Macchi C.202: a minor structural mystery

MDriskill

These photos have appeared in several published references...with no comment on the rather large difference between them. 

The C.202 fuselage had 19 vertical frames, numbered in factory drawings from 0 (firewall) to 18 (tail cone attachment). The page below is from Maurizio di Terlizzi's excellent Valiant book on the C.202. The lower photo has the three normal upper openings, for: gun bay (A, frames 0 to 4); cockpit (B, frames 4 to 7); and radio access cover (C, frames 12 and 13).  

But the upper shot has another large opening between frames 7 and 10, with doubled-up vertical reinforcing on the sides, at frames 8 and 9! A change during production? Was a 2-seat trainer being planned? Other ideas?

IMG-4371.jpg

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1

• MDriskill changed the title to Macchi C.202: a minor structural mystery

Hard to see it as anything else: presumably someone at the factory playing with proof-of-concept to see how it could be done. 

There was some chatter about a two-seat version of the predecessor MC.200 but AFAIK it never came to anything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MDriskill said:

Was a 2-seat trainer being planned?

It's also a similar size to the front seat opening, which makes it quite likely.  Back then, I think a lot more off-the-cuff changes and installations were tried, with variable documentation, than with modern by-the-numbers aviation engineering, where everything is calculated and tested virtually before they even cut rib one.

• Like 2

Very interesting, never noticed that picture before., even if I have it in a book...

None of the books I have mentions plans for a two-seater. I have the "nomenclatore" for the 202 and the drawings all show the configuration seen in the lower picture.

The prototype had a longer glazed area but pictures show how this covered structural elements, so not an empty section as in the picture posted above... guess some more research is needed here

• Like 1

Just an ignorant left-field thought, but do we know for certain from the evidence within the photo itself that it IS a 202 fuselage structure?  That is, could it be some derivative/family member, perhaps going off in some experimental direction?

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 5:09 PM, MDriskill said:

But the upper shot has another large opening between frames 7 and 10, with doubled-up reinforcing at frames 8 and 9! A change during production? Was a 2-seat trainer being planned? Other ideas?

Comparing the two images, I'd say there are two additional frames between frame 7 and frame 8. The logical consequence would be that the top image shows the structure of a two-seater of some kind.

• Like 1

In fact this is the only known picture of a possible pizza Owen equipped MC 202! A Napolita for me please! In all Humor, cheers!😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Zigomar said:

In fact this is the only known picture of a possible pizza Owen equipped MC 202! A Napolita for me please! In all Humor, cheers!😂

Of course... cold pizza is an awful thing, you really need fast delivery.

Edited by ClaudioN
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zigomar said:

Mais seulement si le four est au feu de bois.Toute autre chose est pas acceptable.🙂

Saluti

Giampiero

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

That is, could it be some derivative/family member, perhaps going off in some experimental direction?

not sure I under stand the question: by definition, a two-seater would be a "derivative or family member" of the 200/202/205 family, and we can be sure this was experimental since no such production aircraft, or even complete airframe, has ever been noted

Edited by Work In Progress

1 hour ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Mais seulement si le four est au feu de bois.Toute autre chose est pas acceptable.🙂

Now I get why the experimental project was discontinued... the firewood storage compartment moved the aircraft C.G. unacceptably aft.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/02/2024 at 17:47, Graham Boak said:

Why would that need double frames?  or a space at the top?

The Macchi MC205N Orione was much longer at the front and the rear because of the four machine guns installed in the fuselage.The MC205N-2 had the two machine guns on the sides moved into the wings.

Saluti

Giampiero

Macchi-MC-205-N.jpg

Macchi-MC205-N.jpg

Macchi-MC205-N.jpg

• Like 5