Buccaneer Group Build

Thank you!

I love the nose art ones from Desert Storm... wheeling the old girls out because no other aircraft could do the job is my kind of story! But maybe there will be quite a few of them so failing that probably 809 Squadron - Squirrel Grey or extra dark sea grey unless anyone else is building them.

Thank you!

I love the nose art ones from Desert Storm... wheeling the old girls out because no other aircraft could do the job is my kind of story! But maybe there will be quite a few of them so failing that probably 809 Squadron - Squirrel Grey or extra dark sea grey unless anyone else is building them.

:welcome: to the forums md.

I'm not planning on doing a squirrel grey machine for this GB, but I do have one on the list for the future. Do you have a colour match for it, either a ready mixed paint, or a mix, or FS number or....???

Cheers

Keef

:welcome: to the forums md.

I'm not planning on doing a squirrel grey machine for this GB, but I do have one on the list for the future. Do you have a colour match for it, either a ready mixed paint, or a mix, or FS number or....???

Cheers

Keef

Thank you! I can see I'm going to have to work up a whole bunch of new excuses to friends and family already!

I haven't got a colour match at all I'm afraid... right now I'm having enough fun colour matching Malta fighters to get into an extra research mission. I guess it will end up as a Desert Storm model with a saucy lady on the nose... but looking forward to this build tremendously.

right now I'm having enough fun colour matching Malta fighters to get into an extra research mission.

OK thanks, if I find a squirell grey match I'll let you know! I look forward to reading your conclusions on the Malta fighter colours - that usually leads to some lively discussion! I'm currently reading a book called 'Life on a Spitfire Squadron' by a Spitfire pilot called Barney Barnfather. He flew a Spitfire into Malta off the Wasp & fought with 603 squadron. The book is mainly excerpts from the squadrons ORB, but is really interesting in showing what the island had to endure at the time! Nothing about colours in it though!

Keef

OK thanks, if I find a squirell grey match I'll let you know! I look forward to reading your conclusions on the Malta fighter colours - that usually leads to some lively discussion! I'm currently reading a book called 'Life on a Spitfire Squadron' by a Spitfire pilot called Barney Barnfather. He flew a Spitfire into Malta off the Wasp & fought with 603 squadron. The book is mainly excerpts from the squadrons ORB, but is really interesting in showing what the island had to endure at the time! Nothing about colours in it though!

Keef

I've got the Barney Barnfather book on order... Waterstone's has made a complete hash of it so far. Ordered two books in-store with birthday voucher - one got stuck on the shelf and sold, the other AWOL. Can't get the staff these days!

Looking forward to this build, though... :coolio:

I've got the Barney Barnfather book on order... Waterstone's has made a complete hash of it so far. Ordered two books in-store with birthday voucher - one got stuck on the shelf and sold, the other AWOL. Can't get the staff these days!

Have you gat a 'Works' bookshop near you - that's where I got mine. Paperback though.

K

• 3 weeks later...

chaps has anyone got any sapre 1/72 gulf war decals, not the airfix kit ones any other scheemes? i have the 1/48 sheet and planning to build some of them but want 1 or 2 in 1/72 so i could do with another one, off the 1/72 MA sheet?

also last chance to have seriels in 48 or 72 printed, i have a corner of one sheet left to fill, (not white serials) then im not printing any more!!

Thank you! I can see I'm going to have to work up a whole bunch of new excuses to friends and family already!

I haven't got a colour match at all I'm afraid... right now I'm having enough fun colour matching Malta fighters to get into an extra research mission. I guess it will end up as a Desert Storm model with a saucy lady on the nose... but looking forward to this build tremendously.

if you need 1/48 gulf decals let me know

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've got everything I need to do the S1 I've wanted to do for years, except for time amongst all the other projects & a serious loss of motivation for taking & uploading the pics needed for group builds. So I may reluctantly withdraw from this one. Will look forward to seeing everyone else's Brick builds though!

Keef

ok less then 2 months too go!!

any more bricks to join! the wall

Hi Mark, if you have room for another, please can you add me to the list

Cheers

Bucc284

Count me in on this one Mark ;)

Buccaneer to be built will be XN976 of No. 208 Sqn RAF Lossiemouth. This Bucc received a special scheme to commemorate the Squadrons 75th Anniversary. Overall Black with light Blue spine and upper tail area.

Brief History:-

In service from 1962-1992, XN976 was used as a trial airframe at A&AEE Boscombe Down and USNAS Pensacola (Tropical Trials) and alse HMS Hermes for deck trials. In 1971 it was issued to 237 OCU Honington and in 1974 was sent to BAe Systems for upgrade to S. Mk2B varient. 1975 re-issued to 12 Sqn RAF Honington before the fleet of Buccaneers was grounded for 6 months following the crash of XV345 during Exercise Red Flag 80 at Nellis AFB United States. In 1987 she went to BAe Woodford for an Avionics Upgrade Programme lasting 45 weeks. After AUP programme 976 transfered to 'Station Flight' at RAF Lossiemouth. In 1988 it was re-issued to 208 Sqn Lossiemouth coded 976. From 1989-1991 the airframe was modified to have smaller wingtips added to increase service life by reducing wing loading. This was done as a result of fatigue testing on XN982 at HS Brough to determine the cause of the crash of XV345. In 1991 XN976 was transfered to RAF Abingdon for repainting in special markings to mark the 75th Anniversary of 208 Sqn before its scheduled disbandment on 1st April 1993. In May 1991, it returned to 208 Sqn RAF Lossiemouth in the new scheme and by this time XN976 was the oldest operational Buccaneer in service. The aircraft flew in this 75th scheme for 14 months but on 9th July 1992, 976 suffered a PFCU failure and the aircraft crashed 50 miles East of RAF Leuchars

XN976. Taken at RAF Lossiemouth just two weeks before her demise

0772875.jpg

The Model

Extras will be:-

Airwaves Etched wing fold kit

Pavla Models cockpit interior

Paragon Designs Flaps

Edwards etched Exterior

Edwards etched Interior

Model Alliance Decal Set

oh yeah.....and a 1/48th Airfix Buccaneer ;)

Edited by RobMac

Ok, I have decided on a subject (and gone ahead with a bit of a start so I will have SOME hope of finishing in time)!

It will be XX895 the year of its delivery to 12 Squadron at Honington - 1976. This calls for the Dark Sea Grey/Dark Green over Light Aircraft Grey scheme. At this point, I intend to load it out with 2 slipper tanks and 2 AR Martels - will have to scratch build the pylon adapters for the Martels - <_< .

XX895 was a late S.2B built for the RAF. This means that, in terms of mods, the Airfix S.2B is accurate as is, only needing some inprovements in terms of detail rather than accuracy. As for mods, the most prominent would be the post mod 1044 air brake petals. This choice saves some headaches; if you are concerned about such things.

So far, I have been working with the Flightpath set, Eduard frets, Neomega cockpit and some supplemental scratch bits. No worries - there is PLENTY left to work on! Decals will be drawn from several sheets as I have just about all that have been printed and like to get the best out of each. Unfortunately this means there will still be many kit decals to use; we need a Buccaneer stencil sheet Xtradecal!!!!!

Cheers - Jack

Edited by wadeocu

Hi all

This is my first Britmodeller GB, is there any chance I could have a banner please, I understand you can PM me the banner to copy into my signiature is that correct?

Many thanks

All the best

Chris

Check your private messages BigBad ;)