Any 1:72-1:76 British 1970s-80s soft skin vehicle kits currently available?

bootneck

I am planning a diorama that requires British army softskin vehicles of the 1970-80s period to either 1:72 or 1:76 scale.  I have done online searches and apart from a Land Rover, in the Airfix Bloodhound set, there doesn't appear to be much out there.  Can anyone here advise me of where I could find any currently available please?  I don't want to go trawling the online auction site for stuff.

cheers,
Mike

Unless Airfix are going to re release the JB models then no, there are resin kits, Matador models, BW Models (but I don’t know who owns the moulds now) or 3D printed, there are a few companies that offer in both 1/72 and 1/76.

You do see the Airfix ex-JB kits 2nd hand from time to time.  There was a Stalwart from a brand I can't remember but Ace do one too, along with Saracen, Saladin and Salamander.

Have you thought about Oxford Diecast?   They look as if they could be detailed up.  They do Bedford RLs, but strangely not MKs.  There is a TK with a genset body and various CA minibuses.  Also Sherpa van/bus, many Land Rovers, Minis, Morris J2, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right, ACE has the Stalvart, Saracen, Salamander and Saladin, not easy ro build.

Resin kits are from Road Transport Images:

https://www.roadtransportimages.com/my-account

Some of the BW Models are unofficial copies in resin by MilMod.

You can find some kits here, but they are really expensive.

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/en/?action=uas&form_publisher=3707

modelldoc

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kingsman said:

You do see the Airfix ex-JB kits 2nd hand from time to time.  There was a Stalwart from a brand I can't remember but Ace do one too, along with Saracen, Saladin and Salamander.

Have you thought about Oxford Diecast?   They look as if they could be detailed up.  They do Bedford RLs, but strangely not MKs.  There is a TK with a genset body and various CA minibuses.  Also Sherpa van/bus, many Land Rovers, Minis, Morris J2, 

I did considere Oxford Diecast but they do look toy-like.  I might revisit their site from a different viewpoint after your comments.

12 hours ago, modelldoc said:

Right, ACE has the Stalvart, Saracen, Salamander and Saladin, not easy ro build.

Resin kits are from Road Transport Images:

https://www.roadtransportimages.com/my-account

Some of the BW Models are unofficial copies in resin by MilMod.

You can find some kits here, but they are really expensive.

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/en/?action=uas&form_publisher=3707

modelldoc

Thanks, I shall have a looksee at those Road transport images models.

11 hours ago, Richard E said:

Would any of these help Mike: Friendship Models - they look like a reincarnation of the old Continental Model Supply Company (CMSC) then Kingfisher Models ranges.

I could only find a pair of Drops lorries in 1:72/1:76 scale at they were too expensive for me.  Their wargaming models were nearer to my budget but those were only WW2 items.

Thanks all for your contributions, I shall spend a little time looking through their sites again.

cheers,
Mike

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

I did considere Oxford Diecast but they do look toy-like.

I’m afraid I’ve resorted to stripping models back to bare metal for a model railway layout. The fine detail in the castings is often lost under the factory paint.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I’m afraid I’ve resorted to stripping models back to bare metal for a model railway layout. The fine detail in the castings is often lost under the factory paint.

I found this little Dinky in the loft and it appears to be around 1:72 scale.  Can anyone advise me what the scale actually is please?

spacer.png

spacer.png

cheers,
Mike

23 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I found this little Dinky in the loft and it appears to be around 1:72 scale.  Can anyone advise me what the scale actually is please?

spacer.png

spacer.png

cheers,
Mike

i was only asked if a made one last weds for someone gaming the falklands, i sad not yet!  just working on some more cold war softskins m1070 & m1070f, commander & antar mk3.

12 minutes ago, modelldoc said:

It is a Matchbox kit.

The Matchbox Snow Trac was 1:64,

modelldoc

mmm, quite a difference.  Perhaps I'll use it to measure up for a scratchbuild, now that I know the scale.

cheers,
Mike