Mosquito FB.VI 605 Squadron.

modelling minion

Hi all,

As the title suggests I am thinking of building one of DeHavilland's finest for my next project and would very much like to do an aircraft operated by me local auxiliary unit which is 605 squadron. Okay, that should be fairly easy I hear you say as there are even decals available, and here is where I have decided to make matters more difficult for myself. I would ideally like to build an FB.VI that was also built locally to be at Standard Motors on their Ansty site as I used to work on that site for Rolls Royce, this means building an aircraft with a serial number in the HP, HR, RF or TE range. I also know that 605 did operate several from these batches such as HR205, HR338, HR349 and TE809 but I can't for the life of me find any pictures of these aircraft in service so that I can accurately reproduce them in model form, and while I know the standard scheme for the Mozzie some of the unit's aircraft had black painted undersides and/or forms of nose art or names on them so I was hoping that some of the vastly knowledgeable membership might either know of such information or be able to at least point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance.

Craig. 

• Like 2

I went through a bunch of my stuff (not all of it) and could only find a colour profile of a 605 Sqd Mk.VI. UP-L, one of their NF Mk.II's, seems to be camera friendly. While Chris Thomas mentions 605 Sqd missions and aircraft tie-ups in one of his 2nd T.A.F. books, there is no picture.

Edited by TBC
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TBC said:

I went through a bunch of my stuff (not all of it) and could only find a colour profile of a 605 Sqd Mk.VI. UP-L, one of their NF Mk.II's, seems to be camera friendly. While Chris Thomas mentions 605 Sqd missions and aircraft tie-ups in one of his 2nd T.A.F. books, there is no picture.

thanks for taking the time to look, I really appreciate that. I have found some serial numbers tied to codes but no pictures at all, surprisingly there are more pics of their NF.II's thank FB.VI's and they only used them for a few months! I am of a mind to paint an aircraft in the colours used (standard Mozzie colours but with black undersides) and apply the codes and serial without having a photo to back it up.

• Like 1

No worries, MM. Here is what Chris has listed under various dates for 605 Sqd Mosquito Mk.VI missions on various pages in Volume 3 of his 2nd Tactical Air Force book. It starts with PZ-390 L in 18/01/45 and ends with PZ-464 Z in 11/05/45.

PZ-390 L

HR-152 S

HR-355 K

PZ-406 D

PZ-409 Q

PZ-416 H

HR-205 K

PZ-349 P

PZ-343 B

RS-603 F

HR-206 M

PZ-464 Z

Edited by TBC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TBC said:

No worries, MM. Here is what Chris has listed under various dates for 605 Sqd Mosquito Mk.VI missions on various pages in Volume 3 of his 2nd Tactical Air Force book. It starts with PZ-390 L in 18/01/45 and ends with PZ-464 Z in 11/05/45.

PZ-390 L

HR-152 S

HR-355 K

PZ-406 D

PZ-409 Q

PZ-416 H

HR-205 K

PZ-349 P

PZ-343 B

HR-206 M

PZ-464 Z

They match up with what I found, the only exception being HR205 which your list has as "K" and mine has as "A", HR355 isn't on the list I have so thats another possibility to add to the list.

28 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

They match up with what I found, the only exception being HR205 which your list has as "K" and mine has as "A", HR355 isn't on the list I have so thats another possibility to add to the list.

As my list is chronological, I'd say HR-355 K was lost and HR-205 was its replacement.

• Like 1

Unfortunatley not in the serial ranges you want but, Mosquito Squadrons of the Royal Air Force by Chaz Bowyer

Photograph of Mark II DZ716 UP-L in flight from behind and below, day fighter scheme
DZ716 L
DZ717 O
DZ724 S
DZ760 K
HJ761 P
HJ775 U
HJ778 A
HJ784 P
HJ790 R
HJ809 D
HX823 B
MM790 F
RS678 T

From a list of combat claims
DZ715    R
DZ716    L
DZ717    O
HJ760    X
HJ767    G
HJ775    U
HJ776    E
HJ779    L
HJ782    H
HJ785    T
HJ790    R
HJ808    O
HJ809    D
MM414    Y
MM429    H
NS838    J
NS875    R
NS960    M

• Thanks 1

These 3 from Mosquito, Typhoon, Tempest at War and captioned as follows:

'Wolf' - the aircraft of Squadron Leader Heath DFC (BAR); 605 Squadron, Castle Camps, June 1943.

spacer.png

Next. The swastika-marked Mosquito of Flight Lieutenant Blomley DFC and his navigator; 605 Squadron, Castle Camps airfield, June 1943.

spacer.png

And finally. A swan with teeth. Night intruder with shark-mouth markings which destroyed three enemy aircraft; two of them in addition to four trains in a single night's work. Flying Officer P.D. Wood, 605 Squadron, left was awarded a DFC for his part in the feat.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1