F-4 Phantom FGR.2

Starting from the assumption that if the most extensive reinforcement modifications had already been carried out in 1982, then these modifications must also have been present in 1992, the year of the model I am building, I carried out the following modifications: I removed the incorrect proposed "reinforcements" from the kit

fgr071_orig.jpg

and with a sheet of acetate, the thinnest material I have, I proceeded to shape the various plates by overlapping them. This is the result:

fgr073_orig.jpg

The rivets are those by Archer.

Even though it was an area that was not fully illuminated when the model was finished, I couldn't bear the idea of leaving out the kit error.

Bye

Edited by Bruno P
  • Like 11

Even on the tail planes there are reinforcement plates, very different from the more usual arrow-shaped ones, and riveting:

fgr074_orig.jpg

• Like 13

Posted (edited)

The Airfix kit offers a very simplistic, and incorrect, solution regarding the mobile front canopy: a tab to glue on the inside of the fixed canopy frame:

fgr075_orig.jpg

On the latter, recesses have been created to accommodate the pins added to the opening canopy:

fgr076_orig.jpg

fgr077_orig.jpg

All the canopy pieces, except the fixed front one, were painted both externally and internally with the same color already used in some cockpit areas (Tamiya XF-69 NATO Black). A hole has been created on the fixed frame to allow the TESS telescope mounting. The photoetched parts by Eduard 73758 set, dedicated to the Fine Molds kit, were placed on the sides of the two cockpits and on the edges of the fixed frame; these parts are absent in the set dedicated to the Airfix Kit (therefore double purchase!!!!). The black areas were repainted in XF-69 and drybrushed (in light gray and Dark Steel Vallejo to highlight the bumps and wear):

fgr078_orig.jpg

fgr079_orig.jpg

Some paneling and riveting that would otherwise be absent have been traced on the fuselage:

fgr080_orig.jpg

fgr081_orig.jpg

Edited by Bruno P
  • Like 12

The final details such as stabiliser feel system pressure head and the Pitot tube are added:

fgr082_orig.jpg

wing tanks vent jettison made with suitably folded photo-engraving waste

fgr083_orig.jpg

a detail of the attachment of the landing hook, the exit guide of the parachute and, above it but not clearly visible (I'm sorry), the rear position light (clear is still missing):

fgr084_orig.jpg

• Like 12

I forgot....the grills placed immediately above the engine exhausts: unlike the US Phantoms there are five instead of four and they all have the same dimensions. The waste photoetched pieces, coming from a set for a MiG-29, were only glued on the model:

fgr085_orig.jpg

• Like 13

The main carriage doors do not have any details on the internal side but only the signs of extraction from the molds and a support for fixing the leg:

fgr086_orig.jpg

Here too, a detailed intervention was therefore necessary:

fgr087_orig.jpg

• Like 12

The legs of the main landing gear supplied by the kit are decidedly coarse and have several, very bizarre notches, designed to accommodate the ends of the retraction jacks, the shock absorber compass and the upper hatch.

I then worked on the landing gear legs, filling these gaps and thinning the end part that houses the wheel: from more than a millimeter I reduced it to a thickness of 0.2 mm. Furthermore, on the head I eliminated the rotation mechanism because it was already present in the resin compartment of the Aires set already fixed to the model and I added a plastirod coupling suitable for meeting this compartment and then fixing it firmly. Normally I complete legs and doors separately and then join them in the final assembly but with the changes I made I ran the risk of having an assembly that was too weak to support the weight of the model. I then attached the landing gear legs to the main hatches which strengthen them adequately. Photoetched parts come from the Eduard 73658 and 73758 sets, the first dedicated to the undercarriage compartments of the FGR.2 Airfix, the second to the Fine Molds kit. Both are missing the re-entry levers for the smaller hatches, those located in the highest part, but they are supplied in the Aires 7083 set: it's a real puzzle!!! I will also use the retraction jacks from this set.

fgr088_orig.jpg

fgr089_orig.jpg

• Like 17

The front landing gear with the relevant doors is also supplied by the kit in a bizarre way to say the least. The anti-torsion compass is a separate piece and joins the leg precisely where a perfect connection must be made to obtain impeccable chrome plating. The part representing the hydraulic servocontrols is completely missing on the leg; on it there are also recesses suitable for receiving the opening-closing jack and the front door. This and the larger side one are supplied in transparent. I feel like I've gone back to the Airfixes I built at a very young age.

fgr090_orig.jpg

So room for patching and self-construction. The photoetches are Eduard set 73658 and 73758, the wheels are from the Armory 330 set and the 1mm landing light is from an AK set while the feedback jack is from the Aires 7083 set.

fgr091_orig.jpg

fgr092_orig.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Galligraphics said:

Amazing - I keep having to remind myself that this is 1/72 scale… :gobsmacked:

Same here...

Ciao

• Like 2

The Reskit engine exhausts are painted and set aside; they will be mounted only at the end:

fgr093_orig.jpg

And the painting of the model begins. A light preshading is applied on the lower surfaces with medium gray on the panel lines, brown in the engine area and white to highlight the parts in relief:

fgr095_orig.jpg

The underside is painted Light Aircraft Gray BS627 (MRP-374) with light coats so the preshading shows through:

fgr096_orig.jpg

fgr097_orig.jpg

fgr098_orig.jpg

fgr099_orig.jpg

• Like 18

The camouflage of the upper surfaces starts from the internal areas of the wings which are in Medium Sea Gray (MRP-112) but not before having carried out a pre-shading in Dark Grey:

fgr100_orig.jpg

fgr101_orig.jpg

fgr102_orig.jpg

Then the fuselage and the external areas of the wings in Camouflage Gray (MRP-373) after pre-shading in Neutral Grey:

fgr103_orig.jpg

fgr104_orig.jpg

Here is the fully painted model, including the coat of glossy varnish (Mr. Color GX100 appropriately thinned 3:1). The difference between the various grays is minimal, like on real aircraft. The areas near the engine exhausts are in various shades of Alclad metallics with glazes in Hot Metal Violet and Hot Metal Sepia; the tail is in White:

fgr105_orig.jpg

fgr106_orig.jpg

fgr107_orig.jpg

fgr108_orig.jpg

fgr109_orig.jpg

fgr110_orig.jpg

fgr111_orig.jpg

The model is ready for applying decals and there are about 250 of them, including stencils obviously!!!!!!!!

• Like 17

Great work on the paint @Bruno P 

I'm a little disappointed that it will only be in grey scheme rather than the grey/green cammo but it's your model and it is looking great and will look even better when done.

Pete

Just now, PeteH1969 said:

Great work on the paint @Bruno P 

I'm a little disappointed that it will only be in grey scheme rather than the grey/green cammo but it's your model and it is looking great and will look even better when done.

Pete

Thanks so much Pete!!

I think that in the three shades of gray the Phantom has an incredible charm. And the white drift is the master's touch!!

I would like to know who created it....

• Like 2

About 250 decals!!!!! I bordered on madness also because since the vast majority of the decals were white, the very light blue background of the support made them barely visible only when they were wet and finally visible when applied to the model. I mistakenly cut only one which I had to throw away (quiz with prizes for whoever finds out which one!). The coat of glossy clear was also applied:

fgr112_orig.jpg

fgr114_orig.jpg

fgr115_orig.jpg

fgr117_orig.jpg

fgr120_orig.jpg

fgr121_orig.jpg

fgr122_orig.jpg

fgr124_orig.jpg

Next step is wheaternig on gloss surfaces.

• Like 18

Hello Bruno

Many thanks for sharing your stunning job !

Unfortunately, I can't see the pictures of the first page of this thread...

Am I alone in this case or do other members of the community have the same problem with them ?

Many thanks for your reply !

Nicolas

• Like 1

On 22/03/2024 at 08:47, nicolasd520 said:

Hello Bruno

Many thanks for sharing your stunning job !

Unfortunately, I can't see the pictures of the first page of this thread...

Am I alone in this case or do other members of the community have the same problem with them ?

Many thanks for your reply !

Nicolas

THANKS for the evidence!!! I didn't notice.... Everything should be fine now!