Mattp7999's North American Mustang Mk.IV

Hi all, thought I'd put my placeholder down for this GB

I will be building Eduard's P-51D-20 Mustang as an RAF 19 Squadron Mustang Mk.IV in 1945

Here's the obligatory kit photos 🙂

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-1.jpg

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-2.jpg

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-3.jpg

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-4.jpg

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-5.jpg

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-6.jpg

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-7.jpg

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-8.jpg

Couple of parts appear to have come off - especially one of the canopies on the clear sprue wheel.

AM is Look Instrument panel, Brassin Wheels and Exhausts and Xtradecal Decals

Still working on my Beaufighter build in the WW2 Twins Mega Build but can't wait for the off on this one 

Thanks for looking

Many regards Matt

• Like 9

Good morning Matt

Very nice subject .

Have fun with your build ... you have a few days to finish your Beau before the start of this Gb ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1

Ooh that’s some nice AM Matt. Funnily enough that Xtradecals set has much the same schemes as came in my Eduard boxing. Will watch your build with keen interest. 👍

• Like 1

Nice choice Matt. That’s great box art!

Its sometimes easy to forget that 19 squadron flew the Mustang when they’re famous for being the first Spitfire squadron. 

Will follow along. 

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And we're off, having previously built the Tamiya P-51B & P-51D Kits the first thing that hits you is the amount of parts for things which in the Tamiya Kit have minimal parts.. The Pilots seat has 6 parts (7 if you were building it in the VLR Iwo Jima scheme), Tamiya has it in 2 parts..

Have just put the seat together and painted the rear of the cockpit where the fuel tank sits and the cockpit floor. Have glossed the Instrument dials for the Fuel Tank Gauges which were in the floor by the pilots feet. 

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-9.jpg

Looks like its going to be a lot of fun  🙂

Regards Matt

• Like 7

Nice start, Matt! I'm using this boxing as well - what is it with the canopies?

You're slightly ahead of me - I've assembled the seat - so I'll be watching your build very closely for how to do it ;)

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Thanks 1

Nice start Matt. I’ve got started on my Eduard kit this week and like you was surprised at the parts count for the cockpit. Having said that it does build up quite quickly. 

Good start. 

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Nice start, Matt! I'm using this boxing as well - what is it with the canopies?

You're slightly ahead of me - I've assembled the seat - so I'll be watching your build very closely for how to do it ;)

Cheers, 

Mark 

Hi Mark,

It seems to happen loads of times with the Eduard Clear Sprues.. I've had it happen to me before with my Hellcat build and have also noted that my Airacobra kit has a piece off the sprue too.. Not very well packaged despite the amount of plastic inside the box.. but then again I suppose they could all be in 1 bag like Airfix..or in tissue paper like my 'new' Heller Sepecat Jaguar was...

Watch out for the framework for the Radio which sits above the Fuel tank, I got it off the sprue with no issues with the nippers, went to clean it up and the neck of it snapped.. very thin. But thankfully was able to glue it back together.. 

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-10.jpg

Many regards Matt

Edited by Mattp7999
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice start Matt. I’ve got started on my Eduard kit this week and like you was surprised at the parts count for the cockpit. Having said that it does build up quite quickly. 

Good start. 

James

Thanks James, yes you're right it does build up rather fast am trying to pace myself lol. Compared to the Tamiya one lots more part goodness 🙂

Regards Matt

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mattp7999 said:

Watch out for the framework for the Radio which sits above the Fuel tank, I got it off the sprue with no issues with the nippers, went to clean it up and the neck of it snapped.. very thin. But thankfully was able to glue it back together.. 

Thanks for the heads-up, Matt - I'll be wary of that! I've already had the port-side angled seat support snap in half, which wasn't a strong start, but managed to get it back together alright!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mattp7999 said:

the first thing that hits you is the amount of parts

Great start Matt! That was my observation too opening up my boxing too. Glad to hear it builds up easily and quickly enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wings unlevel said:

Great start Matt! That was my observation too opening up my boxing too. Glad to hear it builds up easily and quickly enough.

Thanks Gerard, it would appear that the plastic is basically the same for most of the variants of P-51D that Eduard sell with the tail fillet being separate, and I think it has the Aeroproducts Propeller for the P-51K / Mustang IVa too.. Makes for a very full box 🙂

Regards Matt

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Well thats step A done in the instructions.. went really quick.. haven't yet decided whether or not to put in a pilot or use the photo-etched seatbelts which Eduard put in with the Instrument panel... hmmm.. decisions decisions... 😄

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-11.jpg

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-12.jpg

The detail is really impressive for Injection moulding imho, very fine details and lots of very small parts.. (thankfully I managed to avoid the carpet monster.. phew 🙏)

Thanks for looking and next - onto the fuselage interior.. 

Regards Matt

Edited by Mattp7999
  • Like 8

44 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Looks absolutely great, Matt, looking forward to your next update!

Cheers, 

Mark 

Thanks Mark very much appreciated 🙂

Regards Matt

• Like 1

Well onto the Fuselage - started with the Starboard side first.. The fuselage half as per the cockpit floor etc has quite a few parts compared to other P-51 Mustangs on the Market.

I also checked out a pdf of the Mustang IV Profipack too just to check if any parts on the build were specific to the Mustang IV.. and there were indeed, some difference in the electronic panels so made sure that they were added instead. 

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-13.jpg

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-14.jpg

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-15.jpg

Thanks for looking

Regards Matt

• Like 6

Thanks Mark, it's coming along well. Yet another build that's going way too fast lol... 😀

Regards Matt

• Like 1

On 15/03/2024 at 08:29, Mattp7999 said:

check if any parts on the build were specific to the Mustang IV.. and there were indeed, some difference in the electronic panels

Different radios? Looking great, Matt, you’re motivating me to start on mine!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Different radios? Looking great, Matt, you’re motivating me to start on mine!

Yes I believe it's the radio fit, there's 3 different panels, the usaaf instructions has you mount the compass on the sidewall whilst the raf one is mounted on the floor. There's an iff panel which isn't used on raf aircraft... mad that the US had rear warning systems in late ww2... that's just one sidewall. The detail from Eduard is fantastic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mattp7999 said:

mad that the US had rear warning systems in late ww2... 

and on a fighter - at least ones used in scout roles.   The RAF had them on Mosquitos used to hunt German night fighters. by luring them behind then turning on them.  Serrate missions, I think is the code name.  RAF bombers had warning sensors for German radars but the tail warning radar (Monica) was considered more dangerous as the Germans could home on it.  By the end of the European war RAF bombers were being fritted with gun turrets guided by radar (Village Inn) although I suspect few of these actually saw combat.

The radar war is fascinating: the first and best account is in the history of 100 Group "Confound and Destroy" by Martin Streetly.

The RAF also experimented with AEW: a Wellington with a rotating aerial above the fuselage, to guide night fighters to the V-1 launching Heinkels.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some more updates on this lovely P-51 kit from Eduard 🙂

Other fuselage side completed, not as much to do on this side of the fuselage other than painting and putting the decals on. Not too fiddly and with a liberal amount of Microsol they went down excellently. 

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-16.jpg

Decided to put a pilot in the aircraft, however had exhausted my supply of RAF pilots so painted up this pilot from the P-47 Thunderbolt kit in RAF uniform colours, Inititally I copied the colour schemes which were detailed in Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire Mk.IX, however after looking at him just felt the helmet was too dark.. (I know Type C helmets were produced in a number of varying colours including black) I changed the colour to Brown. 

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-17.jpg

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-18.jpg

And then the fuselage was closed up... and with the Pilot in his seat you can see.. almost nothing lol..

NA-Mustang-Mk-IV-21.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 8