1/48 Hobby Boss Su-27 Flanker , complete respray and rescue..

So everyone remember when they got back into this hobby after years away starting familys and careers? My first attempts were disastrous. I got the hang of building, gap filling, and general construction but the painting , Oh Lord what a mess. It took probably a year with practice to get some skills back and like others I was struggling with water-based acrylics as ive only used Enamels. I gave up on this beautiful 1/48 Su27 from Hobby Boss and when it came time for paint I decided to spray it all gray and give it a fictitious squadron with decals cobbled together from the leftover decal stash. 

I decided i couldnt take it anymore and one night several months ago grabbed some liquid courage and started snipping, snapping, cutting away landing gear doors, weapons pylons, antennae and other small bits. I left the landing gear & wheels in place so working around  these areas made it really difficult. Since the twin tails were in place working that infamous Flanker exhaust area was about as difficult as it can be.  I was not going to initially document anything but did decide about midway thru the refit to take pics and im glad i did because im very happy with the way it turned out.  I dont know what squadron this Flanker is from but i used the decals straight from the Hobby Boss Kit. Ive seen very few Internet pics of this exact scheme and absolutely NO actual images of the actual JET in these beautiful markings. I followed the kit instructions for paint exactly as outlined. There are actually three colors not just 2 Blues.  For some reason the Russians only used two areas of gray, small patch on the left tail and small patch on the left side just below the cockpit.  All the rest is the two tone Flanker late blue colors (  I think?). I couldn't believe My Vallejo colors were still workable after 3 years!  The only aftermarket parts were the wonderful ResKit Sukhoi Pylon set for the SU27 Family and a new stencil sheet from someone on EBAY. I decided to not have any weapons so the kit pylons and when i saw how bad the detail was in the kit pylons decided to upgrade.

So here are some in progress pics with the result. It has taken about 3 years and 5 completed kits to get some level of competent shading, weathering & painting together to be brave enough to post it here. 

The beginning, Ugh.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Paint work in process.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Finished !!

spacer.png

Above is the best i could do on the exhaust area :(

spacer.png

spacer.png

Note that the intake warning yellow and red stripes were hand painted, no decals for this were in my stencil sheet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1