Yellow Wings. Curtiss BF2C ***Finished***

My modelling interest in this period lies mainly with Naval Aviation, specifically the Silver Wings of the Fleet Air Arm and the Yellow Wings of the US Navy.

Going with the Yellow Wings, previous GBs saw me build in 1/32 the Grumman F3F (Revell) and Boeing F4B (Hasegawa).

For this GB I will be building the Curtiss BF2C in 1/32 from Hasegawa.

Curtis’s BF2C

The BF2C had a short service life, 1934 to 1937. Withdrawn in 1937 after it became apparent the wings had become weakened due to the stresses caused by dive bombing.

The kit decals look like they have seen better days, so will be using an aftermarket sheet from the appropriately named Yellow-Wings Decals to build an aircraft from VF-5B, USS Ranger. I believe this was the only squadron that flew the BF2C.

• Like 12

These 1/32nd scale Hasegawa interwar kits have always interested me but I've never yet found one at a decent price so will enjoy this one vicariously while watching your progress :)

• Like 1

Wow, one more Curtiss bipe. I loved the big Hasegawa interwar kits in their times

• Like 2

Great subject, JB!

Curtiss almost lost any future business with Navy over this one. What weakened the wings was sympathetic vibration of their metal structure with the motor at cruising speeds. It was grounded after one fell apart in the air. Curtiss couldn't fix it by any means other than reverting to the earlier wooden Hawk wings: the Navy wouldn't pay for it, and wanted metal airframes. The whole remaining batch was stripped of motors and instruments and dropped over the side off the California coast. With the wooden wing, it was the Hawk III, which did very well on the export market.

James

• Thanks 1

Primed the up wing with pink primer from Army Painter, before a blast of yellow, both from rattle cans.

Curtiss BF2C

Curtiss BF2C

Added the upper wing and started rigging using ezline.

Curtiss BF2C

• Like 7

Pink primer - nice idea! Your yellow looks spot-on, not the strong orange-yellow often used by modellers and more associated with Air Corps wings. I'm using the same technique for the upper wing - first attach and rig the lower half and then close the upper half.

• 2 weeks later...

Took me most of the weekend but got the wings and rigging done. There was some swearing involved, and a couple of times I had to walk away from the bench before it got the better of me.

Curtiss BF2C

• Like 6

The result you've produced looks to have been well worth the effort you expended JB :goodjob:

Decals done, they behaved well.

Curtiss BF2C

One the home straight, aim to finish this weekend. With GBs coming thick and fast, need to progress my NATO GB entry before the US Naval Aviation, Classic Airfix and D-Day GBs start.

• Like 5

• Jb65rams changed the title to Yellow Wings. Curtiss BF2C ***Finished***