Bf-109E wing question-decision made and painted

Gary Brantley

29 minutes ago, Jochen Barett said:

I still wonder how many modellers died a tragic death or suffered in other ways after drinking the old Humbrol paints (and just how much paint did you have to drink to catch it?) so they had to change the formula. Usually the 30-40 year old Humbrol paints can be "rejuvenated" with afew drops of thinner (white spirit) and a lot of stirring.

To be honest - the Humbrol paints make the tongue feel "felty" if drunk. A decent Single Malt is much more palatable, but let's not discuss whether it's/it should be RLM 79a/79b/62 or a local mix, discoloured for lack of "Zuckerkulör".

An unopened tin will not need additional thinner, unless there has been evaporation; but I think the main problem with the "cake" is not lack of thinner, but solidification. Which requires some work with your preferred arm, or a suitable tool. Which could be...

18 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

This has been my experience over the last 40 years, excepting the recent travesties, of course. 

I remember that one recommendation was to add ca. 5 bullets of gunshot to hard-boiled tins, and shake hard; alternatively, IIRC there were some ultrasonic devices, too, or a miniature mixer to be put into your Dremel/B&D/whatever.

I am fortunate to have worked at a large toy shop 32 years ago, which was well stocked with Humbrol. For some reason (not me, I swear, the model railway guys went home each evening with a Roco N loco up their sleeve), it went bankrupt, but the staff discounts made stuff quite affordable, and I'd say I have more tins than I'll ever need. --- Apart from that, I also rescued a Humbrol dispenser with contents on a close-down 5.5 years ago - but those paints may not quite be the same...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tempestfan said:

To be honest - the Humbrol paints make the tongue feel "felty" if drunk. A decent Single Malt is much more palatable, but let's not discuss whether it's/it should be RLM 79a/79b/62 or a local mix, discoloured for lack of "Zuckerkulör".

+++

I am fortunate to have worked at a large toy shop 32 years ago, which was well stocked with Humbrol. For some reason (not me, I swear, the model railway guys went home each evening with a Roco N loco up their sleeve), it went bankrupt, but the staff discounts made stuff quite affordable, and I'd say I have more tins than I'll ever need. +++

I drink my coffee with lots of milk, adjusted to RAL 1011, I'll try RLM 79 a/b soon. When it comes to model paint, no matter what paint brand/range I use, other folks' models look better and more authentic than mine, so why bother with RLM 79 a AND b?

(so you ruined Rasch?)

Back to the topic?

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235133671-bf-109e-wing-question-decision-made-and-painted/&do=findComment&comment=4841978

I have no idea what the white "splashes" are, but it seems they were applied some time after the landing or were washed off (absent in some pics)

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

I can also recommend the Badger paint stirrer, basically a small waffle-edged disc spun by a small electric motor.  Providing you don't try to remove it from the tin without stopping it first, it doesn't splash everywhere.

Where do you purchase these badgers, the ones I'm aware of are far to big to fit the standard Humbrol tin  ... 

I'd try them but the closest we have in Australia are wombats and they get a bit difficult if you try and poke them into a paint tin. 😉 

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, MilneBay said:

Where do you purchase these badgers, the ones I'm aware of are far to big to fit the standard Humbrol tin  ... 

I'd try them but the closest we have in Australia are wombats and they get a bit difficult if you try and poke them into a paint tin. 😉 

Trumpeter makes a similar product that is widely available.

Just a brief update; the white and yellow sections are painted and I did wind up at Kings Hobby shop in Austin where I bought three different brands of RLM 79. I picked up Mr. Color, Vallejo and new tin of Humbrol that I opened and stirred at the counter to be sure it had no dried bottom paint. All seemed okay. I have some touchups in the 79 along with some scratches on the bottom paint to spray over. I've noticed a few places where I seem to have sprayed over some small grit. I'll sand those down before paint flies again! 🙂

yello_chin_port_3-4_front.jpeg

yello_SB_side.jpeg

yel_SB_front.jpeg

yello_bottome_from_port_rear.jpeg

yello_bottom_from_sb_rear.jpeg

IMG_1330.jpeg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Hello again, everyone!  Well, this old bird is done! ;) And, the model is finished, as well! 😁  It was completed just a couple of days ago, but the weather here has been atrocious lately, and I haven't had an opportunity to take any proper photographs yet.  With morning low temps around 15*F, I imagine I would have the airport to myself! 😁 I was really pleased with how my paint fading had turned out but I afraid that much of the contrast disappeared under the gloss coat.    In bright, natural sunlight it does look much better and I'm hoping she will photograph well when I take her to the airport for a photo session.  We'll see...

I did take a few preliminary "tabletop pics" just for grins.   I had a fight with the radio aerial, done with EZ line, and it doesn't look as neat as I wanted it to, but by that point, I simply wanted to finish...and I do finally have a Bf-109 in my display!     Here are a few sneak preview pics; I hope to have an RFI article done soon:

On top of a display cabinet:

SB_full_oNDh2W2Bgzb6QjeA9ULo6z.jpeg

good_SB_from_rear.jpeg

On the dining room table:

port_full_vMBrhftwxh5wVSasadjWiN.jpeg

port_from_upper_rear_khjrxMT32sBusoGQrty

• Like 4

Well I must apologise Gary, this one sneaked in under my radar!! Looks absolutely spectacular my friend, even more so I suspect once you have photographed it ‘ ready for inspection’

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Well I must apologise Gary, this one sneaked in under my radar!! Looks absolutely spectacular my friend, even more so I suspect once you have photographed it ‘ ready for inspection’

Thank you sincerely, my friend! 🙏   I sure appreciate that encouragement and support, Peter; as usual, I can use all the motivation I can get! ;) 😄