Hi from Devon

chrisDevon

Hi all,

Chris here from (not so) sunny Devon! I wont lie, its been a "while" since I last built a model... not for want of trying but that inconvenient thing called Life got in the way! Last year I bought myself an Airfix starter kit (Hurricane Mk1) to blow the dust off. The build itself went well, it was all going fine, and before long had a nicely undercoated aircraft ready for some paint! That's where it all went wrong. The colours from the kit look "fake" and after speaking to my local model shop i got some others that look extremely dark. So one of my first jobs on this site will be trawling through looking for tips on what the Correct colours should be!! 🙂

I have an interest in 3D modelling and have several projects on my computer with a view to finishing them at some point in the next 30 years(!) to have them 3D printed. At the moment i have a 95% complete LCM Mk 9 Landing Craft, the wing of a Lancaster and the basic hull of HMS Fearless/Intrepid. Im afraid updates on these will be VERY far and few between :) 

Thanks guys, look forward to sharing ideas

Chris

• Like 3

Chris, welcome to the madness. don't worry about how long your builds take, or how often you post.

We do what we can and enjoy most of it. In the meantime there's heaps of knowledge here.

If a search doesn't turn up what you want to know, Don't be afraid to ask.

4 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Chris, welcome to the madness. don't worry about how long your builds take, or how often you post.

We do what we can and enjoy most of it. In the meantime there's heaps of knowledge here.

If a search doesn't turn up what you want to know, Don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks Pete, much appreciated!

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum.  It sounds as if you will be at home here. :smile:

I am one of the slowest kit builders on the planet,  I start something with full enthusiasm then I see someone else's build, of something different, and think "I want to do that instead!" and off I go on a tangent. 

cheers,
Mike

2 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum.  It sounds as if you will be at home here. :smile:

I am one of the slowest kit builders on the planet,  I start something with full enthusiasm then I see someone else's build, of something different, and think "I want to do that instead!" and off I go on a tangent. 

cheers,
Mike

Thanks Mike,

I go off on so many tangents im basically spinning! ONE day I will get something finished to my satisfaction... im a bu**er for never thinking something is "good enough" and starting again ha ha

• Haha 1

Gidday Chris, welcome aboard. AFAIK (as far as I know) there's no official time limit on builds but I think it's generally accepted that it's best to complete them within one life-time. 😁 I'm into Airfix 1/600 scale ships myself but I've never done the HMS Fearless kit, I'm more into WW2. I'll be interested in your build of her though.

Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff, I did make that kit many years ago now - must be at least 20 years now. it turned out "alright" :) my current model of her is computer based - only the basic hull shape done but the idea is there... ill chuck a few photos on on my projects soon

• Like 1

:welcome: aboard Chris.  Devon's a nice part of the world when the sun shines or the snow falls.  No where's that nice in the damp, cool conditions we call a winter these days ;)

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

:welcome: aboard Chris.  Devon's a nice part of the world when the sun shines or the snow falls.  No where's that nice in the damp, cool conditions we call a winter these days ;)

Hi Mike, thanks for the welcome

ha, very true - not exactly speedo's weather out there at the moment is it?! Any snow up in Chester yet?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, chrisDevon said:

ha, very true - not exactly speedo's weather out there at the moment is it?! Any snow up in Chester yet?

We had about 17 flakes this morning, but it was so wet that it made quite a noise if you stood outdoors.  Real sludgy stuff.  It didn't stick around long, but even when it was closing on 40c here, it's never Speedos weather casa me.  I'm not that cruel :puke:

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello chris … :post1:  from the city of Chicago USA. I’m mostly a military aircraft builder but do other types for a change of pace. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Thanks very much

• Like 1