Here's my first entry. Something I've wanted to do for many years, is build a half decent kit of one of the Shepherds Grove Thunderstreaks. A base which is quite close geographically to me & the nearest base that had Thunderstreaks so it has to be this historically popular subject, 52-6675 of the 78th FBS 81st FBW.

So this is it, the Microscale sheet which I really hope has survived & doesn't disintigrate into a million specs when I get to apply it.

53493320425_b4c05157c8_b.jpg

I've got a collection of Sword kits but will be starting off with the fantastic new Special Hobby kit.

53493328180_a1051e2baf_b.jpg

• Like 6

I'm using this same set of Microscale decals, they look great, but do they have a reputation for disintegrating?

10 minutes ago, danbuoy said:

I'm using this same set of Microscale decals, they look great, but do they have a reputation for disintegrating?

I have used their F-5 aggressors sheet & it wasn't a happy experience so I think I will be using some microscale liquid decal film on them first then hope for the best.

• Like 1

Martin,

Welcome to the GB, good to see some USAFE Streaks too.

Good luck with your build.

• Like 1

Made a start.

A relief to know that a kit can go together nice & easy. Some sub assemblies stuck together & primed.

I am building two of these together so pics will likely show the build stages in pairs.

Simples...unlike my other attempts airfix/Italeri/frankenstein kit bashes which came to nothing!

53493341852_0b958a82ee_b.jpg

• Like 3

Painted up everything that requires the zinc chromate green in preperation to putting together the main subassemblies. All dry brushed with aluminium.

53497121147_3c6fc7f3e0_b.jpg

And something else that needs priming that got in the way!

53498282304_444f75dcb3_b.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's some progress with this other Special Hobby kit. So, since I'm using the Microscale decals for this kit, obviously I'm having to make some changes as the decals are designed for the Italeri kit. This means that the nose & wing markings are too large to fit the kit. I think it was slightly too overscale in comparison with the more accurate Airfix kit.

The red nose sash was masked using Tamiya flexible masking strip & i've ordered some black pin stripe decals from Fantasy Printshop which will provide the black line bordering. Every red marking on this aircraft (most of the 78th) had black bordering. I might even mask up the red fuselage stripes & the tail markings. I'll just see how it goes.

53623819636_48bb3a4fe7_b.jpg

I'm likely to do the same when I go back to painting the Sword kit which will be one of the Blue Streaks of the 91st. I've already sorted out the blue paint, but there's the tricky part of masking for the yellow edging as well.

• Like 3

Finished with the decals on the "20th" Wethersfield jet & now onto this one. Succesfully applied one of the Microscale decals. I now know that i'll have to liberally apply liquid decal film to the sheet now as I know the rest of them will be a nightmare.

53646336050_6f3c3329ff_b.jpg

Started using the black pinstripes from Fantasy Printshop & added the OD nose.

53646091903_d22c595709_b.jpg

• Like 6

Just a little more progress today before I left for work.

Applied a few of the Special Hobby stencils. The Stars & Bars are from the Xtradecal sheet & the tail markings from the Microscale sheet had been coated in liquid decal film. They went on well, but I have to be careful with anything too strong decal setting wise or the setter will react with the silver paint. Always a pain when you get that milky ghosting effect. That'l learn me for not applying a clear gloss before applying decals!

53649799976_d6d4b218b3_b.jpg

• Like 3

Just a few pics now I'm back home from work. Made a little bit of progress this morning.

So the design of the SH tail planes has two stubs that line up with a hole & an indentation on the tail fin. I thought I'd redsign the fitting, cut off the forward stub & drill a hole for some brass rod. This will make for a stronger fitting & will go straight through the wing into the other tailplane. Better than a potentially messy butt fitting. 🙈

53659471735_b230073c14_b.jpg

Drilled through the forward indent.

53659233293_610bf76d33_b.jpg

Starboard side fitted..

53659477670_554fc58319_b.jpg

That's done, now to do the same to the 20th (Wethersfield airframe) & will likely do the same to the Sword kit, when I get round to it.

53659233983_f072c3e486_b.jpg

The other thing is I had a temporary aaarrrgh moment, when the front wheel mounting snapped off. It is really well moulded on the kit but it is very flexible due to the nature of the plastic & I don't think it would have lasted being transited around shows. So I would have drilled & pinned it but there's barely any plastic to drill through. I never throw away used etch metal frames & I just cut a couple of strips of brass & attached both sides where the break is & used some thick CA. Fixed & seems slightly stronger than before.

53659365989_08d562e36d_b.jpg

Now all the decals are on; Special Hobby stencils, Microscale main markings, Extradecal stars & bars from sheet 72-112 & black pin stripe to border the red painted areas from Fantasy Printshop. Next will be a gloss coat to seal everything in & then a panel line wash.

53659366379_c24fe2623e_b.jpg

Jobs left to do;

Decals for the tanks & wing pylons, paint the wheels & almost there. Attach all the sticky outy bits like canopy, gear doors, pitot etc then all that to the other SH kit on the go.

• Like 5

How did you find the Microscale decals? Mine's getting very close to decal stage. I'm going to read up about liquid decal film, as I've never used it before.   

Also noticed you've painted the tips of the horizontal stabilisers. Did they all have this, as I've found pictures with and without?

Edited by danbuoy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, danbuoy said:

How did you find the Microscale decals? Mine's getting very close to decal stage. I'm going to read up about liquid decal film, as I've never used it before.   

Also noticed you've painted the tips of the horizontal stabilisers. Did they all have this, as I've found pictures with and without?

Tried them without the liquid decal film & they're really sketchy, but worked fine after a couple of coats with a wide flat brush onto the decal sheet. I think it is a must with these old Microscale sheets.

I've seen pics with & without, but just copying what would have been provided on the decal sheet. In fact I haven't found any actual photos of 675 to reference it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Tried them without the liquid decal film & they're really sketchy, but worked fine after a couple of coats with a wide flat brush onto the decal sheet. I think it is a must with these old Microscale sheets.

I've seen pics with & without, but just copying what would have been provided on the decal sheet. In fact I haven't found any actual photos of 675 to reference it.

Thanks, think I'll paint the tips of the horizontal stabilisers on mine, as it does look better. I'll get some decal film ordered too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nice work Martin, very colourful.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, will hopefully be finishing the 81st Blue Streak airframe as well which will be just as colourful. 

• Like 1

Almost done..

Panel line wash has been cleaned up on this one. Left it quite subtle & thankfully worked out how I want it. Now I've just got to decide on which gloss coat to apply to it.

53670124365_c73b1ccd30_b.jpg

53668800847_18ae313053_b.jpg

All the sticky outy bits are gathered together waiting to be stuck on. Oh & mustn't forget the JATO pack!

53670124360_dcdb1bc884_b.jpg

Looks like I might actually get something completed for the end of this group build.

• Like 5

Tada!!!! I'm calling two of these builds done at last! The Sword kit will have to wait for another time (along with the PJ kit).

Special Hobby 1/72 Republic F-84F Thunderstreak 52-6675 81st FBW - 78th FBS Shepherds Grove 1958

With this 78th Shepherds Grover I used the following..

Microscale sheet 72-330 tail markings & waist sashes. Masked & painted the nose & wing tips.

Fantasy printshop FP525 Black pinstripes - 0.25mm

Xtradecal 1/72 72-112 USAF Stars & Bars.

And the kit decals - what a load of poop they are! Ended up having to completely lift the red upper wing markings & airbrushing them on. Lifted a few bits of decal in the process which was then touched up. Don't look too closely!

Paint;

Ammo MiG A-Stand Aluminium laquer A.MIG-2300.

Vallejo Model Air Red

Ammo Mig acrylic zinc chromate green & olive drab for the nose.

A few pics...

53676885809_226f6f3eb6_b.jpg

53676984920_a1c05e8819_b.jpg

53675654192_005422d41d_b.jpg

53676885814_7dd2e74d56_b.jpg

53676984955_53a8a5a60d_b.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

Martin

• Like 3