Un pura sangre! Mustang the South American way!

Its a pleasure for me to be supporting Patrice and Gerard with this STGB.

A placeholder for me for a FAU machine. It will be my second attempt at building up a replica of this machine ‘258’, one of the few that operated with unit markings. While the preserved example ‘265’ was so adorned her markings were incorrect, sadly. Equally sadly all decal sets depicting her have replicated those errors. 

I’ll post more soon. For now it will be Tamiya in 1/72 (of course!). 

Martin

• Like 10

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Un pura sangre! Mustang the South American way!

A little more for now ....

The subject of this build is '258' which, as you can see, had a mishap when it was sliced by a taxying T-6. My interest in her was piqued some years ago by the photo that portrayed her with a tail badge, which most of the FAU Mustangs didn't carry. Other than that she is pretty much a standard NMF Mustang with a teardrop antenna housing rather than the stick antenna. I will build "intact" ;).

I previously attempted to build her using the Aztec Decals sheet but that had a pretty rough badge. In addition it is/was set out to provide the modeller with roundels on the upper port and lower starboard wings only, with "FAU" on the opposite sides. This is clearly incorrect (see below). There was a later LF Decals set but, again there were similar errors. So, I had a set drawn and printed by Arctic Decals.

I will again be using the Tamiya 1/72 kit. If all works okay for my current Mustang build (in WIP) I will also use resin exhausts, a Falcon vacform canopy, Armycast flaps, Yahu instrument panel, a Pavla tear drop antenna housing and the previously mentioned Arctic Decals. 

FAU2

Credit: "El F-51D Mustang - un pura sangre del Uruguay" book, which I own.

image (2)

Credit: as above

My reference for FAU Mustangs is this great publication that is sold in Uruguay. I am grateful to @Ignacio for helping me get a copy of this OOP publication. You can see on the cover a perfect example of preserved aircraft anomaly (FAU on the wings). 

image (6)

I will make a start once I get a couple of other builds off of my desk!

Martin

• Like 9

Nice choice Martin. It’ll make a nice change to have a South American Mustang in the GB. You’ll have a nice little collection of Latin American aircraft with this and builds to follow in the South of the Rio Grand GB. 

James 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Looking forward to this one. Your ponies in the inspiration gallery are all lovely and I'm sure this one will be too.

Thanks ME :). Here is my current one:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks ME :). Here is my current one:

Nice (basically a masterclass in how to build Tamiya's 1/72 Mustang!), but not as exciting to me as the colourful markings of Latin America, etc!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Nice (basically a masterclass in how to build Tamiya's 1/72 Mustang!), but not as exciting to me as the colourful markings of Latin America, etc!

She will be colourful, for sure :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Had a chance to make a start Martin? 🤭🤣 (Not that I’m in any place to ask! 🤣)

Hi mate, not yet. I have the current Mustang, the F-84F and an Invader to finish first. I must at least get the F-84F done as she is approaching the deadline ;(

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi mate, not yet. I have the current Mustang, the F-84F and an Invader to finish first. I must at least get the F-84F done as she is approaching the deadline ;(

I know the feeling, but this one will definitely be worth the wait. 👍

• Like 1