So, has anyone actually BUILT the Airfix Lifeboat yet?

Dave Fleming

Model shop in Dunfermline eh? Must organise a visit!

John

Nothing spectacular - mainly railways, some other stock, including kits & more importantly Humbrol enamels, Humrol Acrylics and tamyia Acrylics.

Abbey Models, opposite the Abbey Churchyard

I'm starting work my second tonight so if anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Yeh. Got any pics of the first one?

Nige.

fe5e10c64f.jpg

I put the upper structure together tonight, it does take careful alignment but it all fits together. The only thing I have done differently this time as to remove to of the locating lugs from the inner side pieces as this helps it align better with the deck.

I'm starting work my second tonight so if anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask.

What're our chances of a build article Mr Mock sir? :please::worthy::kissing2:

Yeah are you gonna put a Bofors gun on the front and turn it into a Pirate ship?

• 2 weeks later...
here are the corrected schemes for "RNLB Pride of the Humber" that I could figure out from photos.

Enjoy.

W

Initial scheme:

PrideoftheHumber1copy.jpg

Current Scheme:

PrideoftheHumber2copy.jpg

I think you'll find that its the other way around - the serif typeface is the old scheme whereas the scheme in the kit - with the FF Din Font - is the new scheme, and the reasons for the names being left out has already been explained.

Edited by Jonathan Mock

• 2 months later...
Not seen one finished yet - and some group builds on other fora have been going on for ages.

Is the delay in completions due to a Global shortage of Miliput because of the inherently poor parts-fit? :shithappens:

Cheers

Dave

The milliput joke wasn't funny the first time you cracked it, and to force me to endure it twice in one day is not appreciated.

:tumble:

Forgotten those pics were here! Gives me something to aim for. I did notice on the Weymouth boat that there was a cover over the inflatable, I was considering adding that made from some plastic bag.

Secondly, there is a difference in hues of orange in some of the pictures I've seen, mainly on the crane. I was thinking of adding a couple of drops of gloss black to some gloss orange to darken it up?

Not worried about milliput, I've got plenty of Humbrol filler put by if I ever need it - probably on my next Avro Anson project! ;)

Best

Rich

Is this the one with the all-blue hull???

Cheers

Dave

No, its the one with the blue and red hull with a beautifully masked water line. No more remarks like that please.

Oh he wouldn't would he!

Is this the one with the all-blue hull???

Cheers

Dave

You seem bitter. Why?

As Richard M had explained in his thread -if you bothered to read it- He painted the hull blue to give colour depth to the red that was to follow.

Still, you could always build one and let us know how you get on.

You seem bitter. Why?

Hi Brian,

I'm not bitter - just confused! :rofl:

Jon Mock wrote - "Um.. Richard, you know the blue is at the top and red is at bottom of the waterline? You seem to have it the other way round."

Richard M wrote - " Just realised that, I'm really not having a good day. I am now going to abuse the first inanimate object I come across by banging my head against it repeatedly"

Which to me, inferred that he'd mistakenly painted the colours the wrong way round - I hope you can now see why I am confused!

Still, you could always build one and let us know how you get on.

Indeed - IF I could afford the filler!

If I can get the kit cheap enough on evilbay I might just dare to have a go at it

Cheers

Dave

Edited by warshipbuilder

Just to clear up any confusion. I did paint the wrong colour on first go (Hu15 instead of Hu19)- complete brain freeze. What can I say, despite making models for a few years, I don't suffer from delusions of grandeur and don't claim to be better than most, remember - it's just a hobby.

I jokingly referrred to the Hu15 being an undecoat for the gloss - I'm not bothered about people knowing I made a mistake or I would have deleted and amended the thread. The build is on-track, and I'm enjoying it, certainly makes a nice change from the 1/72 aircraft that usually occupy my comfort zone. If you're interested in seeing the progress (or just want to spot the next, inevitable clanger!) check here.

Piccy to wet your appetites!

DSCF008.jpg

Best

Rich