Buccaneer XW537 wrap around camouflage

Hello fellow BM people - my internet search for pictures of the title aircraft threw up an image which appears to be wrap around DG/DSG, captioned as July 1978. I didn't realise the RAF tactical wrap around scheme appeared that early, can anyone enlighten me please?

Ed

• Like 1

I can only agree that the DG/DSG started a lot sooner than you’d expect. Here’s a photo from my private collection. Hopes this helps.   😉

spacer.png

• Like 2

The policy decision to introduce the 'wrap around' scheme on Offensive Support Aircraft, Harrier and Jaguar was made in January 1975. It was promulgated to the Service as part of DCI (RAF) S68/75 dated 23 April 1975.

Extension of this scheme to the Buccaneer was approved in December 1977 and implemented during 1978.

• Like 2

Is that date correct? I would think that was more likely early 1980s.

I think the wraparound scheme in general was introduced in the 1975/76 period, and widespread by the late 1970s.

Edit, in response to @amos brierley post.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

I can only agree that the DG/DSG started a lot sooner than you’d expect. Here’s a photo from my private collection. Hopes this helps.   😉

That must have been on a photo shoot flight, I have a picture of the same a/c, XV Sqn 'D' with worn paint on the port slipper tank, only the background is different.  Wings of Fame Vol 14, page 83, no date given though.

• Like 1

I can't make out the serial of the Buccaneer in the photo but it's clearly in the "XX" range. The first Buccaneer delivered to the RAF from that serial range (XX887) was built in 1974, delivered 29/04/74. So the annotated 1972 date can't be correct. I suspect its XX888 coded "D" of XV Squadron as a near identical photo of this aircraft (with the distinctive left slipper tank) is on the "Thunder and Lightnings" site; this attributes it to 1983.

There are also a number of photos on the RAF Luqa Malta Facebook site of XV Buccaneers at RAF Luqa (including XX888) in 1978 in the DG/DSG/LAG scheme. 

Rich

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/buccaneer/gallery.php

https://www.facebook.com/rayrogerzammit/

Edited by RichG
  • Like 4

I visited Coltishall in spring 1976 and the Jaguars were in the process of swapping over to the wraparound scheme: 41(F) Squadron’s XZ385 was the first jet I noted in the new scheme and she also sported toned-down squadron markings.  XX144 of 54 Squadron still had a Light Aircraft Grey belly and full size, full colour squadron markings.

• Like 1

The RAF yearbook 1980 has an article on camouflage. Short version is; is doesn't give a timeline but a why it was done. Going from camouflage uppers and LAG undersides. Exercises showing camouflage working until hard maneuvering showed the grey, setting the seed for wrap around etc. But from the posts above its safe to take 5he time period that has been offered.

• Like 1

I’ve got to make an apology because I didn’t have much time to spare as I’m on my shift change over, my ‘sad seven’ days in work. As I was the first to answer the call I had no reference point for the change over point and as I don’t know the answer to the question I just dove in feet first. Oups. So sorry gents.

The picture of the photo in question has several errors that need explaining firstly the photo is two sided because someone thought that was a good idea to stick the two together, secondly without being able to write on the front it’s been marked up on the rear, which just so happens to make it look like the front of the smaller image. So, the date of 1972 is correct for the second image.

The Thunder and Lightning’s page of Buccaneers is intriguing as I was surprised to find another image like mine but different. Nice, thanks for sharing that information.

This image shows the double sided dilemma I have with photo.

spacer.png

These two planes are ‘L’ XX348 and ‘N’ XX887, the Kits World decals have the earliest A/C is dated 1979. 

As for the other photo it is of XX888 ‘D’.

spacer.png

Sorry for any inconvenience, thanks for looking.    😉

• Like 2