Finally done something

Trumpeter 1/32 F4U-5 Corsair Pratt & Witney 2800 work in prog - first bit of plastic I have slapped together in 14 years.

pw2800.jpg

I was never happy with the kits representation of the distributors so I turned a couple up - not been on a lathe in a while either.

They are not accurate either but represent the real thing a little better I think.

I managed to lose the part that represents the oil pump on the bottom of the reduction gear case so I built another and also added the "chin" that this sits on as it is missing from the kit and is a very prominent feature of the engine. I made it from a 1/48 scale bomb rack from some old kit from yonks ago.

Its certainly far from perfect and I'll be damned if I can get any of what little painting skills I had back then but it was fun to build and has whetted my appetite to do more.

Any feedback welcome

After 14 years, damn I hope my efforts of getting back into this hobby come out like yours Clarkie :speak_cool: That Radial looks sweet!! Are you using a hobby lathe for your turning?? :hmmm:

Edited by KiwiSteve

Hey thanks but I think perhaps the praise is a bit OTT considering the skill that oozes out of this site.

Re the Lathe:

I'm pretty lucky that I am still a key holder to a local engineering/sheetmetal shop so I can trot on down their and use their stuff if required. The lathe is the smallest a Triumph 1000 or similar. A bit big really for my stuff but its good to keep the skills up I guess not that I will ever be an real engineer for as long as I have a fundamental orifice - I won't tell you how many distributors I made before I had 2 I was happy to use :banghead:

• 2 weeks later...
Trumpeter 1/32 F4U-5 Corsair Pratt & Witney 2800 work in prog - first bit of plastic I have slapped together in 14 years.

pw2800.jpg

I was never happy with the kits representation of the distributors so I turned a couple up - not been on a lathe in a while either.

They are not accurate either but represent the real thing a little better I think.

I managed to lose the part that represents the oil pump on the bottom of the reduction gear case so I built another and also added the "chin" that this sits on as it is missing from the kit and is a very prominent feature of the engine. I made it from a 1/48 scale bomb rack from some old kit from yonks ago.

Its certainly far from perfect and I'll be damned if I can get any of what little painting skills I had back then but it was fun to build and has whetted my appetite to do more.

Any feedback welcome

If that's the first you've done in 14 years then I'd love to know what you've been doing instead? Precsion timepieces?? ACTUAL engines in 1/32 that work???