So, has anyone actually BUILT the Airfix Lifeboat yet?

Dave Fleming

I waited until I could actually buy one from an RNLI shop (Whitby in this case) so that more of the profit could go to them (As usual, We spent a fortune in the RNLI station, but that's another story.....)

Actually, I didn't buy it, as my father-in-law insisted on buying it as a present!

So, has anyone actually built it? Tips, hints?

One positive result already - my daughter has asked to help build it!

I waited until I could actually buy one from an RNLI shop (Whitby in this case) so that more of the profit could go to them (As usual, We spent a fortune in the RNLI station, but that's another story.....)

Actually, I didn't buy it, as my father-in-law insisted on buying it as a present!

I started it.. does that count?

Firstly- have a look at the steps that run down to the interior/engine room or whatever. The door being open is a really interesting visual feature and visible from the outside when buttoned up. IF you wanted to pose the door open, then it would be wise to put a few steps down inside by scratchbuilding, and paint hte interior of the model BLACK- Like I DIDNT... damn.

The main hull assembly is actually pretty nifty- for someone with modeling skills, but I think it would be a tad tricky for a youngster.

I had to put it back in the box afte rreaching the end of my "first wind," and was extremely satisfied with the whole experience. Shame the mouldings are a little "SOFT" in detail, but otherwise a great kit waiting to come out.

Well done Airfix.

I've looked at it.............

Guest Drewe

Not me, but I did see pictures of one built up yesterday, and mighty fine it looked too.

Paging Mockradamus, Mockradamus to the courtesy phone. . .

Oh you mean this?

fe5e10c64f.jpg

That's SFTB, am working on a second, going to use paint effects to pick out the detail abit more.

Shame the interior isn't visible because there's a lot of detail in there!

Edited by Jonathan Mock

Guest Drewe
You can make it detachable - I glued it down because... actually why the heck did I do that?

:wall:

You were so sucked into the act of actually finishing a model that you got carried away and couldn't stop yourself?

You were so sucked into the act of actually finishing a model that you got carried away and couldn't stop yourself?

Oi! Don't mock the afflicted! :whistling:

Oi! Don't mock the afflicted! :whistling:

The IPMS Avon show can't come quick enough for me to smite the pair of you...

Started mine a few weeks ago. Disappointed by the poor colour references. I mean, numbers of Humbrol paints in this day and age, come on!

Lots of detail left out, but unless you leave the rear hatch open, you can't see it anyway. Open bridge detail poor too and this you can see.

The transfers for the Humber lifeboat are wrong, it should read "Pride of the Humber".

A couple of progress pics:

Bits.jpg

Hull-1.jpg

Hull.jpg

W

The transfers for the Humber lifeboat are wrong, it should read "Pride of the Humber".

That has already been discussed here, eseentially the it was the RNLI who asked that the individual names of the lifeboats not be used.

I remember someone, somewhere giving the paint references for it in terms of Halfords car colours... anyone remember who, or where? I'd like to use Halfords rattle cans for at least the blue and the orange...

bestest,

M.

Have at ook at my quick review here all the links you need are included. Including a link to the paint guides.

Nige.

The transfers for the Humber lifeboat are wrong, it should read "Pride of the Humber"

Thanks for the info Jonathan, finding all these snippets in a multitude of threads is nigh on impossible.

Would have been nice if they had stated such on the instructions though!

I still think the paint number references are naff though, they could at least have named them so's us builders can scource the colour of our choice................ :fraidnot:

W

I still think the paint number references are naff though, they could at least have named them so's us builders can scource the colour of our choice................ :fraidnot:

W

Yeah I'm thinking of choosing Hot Barbie Pink with sparkles for mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got my model to the adding the superstructure point. I had been test fitting if for days, sanding down where necessary and it fitted great.

Added cement and guess what, the bloody thing exploded!

So, having spent two months, a fortune in paint, masking tape and electricity, I decided. I binned it.

A more exasperating kit I have yet to build (or attempt to).

Anyway, if anyone out there (apart from Jonathan), is giving it a go, good luck, bon voyage and here are the corrected schemes for "RNLB Pride of the Humber" that I could figure out from photos.

Enjoy.

W

Initial scheme:

PrideoftheHumber1copy.jpg

Current Scheme:

PrideoftheHumber2copy.jpg

Sorry to hear you binned your one. We're having an Airfix RNLI Lifeboat GB over on the Airfix Tribute Forum, starting September 1st. Should be an interesting experience, it must be 25 years since I built a floaty thing. Nice thing about GB's (given my glacial build rate) is benefiting from everyone else's experience ;)

Best

Rich