Vallejo Model Air question

Hello! 

I normally paint my models with Vallejo Model Air paints as I have really come to enjoy their "feel" when brush painting. Normally, I refer to Vallejo's box sets for picking up the right colours for my models (yes, I know there are some slight accuracy issues with their paints, but for the most part I'm not too bothered since they look pretty alright to my eye). However, I was doing some research on Vallejo's RAF Day Fighter set and saw this photo:

For Vallejo's Medium Sea Grey, it looks much darker than what I think it should look like! I haven't seen many complaints about the other paints in the set, however. 

My question is, for the Day Fighter Scheme, what VMA colours would you recommend? I don't want to really step outside of the paint line as I have really grown accustomed to VMA's properties. I'm personally happy with the shade of Vallejo's Dark Green, I'm just a little confused regarding the greys in the DFS. 

While I am here, are there any issues of similar gravity with Vallejo's Temperate Sea Scheme recommendations? 

Thank you for your help!

It is a bit dark, but not like that pic shows.

I do note that they say they brushpainted it, which in my experience tends to work less well. 
Spraying leaves a thinner coat so less 'dense'.

embed?resid=3bf77d171b0e492c!890666&auth

• Like 1

@Casey posted measurements of various paints compared to the samples from the book British Aviation Colours of World War Two.   The results for Vallejo  71.307  BS Medium Sea Grey was a rating of 5.3, while a rating of 2.0 or less is considered a good match.   It was suggested a better paint match from Vallejo brand and rated at 1.59 is  Vallejo - 71.050

See pages from 2 and 3 from the link below

9 hours ago, B0BY_1234567 said:

I'm just a little confused regarding the greys in the DFS. 

the post linked by @JackG  will give as good answer as you will get.

Acrylic model paint makers seem to have a great deal of difficulty matching the MAP paint standard.

Medium Sea Grey is one of a family of Sea Greys,  they have subtle purple-blue hue to them.   Various model paints tend to be an olive or brown hued grey. 

Ocean Grey has a slight green hue to it, it's not obvious as tends to appear 'blueish' when next to Dark Green.

53530683561_8b3a7c6945_b.jpg

Taken in direct sunlight, to my eye the Ocean Grey is dead on, the camera thinks otherwise.

I made up mixes with Tamiya to the MAP chart,  and others as well,  which made me appreciate how carefully these colours were chosen,  they change subtly in different light conditions. 

9 hours ago, B0BY_1234567 said:

I normally paint my models with Vallejo Model Air paints as I have really come to enjoy their "feel" when brush painting.

If you use Model Color you get more paint, as they need thinning.   Model Air are a bit watery for brush work I find.

HTH

If you have trouble finding the entry with measurements matches, try thus link instead:

Maybe I should extract it in a separate post one day since the original thread went into generic can of worms... :)

Edited by Casey
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Casey said:

If you have trouble finding the entry with measurements matches, try thus link instead:

Maybe I should extract it in a separate post one day since the original thread went into generic can of worms... :)

Thanks for doing the tedious work for all of us! I did some digging around and I found most of what I was looking for, but what VMA colour would you recommend for Ocean Grey, if any? 

51 minutes ago, B0BY_1234567 said:

Thanks for doing the tedious work for all of us! I did some digging around and I found most of what I was looking for, but what VMA colour would you recommend for Ocean Grey, if any? 

If I had no other choices than VMA, I'd use 71.273 | Ocean Gray | Gris Oceano | FS36176 | BS629.

100x100100x100

It has a wrong tint and it is not that close (>3.0 DE)

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

If I had no other choices than VMA, I'd use 71.273 | Ocean Gray | Gris Oceano | FS36176 | BS629.

100x100100x100

It has a wrong tint and it is not that close (>3.0 DE)

Ok, thank you for the recommendation. I see that it is slightly off but it is still just about close enough for me. Thanks again! 

7 hours ago, alt-92 said:

It is a bit dark, but not like that pic shows.

I do note that they say they brushpainted it, which in my experience tends to work less well. 
Spraying leaves a thinner coat so less 'dense'.

embed?resid=3bf77d171b0e492c!890666&auth

Precisely. Brush paint is always going to give a more dense coat than spraying, hence the color looks darker. It also makes a difference what color primer is used. Painting over a black primer will give a different shade than painting over a gray primer than painting over a white primer, etc.

If you aren’t adverse to using Vallejo Model Color (I find they brush pretty well using a wet palette technique), I found this here: https://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1474297046471.pdf.  On page 11, it recommends mixing two parts 70.905 and one part 70.991 for Medium Sea Grey.  For Ocean Grey it recommends two parts 70.868, one part 70.900, & one part 70.904.  I haven’t tried it so I can’t comment one way or the other on accuracy but maybe it’s worth a shot.

To confuse the issue even more Vallejo Model Color does have a Medium Sea Grey (70.870) in its range.

7 hours ago, Matthew1974 said:

If you aren’t adverse to using Vallejo Model Color (I find they brush pretty well using a wet palette technique), I found this here: https://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1474297046471.pdf.  On page 11, it recommends mixing two parts 70.905 and one part 70.991 for Medium Sea Grey.  For Ocean Grey it recommends two parts 70.868, one part 70.900, & one part 70.904.  I haven’t tried it so I can’t comment one way or the other on accuracy but maybe it’s worth a shot.

To confuse the issue even more Vallejo Model Color does have a Medium Sea Grey (70.870) in its range.

Thank you for the extra help!