-1.jpg;)

Hi Fella`s here`s where i`m at this week, its all preperation work.

Canopy - have been wanting this knocked on the head for a while. Work started as usual by drawing around the canopy and the waste with a black marker pen then with a new scalple blade drawing it around the canopy several times untill the waste is thin enough to be snapped out. I`m of the opinion that all canopies need to be opened and this one no differant , with vac-form i normall use both of them as the canopy framing is never wide enough and this has proved to be the same this time around. I`ve only cut one canopy out, the windscreen has lost the vertical framing but the two canopies are fine. My last vac-form canopy had very shallow framing and this was rectified by using model strip added externally, the TSR2 has a very prominent framing around the windscreen and this is the rout i`ll be taking to make it look the part. Seperating the canopies was easy i used the `speed tape` to guide the blade around plastic, made light work of this and no slippages. The canopies in real life are very thick and so all internal structure needs to be scratch built, another time...................

Ejection seats - the basic colours have been added silver body, black panel and seat cushon, dk sea grey headreast, bright green oxy bottle, yellow handles and red warnings. The silver of the body has been washed with my favorite Windsor and Newton `nut brown` ink, brings out the detail - nice. Although the seats come with the seat belts molded on i have a set of Eduard going spare and these will look far better.

Intake/Exhaust covers - not happy with the lack of detail in the exhaust and not wanting to detail the intakes these CMK blanks will work a treat and add a splash of colour to a white model. I`ve learned of a differant approach to painting red and this is what i`m using : as always resin gets primed with Tamiya primer this time white then i`ve sprayed it yellow. The thinking is that yellow will give a deeper finish to the red. My usuall method of certain colours is white before red/yellow.

Exhaust - i`m not a big fan of silver but this little area is enough to keep me happy. For Alclad you have to use a primer, so, on top of the Tamiya white i`ve now added the Alclad black prior to the one or two final colours going on. I could be lazy and just add one silver, but, my photo`s show the 3 proto types had a dk steel looking forward section and a lighter brighter rear section to this what i would asume is made of Titanium.

P1020674-1.jpg;)

Hi Fella`s i`ve had a good couple of consecuative days at this, able to consentrate a little better and this is what i`ve managed last `neet`.

`Nowt` gets past her in doors and she blurted out `wernt those yellow yesterday?` The intake/exhaust covers have sprayed up nicely, the gloss post office red is lovely and glossy, weather the yellow as a primer goes is debatable but deffinatly not detrimental to the end effect. All the detail on these parts have been highlighted with the Winsor And Newton ink, this may look a little too dark and may need to be removed for something more synpathetic to the red. The intake covers fit this kit fine but the exhaust are a little small so their final fittment will be done with a ring of plastic card being fitted in the back end.

The Alcad process has progressed to a basic coat of `Highly pollished aluminium` and other colours will follow next time i`m off shift.

The bang seats are finished with the Eduard etch for the Airfix TSR2 and now look the part, my only critasism is that the seat bases look a little small as trying to get the lap straps on and looking good is difficult.

Not shown but W.I.P is the inner details of the canopies, latters-tatters.

P1020675-1.jpg

P1020680-1.jpg;)

Hi Fella`s this weeks progress sooooo far, i`ve got 12 days orf and intend to put them to good use as well as lay the kitchen floor and compleatly re-do the little girls room and service both cars and not forgetting Sutton Coldfield model show..............Talking of which as i`ve already said i`m wanting this model done for then but this will be a v.tall order, and, if it is done for then i`ll get the POPE to bless it as it will be a bloody miricle!!

The photo`s are not a true reflection of all the work done on the model, but, am planning to regulary post this week and next.

This is not one of my `SPOOF`S` nor is it one of my companies prodjects - a stealth A/C. It is however how i`m planning to achieve fixing the U/C in place and that factor of the U/C angle - firstly the Herritage kit supplies large holes for the legs to fit into but these are wey bigger than the diamiter of the legs, so i`ve drilled and pinned the legs so they will have some stability. Also the wooden base is drilled to acept the wheels and hold everything in place whilst the Araldite cures. Secondly the wooden base is marked out as per the dimensions i`ve got for the A/C and these should adress the internet forum concerns that the legs on the Airfix kit are the wrong angle between 18.5 - 21 degrees. My info is as follows - between centers of the mains are 13``4` (13ft 4inch) and the distance between the center of the nose wheel to the center of the M.L.G is 28``11.5` (28ft 11.5 inch.) Remember that the Herritage kit comes with no fixing or referance for the legs so this should help.

The second photo was meant to be for my own collection of my cat, its not often that he gets to be photographed doing something out of the ordinary. What this got to do for you??? As a little aside i`d thought i`d show my modelling area, it is a wrighting beauro from IKEA, comprising of hollow seat, lower beauro and upper shelfs. The seat contains all non essential paints and parrifinallie, the beauro contains all daily tools and in progress modell/s with the upper shelf containing compressor, Acculight and books/ referance material for the W.I.P. As you can see i like to spread myself out, some thing that this is supposed to stop me from doing.....................close the beuaro and its all out of sight..................

Work carried out aswell : as you can see the exhaust is coverd for the final coat of paint, the exhausts have had two colours of silver added just like my photo`s. The canopies have had the inner lining s built but need fixing to to the vacform canopy, much more work needed here. Finally the ladders hace been painted silver as per the photographs of the ladder`s at Cosford, but, subsequent reserch show`s the photo`s of 219 at Warton 1964 were middle gloss blue, so back to the drawing board for them as blue will look much better.......

P1020701-1.jpg

P1020703-1.jpg;)

The second photo was meant to be for my own collection of my cat, its not often that he gets to be photographed doing something out of the ordinary.

He's not doing anything unusual, he's just keeping your seat warm - it's what cats do!

TSR looks good! :speak_cool:

Mike. :)

Edited by MikeR

Woody - YUP we do know each other, good to see you at the 70 Sqn reunion. Have asked Pete Lloyd if we could arrange another `bash`, he`s now in Agfhan for a little while. As an aside our real Sqn has now disbanded, if you look in this months Airforces Mag 70 Sqn A/C went out looking good with some nice Sqn tail art/markings. Are you a member of I.P.M.S Warrington? I only get to go every other month. ;)

Edited by amos brierley

Woody - YUP we do know each other, good to see you at the 70 Sqn reunion. Have asked Pete Lloyd if we could arrange another `bash`, he`s now in Afhan for a little while. As an aside our real Sqn has now disbanded, if you look in this months Airforces Mag 70 Sqn A/C went out looking good with some nice Sqn tail art/markings. Are you a member of I.P.M.S Warrington? I only get to go every other month. ;)

It's sad that 70 disbanded, I never knew that. All those flights in the Hercs, they were the days.

Are you on Facebook ?

If not, we are in Liverpool a week on Saturday for Gaz's 40th, some of the old crew are going to be out. Never knew IPMS existed to be honest mate. Between playing footy twice a week, training for the Warrington half marathon and supporting my son in his karting, I'm not sure I want to make any more commitments at the moment, think the missus would kill me !!!!

It's a small world, watching your build with great enjoyment.

Woody - true true about the commitments, i like the support from the IPMS as a club and the friendship , but the extra work needed will have me working things out in my head this year. Such as going to model exhabitions/displays like Sutton Coldfield and having to get up early and set up the stand and then manning it and then there`s the `comp` which i`m a big fan of. This year will be my frirst with the club for the `Nationals` we as a club also have taken upon ourselfs for several years to do the table setting up of the `Nats` on the Friday. More commitment to an already big weekend for myself. I`m presently working things out in my life such as directions and commitments, this model is going quite well but i`ve already written my scrip for the sidelined Airfix TSR2 and it is v.negative but thats another story and will be entitled the big Resurection...................... Finally no i`m not on face book sorry,but , i can be contacted here. Good to speak to-ya, laters, :D ( oh, nearly forgot.....................you may want to remaniss about that flight in the Herk where i was sick on takeoff just at V1 ROTATION, my dad said i was no son of his.......... but he was sick on landing!!!!!!! Make i L.O.L even now.) :lol:

Cant remember much about those early filghts in Herks as i seemed to be mostly :jealous: though i can remember vividly the flight that took me out to the Gulf for `Gulf War 1`.........the less said about that period of my life and how its shaped myself since. :angry: One flight was distinctly a poor one for a jolly, Pete`s ya man to ask. ;)

Hi Fella`s tonights update.

Today i`ve been busy doing painting in the little girls room, straingley enough its pink, no mans jobs for me today like fitting new doors , no power tools............If you are a person who buys the mag SAMI then you`ll be familiar with a new feature from 580 Modellers. In this months SAMI and this months 580 Modellers they discuss the ecellent IPMS Bolton birthday bash they`ve had reciently in which each invited guest club had to make a supplied model for which my club secetary duley dicked me. Where as on that occasion pink paint was supplied to spice up the models, so, sorry to say fella`s i cannot claim to be the `STIG`but I was the winner of that competition, but, today i`ve drawn a line at painting my nails pink.

Had i`d been writing this last night i`d have been a little angry as things did not go to plan and the feeling of the gloom cloud approaching :badmood: but have managed to stay in a good mood. One thing i lost was the windscreen, so i cut out the second one out then dipped it in Klear, also M.I.A was a scissor link from a main leg, a new day and both have turned up, the upside of the missing windscreen is that the new one fitts better than the old one!!!! :D Shame on the other catastrophies - two areas of freshly painted model have been damaged, Ggggrrrr.

The run of bad luck dident stop there. With the new windscreen drying i moved onto the canopies, i started by warming up with a Guinness :drink: i slopped some liqiuid glue on the inner lining of the canopy and prodded and clamped, but it was all for nought, one hinge fell off and one side of a window ( see photo) then it just wouldent stick. :angry: Now today i know know why, glue wont stick to a Klear`d canopy. So, off to the fridge again :drink: now in a moment of madness or a moment of genius i cut the other conopy lining in two blobbed on some superglue and bobs ya uncle, 30 seconds of joy, vr`s 10 mins of hacking aroud with 2hrs of pre done work in tatters......

Good news, the U/C door parts have been laminated together the main doors needed to be formed to the shape of the fuselarge, the U/C have been glued on, the wheels painted and weatherd and finally the airframe has had a coat of Halfords Appliance White misted on. And........ the windscreen has had its external framing added from pre cut strips, making sure these were painted the internal grey first,it now looks superb. Also...........the cockpit had had a swift brush coat of grey. .................Hoping to start to have the cockpit and canopies finished soon.

P1020705-1.jpg

P1020706-1.jpg;)

Hi Fella`s, today i`m thinking of making this my last posting of this model unless something untoward happens to it.

I` ve pulled out all the stops to keep this kit moving forward, today in the last few hours the canopies have been finished and the cockpit gone over throughly, so, as it stands, most of the klit is now sub assembled and good to go. I dont think the last missing parts such as pitot statics require me to spend time here. I`ll let the photo`s speak for themselfs. I`ll see you in Ready For Inspection soon.

Finally i would like to thank you all for looking and appreciating my efforts, i`ve been under the doom cloud reciently and your support has been muchly appreciated :D

P1020749-1.jpg

P1020750-1.jpg

P1020758-1.jpg

Hi Fella` s , well, it was too good to be true that it was concevable that the model could have been finished for tommorrow night. So with a red face i have to say that the model will not be ready till late next week - BAH!!! iI was thwarted by the decals and reasearch, or the lack of both - her in doors was on the computer and i could not access my photo`s. Grrr. The Herritage instructions are a little vauge to say the least when it comes to decal placement, and so in a fit of stupidity i used the instructions for the 1/48 Denvacator kit..................... Bloody good plan i thought .................... untill the pink walkway decals ran out and as usuall its not a colour i`ve got in stock. So, nothing too serious. Just that the paint wont be dispatched untill next Wednesday. In the mean time i`ll be doing more research on wing walk ways and using the Airfix decals for the warnings as the Herritage kit comes with very few, and just to add insult to injury the Airfix walk way decals are compleatly different and just look wrong.

;)