FV105 Sultan 1/35

Folks, something different.  I've been after a Sultan for years after spending a few exercises in the back of one when I was in Fallingbostel.  I'm a bit too tight to pay for the Accurate Armour offering (although I now notice it is on special) but I come across Badger 3D from another thread and found they do a 3D printed one in scales from 1/100th for £10 up to 1/24 at £100.  I went with 1/35 for £36.

This is my first experience with a 3D print but I'm reasonable happy.  It hollow so a lot lighter than I expected.  My impression is that it started out as 1/72 and they scale up or down depending.  The resin is hard but fragile so take care with it.

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16987&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16986&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16983&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16984&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16982&authk

There is layer lines which I assume is par for the course but the roof was really rough

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16979&authk

I compared it next to the Border Models Scimitar 2 that I've got on the shelve of doom and the scale seems spot on.

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16978&authk

I must confess to have expected all the supports to have been removed but it didn't take long at all to clean them up with sprue cutters and a craft knife.

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16977&authk

As for detail - some bits are excellent, like the canopy but others....The mirror supports are well over scale and the GPMG is, frankly, terrible.

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16975&authk

This is the roof after some Mister Surfacer  to try and hide the layer lines but I've ended up covering them with anti-slip paste

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16976&authk

Next will be painting once the anti-slip has dried.

Overall I'm happy with it for the price.  Is it 100% accurate - no, but it also isn't costing me an arm and a leg to have a vehicle I've been wanting for a while.  Check out their website - they do loads of uncommon British armour pieces like the Terrier, Trojan, Warrior FV513, CET, most of the CVR(T) family and the Flying Pig at prices that won't break the bank.  I'm liking the look of their new Saracen but the version worth getting would be the interior kit which is £65.

My plan is to do it IRR green and black.  I've got some left over decals from a CVR(T) somewhere.  I'm also considering whether to cut off the rubies and replace them with drops of clear resin .  Maybe drill out the headlight as well.  I might try and replace the rear-view mirrors as well.........decisions decisions.

It could do with a couple of 12m masts strapped to the outside.  Anyone know of where I can get some?

Bill

• Like 11

Nice one I have seen these,is there any building to be done or is it all cast?
For gods sake anyone dont  get these mixed up with Dragon Badger and order from him😳

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

For gods sake anyone dont  get these mixed up with Dragon Badger and order from him😳

Indeed that would be awful..

nice looking Sultan for me I still struggle that you have the print lines if and that particular bit irritates me..tempted but still holding off on getting something from them ..

1 hour ago, ivan-o said:

It was all as one piece except for the cupola which is surprising considering the amount of detail.  Joy of 3D printing I suppose.

Bill

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, viper-30 said:

Indeed that would be awful..

nice looking Sultan for me I still struggle that you have the print lines if and that particular bit irritates me..tempted but still holding off on getting something from them ..

I'm hoping the Mr Surfacer and the anti-slip conceals them, but we'll see and I'll add more coats if needed.

Bill 

• Like 1

I got some PU12 and PU8 masts from Accurate Armour for my 436 build, I think I paid a fiver for 3 of them 

which isn't bad. To be honest they are not the hardest thing to scratch build especially if you are having the dust covers on the 

mast tops. 

Looking at the Sultan, the Clansman antenna bases (BAE) look a tad small, you might want to replace them? 

Edit:- 

I did scratch build them 

P1080663

P1080665

P1080666

Yours truly showing the Masts and BAE's, its PU8 mast with a PU12 cover on as the Pineapple is already mounted to the mast head, only needs the whips and coax fitting 

for a super quick deployment 🙂 

09EA90

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Big_Bad_Bill said:

Folks, something different.  I've been after a Sultan for years after spending a few exercises in the back of one when I was in Fallingbostel.  I'm a bit too tight to pay for the Accurate Armour offering (although I now notice it is on special) but I come across Badger 3D from another thread and found they do a 3D printed one in scales from 1/100th for £10 up to 1/24 at £100.  I went with 1/35 for £36.

This is my first experience with a 3D print but I'm reasonable happy.  It hollow so a lot lighter than I expected.  My impression is that it started out as 1/72 and they scale up or down depending.  The resin is hard but fragile so take care with it.

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16987&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16986&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16983&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16984&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16982&authk

There is layer lines which I assume is par for the course but the roof was really rough

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16979&authk

I compared it next to the Border Models Scimitar 2 that I've got on the shelve of doom and the scale seems spot on.

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16978&authk

I must confess to have expected all the supports to have been removed but it didn't take long at all to clean them up with sprue cutters and a craft knife.

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16977&authk

As for detail - some bits are excellent, like the canopy but others....The mirror supports are well over scale and the GPMG is, frankly, terrible.

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16975&authk

This is the roof after some Mister Surfacer  to try and hide the layer lines but I've ended up covering them with anti-slip paste

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16976&authk

Next will be painting once the anti-slip has dried.

Overall I'm happy with it for the price.  Is it 100% accurate - no, but it also isn't costing me an arm and a leg to have a vehicle I've been wanting for a while.  Check out their website - they do loads of uncommon British armour pieces like the Terrier, Trojan, Warrior FV513, CET, most of the CVR(T) family and the Flying Pig at prices that won't break the bank.  I'm liking the look of their new Saracen but the version worth getting would be the interior kit which is £65.

My plan is to do it IRR green and black.  I've got some left over decals from a CVR(T) somewhere.  I'm also considering whether to cut off the rubies and replace them with drops of clear resin .  Maybe drill out the headlight as well.  I might try and replace the rear-view mirrors as well.........decisions decisions.

It could do with a couple of 12m masts strapped to the outside.  Anyone know of where I can get some?

Bill

If only they had taken the time to get the axle spacing rite and more attention to detail it would be more like a proper model but ok for £36 "you pays your money and takes your choice".

As long as you enjoy it Bill that's all that matters.

Pete

Taking Dads suggestion I've replaced the clansman antenna bases with two left over from my 432 build and drilled out/cut off the lights/rubies and replaced with clear resin.

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16990&authk

The Mister surfacer and the the anti-slip appears to have worked

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16992&authk

I black shaded and cracked on with the green

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16998&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16997&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16994&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16996&authk

It doesn't look like a washboard any more

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16995&authk

Next will be the IRR Black, the tracks, and wheel rims.  

Accurate Armour don't appear to do the 12m masts anymore so it will depend on whether I can be bothered to scratch them or not.

Can anyone remember the colour of the large fire extinguisher on the back?  I keep thinking it was cream but the only pictures I can find are green or red.

Bill

• Like 9

Looking good, and watching with interest, 3d printing certainly does open up a lot of possibilities and kits that otherwise you may not be able to get, and I am sure the detail will continue to improve as the technology improves. I must admit I am quite tempted with a Humber pig or flying pig, 🙂 as something a bit different,    

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Forest Bob said:

Looking good, and watching with interest, 3d printing certainly does open up a lot of possibilities and kits that otherwise you may not be able to get, and I am sure the detail will continue to improve as the technology improves. I must admit I am quite tempted with a Humber pig or flying pig, 🙂 as something a bit different,    

Thanks. I'm liking the look of their Saracen - if they did a Stalwart I'd be very tempted.  

Hmmm.  I could be tempted to one of these as I occasionally commanded a Sultan for a while back in the mid-90's.  I also balk at the AA one plus a set of other tracks to replace their dreadful resin strips.  But I am concerned about the amount of moulded-on detail though, especially as this one has features my ex-RAF Regt one didn't have.  Pity he cast a WW2 US-pattern fuel jerrycan on the rear door rack instead of a British post-war plastic water one.  Hard to correct.

• Like 1

Good spot. I had noticed that. The problem is I'm finding it doesn't cut cleanly and tends the shatter so I doubt I'll be able to remove it without trashing the door. I was contemplating painting it like a modern yank water carrier and pretending the crew blagged it.

7 minutes ago, Big_Bad_Bill said:

Good spot. I had noticed that. The problem is I'm finding it doesn't cut cleanly and tends the shatter so I doubt I'll be able to remove it without trashing the door. I was contemplating painting it like a modern yank water carrier and pretending the crew blagged it.

You might be able to grind it off with a Dremel type tool Bill but it might be more bother than it’s worth. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

You might be able to grind it off with a Dremel type tool Bill but it might be more bother than it’s worth. 

Good shout.  I shall ponder further. I'll have to wear a mask as apparently the particles are toxic.

I’ve got a funny feeling that the large extinguisher is part of a NBC decontamination kit kit that was withdrawn from service back in the late 80’s.

I’ve only seen them on the early Challenger 1’s on the back of the turret, the mount was later used for the grease gun. 

They were water extinguishers in case the pavillion goes up, which then wouldn't make sense them being cream because that is foam. Maybe I miss remembered and it was red. It stuck with me because it stood out like a sore thumb.

That decontamination device - and yes it was based on an old water fire extinguisher - was still around in the mid 90s. I certainly remember seeing stillages of them at Marne Barracks, probably in 94. But they were in outside storage so might have been awaiting disposal.

My "little tank" didn't have the side or top bins and didn't mount the penthouse, so it sounds like this one isn't for me.

Tonight's update:

IRR black on body and tires/tracks.  Gloss coat applied and still drying as I was taking pictures.

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!17002&authk

I've also tinted the rubies

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!17000&authk

A bit of snagging required on the wheels

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!16999&authk

I compared the jerry can to a British one left over from my many Warriors.  It is comically under scale (same for the D10 reel) so I'm worried about what else I'd have to move to make it fit.

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!17001&authk

When I get a chance, next will be the snagging and painting the details.

Bill

• Like 6

Maybe.  It'll probably be more forgiving than with a Dremel but I'm still not confident enough that I won't trash the door trying to get the replacement to fit. I used a sprue cutter to remove the antenna bases  and I found they shattered and didn't cut cleanly.  The resin is hard but brittle.

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure the detail around the items are too close, and they’ll be damaged while trying to remove the items. 

If I was going to attempt it, I’d try going real slow with a chisel edged blade. 
Shave it down a little at a time. 

Just my 2 cents worth. 

I had a frustrating day with staff officers so I went in with the Dremel. 

Bugger. 

Once the dust started I was so focused on the jerrycan I missed the collateral damage. 

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!17003&authk

So out come the miliput to try and repair the damage.

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!17015&authk

Once it had dried I'll try and shape it.

I've also painted some of the details and a pin wash

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!17013&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!17014&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!17012&authk

Next will be clean up on the pin wash, decals, some chipping, dry brushing and trying to save the fire extinguisher and the light cluster.

Bill

• Like 8

A small update for today.  I've done loads of small things but the damage on the back required more miliput.

Dry brushed the canopy/penthouse and the tracks, applied decals, and done some chipping.  Oh and painted the shackles which I keep forgetting.  I've gotten rid of the GPMG.  I don't have a spare, it looked terrible and someone pointed out the ammo can was on the wrong side.

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!17016&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!17017&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!17019&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!17018&authk

embed?resid=D744FFA8EE3BAA3F!17020&authk

And I've just noticed that the strap for the jerrycan has gone for a burton and will need replacing.  Next will be finishing the damage repair, re-do the green tint on the sights/window, matt coat and some weathering. 

Bill

• Like 5