Armstrong Whitworth Argosy

Hi again everyone.

In addition to my Bentley, I'm also hoping to build at least one Golden Age aircraft.

A big biplane with three engines would seem to be a good place to start :winkgrin:.

Armstrong_Whitworth_Argosy,_Card_No_03_(

Luckily, I have this 1/200 scale, white metal kit which was produced in the UK by Helmet Models.

spacer.png

My second-hand example has no box or instructions, but does at least have some (slightly yellowed), Imperial Airways decals.

Cheers

• Like 16

Welcome Cliff, that plane looks interesting but the wee tiny engine out front looks way underpowered even though I presume it had three in total. I see a 2nd one on the starboard wing so presume it had a 3rd. 

• Like 1

Another uncommon subject choice from a manufacturer I've never heard of before Cliff :speak_cool:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome Cliff, that plane looks interesting but the wee tiny engine out front looks way underpowered even though I presume it had three in total. I see a 2nd one on the starboard wing so presume it had a 3rd. 

Thanks Dennis.  Yes, it's a tri-motor and was used by Imperial Airways on their European routes.  As in the States, it was part of a move towards multi-engine safety on commercial aircraft.

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Another uncommon subject choice from a manufacturer I've never heard of before Cliff :speak_cool:

Thanks Col.  At one time there was a very active 1/200 'One True Scale', movement in the UK.  There were several 'cottage industry' producers working in metal and/or resin.  Sadly, most of the protagonists have now passed away, although a few remain, largely in support of the wargaming market.  The new kids on the block are the 3D-printers - they're output is prolific, but IMHO lacks the character of the 'old school' producers ;).

3 hours ago, marvinneko said:

Always enjoy your metal plane builds... amazing what you can do with them in that scale.

Thank you :).  I'm slowly getting to appreciate metal as a medium.  It's still a pain to work with, but at least the finished results are satisfyingly heavy!

Cheers

• Like 3

Nice to see another unusual subject join the fray. Those between-wars airliners radiated a lot of atmosphere, and they didn't lose any emergency exit doors in flight...!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Toryu said:

Nice to see another unusual subject join the fray. Those between-wars airlines radiated a lot of atmosphere, and they didn't lose any emergency exit doors in flight...!

From a time when things were still made with pride rather than profit in mind.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

one passenger who went missing on a flight across the Channel..

At that time the toilets emptied through open orifices in the bottom of the plane...!

• Haha 3

Very interesting! I wonder how efficient that central engine was, with that massive fuselage behind. It's this kind of naivety that attracts me to many Golden Age designs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...