Tomcat books

gunpowder17

The Modellers Data File, by Andy Evans, is the best book under twenty pounds, all atypes covered, good colour photos, great walkaround pics and best of all a comprehensive listing of all avaliable kits and acessories. And if thats not enough we have the 1/48 scale plans and cockpit detail. I have it and would recommed it to all.

Buy One you wont be dissapointed.

Dave

Whats the best book on the F-14 for under £20! Is the Modellers datafile one any good?

I don't know the Modellers datafile book but the best two I have are DACO's "uncovering the F-14A/B/D" and Verlinden's "Lock On 18". The DACO book is the best of the two but it's twice the price of the other. The Squadron/Signal or Osprey books are nowhere near these two in my humble opinion, from a modeller's perspective of course. For war stories they are great.

Arnaud

Edited by arnobiz

Thanks Guys. I may well go for the modellers datafile. I have a 1/48 F-14A on the go and the new Trumpeter 1/32 F-14D that i will be starting soon!

Over the last few months I've managed to collect all of the Modellers Datafile series - so I'm ready for 17 and 18 now! The style has changed considerably since the original format and IMHO not necessarily for the better. Contrary to some opinions I have to say that the Tomcat volume is probably the most disappointing of the lot to me, especially the drawings which are in 1/48th only and, by comparison with other volumes, nowhere near as extensive. Yes the photos are good but you can find photos of F-14s all over the place and that was not the reason I bought the series!

Plenty 'o' plans here:

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fighter/f14.html#camo

I'd have to agree that the Daco book is awesome. I don't really like the newer Datafiles, I have to say...

This:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grumman-F-14-Tomca.../dp/0760325766/

can be bought with this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/F-14-Tomcat-Story-.../dp/0752449850/

...for just over £20 at the moment. Between the two, and the drawings you've just downloaded for nothing, I think you'd get a pretty comprehensive inspiration and reference package!

bestest,

M.

Any book with a Tomcat in it is good in my opinion! Janes did an "At the Controls" title a few years ago, it was probably lees than £15. The book by World AirPower Journal-"Shipborne Superfighter" is a cracker, as is the book by Admiral Paul Gilchrist, but these two are probably more than £20.

Enjoy the Trumpeter Tomcat Andrew, I love it!

Joel

I have a number of Tomcat books. The above one and the Daco books are by far the best of those that I have.

I'm sure if you look around you should be able to get the above book a lot cheaper. I bought it a year or so ago for £18 if I remember correctly (and even then Amazon was showing the silly prices).

But the Daco book is fantastic, lots and lots of pics and plans in 1/72 and 1/48 if I remember correctly.

Thanks Guys. I went for the Daco one in the end and thanks to that I have some really good photos of the cockpit which i have put to good use already on my Trumpeter one!

I agree about the Datafile series. The last one i bought was the lightning and that was disapointing

Thanks for the replies guys

Andrew