Dingo Mk II, The Inns of Court Regiment, 1944 - 1:35 MiniArt Kit

This is my completed Miniart Dingo Mk II

Build: The kit is pretty good out of the box but I went to town on this one, adding DEF Model weighted wheels, Star Decals markings, MiniArt Allied Jerry cans, stowage from Tamiya and Red Zebra sets, as well as boxes and chains from my spares box. Some parts are scratch built.

Paint: Base colours are acrylics. Ammo One shot primer, Hataka SCC 15 Olive drab, Ammo enamel washes, and Abteilung 502 oils over the top. Details done in numerous acrylic paints.

Vehicle: I’ve based this one on a Getty Images photo of a very dusty Dingo serving with the Inns of Court regiment in September 1944. Photos often show Dingos covered in stowage, so I have added a lot to this one.

Notes: The Dingo Scout Car Society Facebook page is a marvellous source of information as is the daimler-fighting-vehicles.co.uk website. I’ve been lucky enough to examine running and museum display Dingos as well.

The kit goes together well but you need to plan the build carefully. The suspension especially is tricky and delicate so needs care. This is the second MiniArt Dingo I’ve done and it has been great fun to research and build it.

spacer.png

Markings are for a vehicle from the Inns of Court regiment by Star Decals. The regiment went ashore on D-Day and fought across NW Europe until the end of the war.

spacer.png

The fine splashes of mud on the wheels are copied from a real Dingo I photographed after it had been running at Bovington Tank museum.

spacer.png

The grenade launcher and its canvas cover are scratch built, the Jerry can is from MiniArt. I used DEF Model weighted wheels which gave me a spare wheel from the kit to mount on the rear deck, the usual position the Inns of Court used.

spacer.png

I scratch built the cylindrical smoke pots the Inns of Court added smoke pots to the front of their vehicles, and also added the handles and mountings to hold a storage box or sand channel.

spacer.png

In Normandy and beyond Dingos often disappeared under all the stowage they carried. I've not done much stowage before as I am interested in the design of AFVs and so want to see the vehicle itself, but for this one I added a full load.

spacer.png

The Bren gun was stored on the floor between the seats when not in use. It took a bit of fiddling but I was able to add it there.

spacer.png

I scratch built the supports at either end of the rifle. There are no instructions on how to paint the radio or the rest of the interior but there are some good photos out there.

spacer.png

I found out after I had finished the interior that the Inns of Court often removed the canvas seats and replaced them with sandbags to provide better protection for the crew against mines. Too late to replace them now, maybe next time.

spacer.png

This is a small vehicle, the finished model is only about 7cm long. For comparison here is my AFC Club Churchill Mk III* also in a summer 1944 scheme.

Edited by Howard M
Hyperlinks to pictures added
  • Like 30

Thanks Peter. I fluffed adding the links to the pictures when posting so had to go back and edit them all, hopefully that was what was causing the slow loading. 

• Like 1

Brilliant build! I have a Dingo Mk Ib that I should post on here sometime. They are fun little vehicles and the MiniArt kit is great. You certainly added a lot of character to it.

• Like 1

Very nice ... small but well detailed and finished 👌 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, evilbobthebob said:

Brilliant build! I have a Dingo Mk Ib that I should post on here sometime. They are fun little vehicles and the MiniArt kit is great. You certainly added a lot of character to it.

Thank you! I think they are great little kits to. I've also done their Mk Ib which I must post here and have just started their Mk III, which I plan to do a build diary for.