IMAI SHADO Mobile

I recently treated myself to the UFO DVD boxset, which reminded me how much I enjoyed it as a child. A bit of searching led me to the IMAI kit of the Shado Mobile, which I bought and found was very toylike. I embellished the cabin and used a couple of Airfix 1/48th scale British Infantry figures for the crew. I used a few spare decals as well as the kits. Given it’s toylike parts, I was happy how it turned out. I am keeping a look out for an interceptor and Skydiver. Thanks for looking.

Shado Mobile

Shado Mobile

Shado Mobile

Shado Mobile

• Like 27

That is very nice!

Absolutely  love UFO!

The mobiles were brilliant, along with just about all the other vehicles!

Great work :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, donkeychomp said:

I love the UFO series. Nice job on the mobile! Can I ask what paint you used?

Alex

Hi Alex, I used a mix of Tamiya acrylics, X3 Gloss Royal Blue and X11 Chrome Silver. I added drops of blue into the silver until I got the shade I liked. Thinned with 30 to 40% Tamiya thinner. Cheers Neil

• Like 1

It has certainly come a long way from the toy-like details in the beginning. I read on Britmodeller that you can get spray cans made up to your colour specification, so that might be one approach for those who prefer rattlecans. 

• Like 1

Yes you can, and a place near me does just that. Thing is you need a sample of the colour you want to match. I have a Dinky diecast metal Mobile painted (wrongly like all of them) in green. So I need something silver/blue really.  That or a colour code.

Alex

• Like 1

Great job on this build, one of my fav's.   Round2 announced last year they are working on a new kits for the Mobile, Interceptor and UFO.   I look forward to getting all three!   In the meantime customizing the old Imai kit is a great idea.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done, I've got two of these kits in the stash but haven't got round to building them after building the Studio Scale one a couple years back. The Round 2 announcements were really good but I have a sad feeling they'll be making them in 1:48 scale ie this size rather than something larger that is more worthwhile.

Never mind, better to have new kits in the wrong scale than nothing :D

• Like 2