Australian coaster Blythe Star - 1973 - 3D print - 1/100

The 200-litre drum used as a rubbish bin at the time.

71105382-1330150583825095-20852735377984

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-07-a-23-20-21.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-07-a-23-20-32.j

Fitting of the home-made national flag on copy No. 2.

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-02-08-a-20-38-19.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-07-a-23-14-56.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-07-a-23-15-44.j

Jim Baumann had advised me to approach the wires with a lit incense stick or a soldering iron, I chose the iron, I have an adjustable one more. 

It works pretty well, but you have to be careful. I heated it directly on site, once it was glued to the model, that worked too, because here I really wanted the strands stretched identically without sagging. 

I'll have to try for the other type ("saggy"), but I'm afraid that my resin template isn't strong enough, it might bend...

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37536

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-07-a-23-14-03.j

• Like 7

The latest design and 3D printing for this ship. The bridge "spotlight", which is also used to illuminate the bridge, can be rotated. It is also used to launch the lifeboat at night. This type of lamp operates on 24 volts or 48 volts DC from the emergency lighting battery circuit in the event of a blackout.

We'll still have to design and print the plaques describing the name of the ship and the plaque commemorating the shipwreck for the display case.  

https://monumentaustralia.org.au/themes/disaster/maritime/display/70937-tasmanian-seafarers`-memorial/photo/18
Tasmanian_Seafarers_Memorial-24428-70937

The two copies of the ship are almost finished now, it's just a matter of an hour or two's work to put the finishing touches to them.

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-13-a-15-49-50.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-13-a-15-52-24.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-13-a-15-54-36.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-13-a-18-13-54.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-13-a-18-21-51.j

• Like 6

The two examples of this pretty coaster are now finished.

All that's left to do are the plaques, the supports and the display cases to protect them quickly from dust.

I'll take better photos later.

It's been a great adventure and a challenge for me! Thanks to Roland and Nick (  )  for your help and to all those who have provided exceptional, often personal, documents (I haven't published everything, because of the families involved). 

Thanks to Jim Baumann for his advice. And to the others who have encouraged me in this project by following the subject.

IMG-3519.jpg

IMG-3521.jpg

IMG-3522.jpg

IMG-3524.jpg

IMG-3525.jpg

IMG-3527.jpg

IMG-3528.jpg

• Like 10

Excellent job Pascal, I just love the detail work and research you always bring to your projects making them a powerful resource for those following :clap::thumbsup:

Now, can we get that battleship finished? :rofl:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tks Gruntpa, Steve. 

Thank you for following and encouraging me to all followers !

Iceman 29 wrote 7 November 2023 - "This project should be completed very quickly, a "Flash" project."

It was, completed in about 4 months and 7 days. 

The fact that I had to make 3 examples, one of which wasn't built, for 'stock', delayed me a bit, but I've learned quite a lot so that I can improve the next projects and better finish the current ones, particularly the 'SS Delphine', while the battleship Bretagne is also at the finalisation stage.

Other projects are at the documentation stage, such as the 1:100 scale Shell Welder, for which I'm waiting for plans from the shipyard.

The Rouen pilot boat "Le Mascaret" is a special project for 2 reasons, it was built at the same Duchesne et Bossière yard in Le Havre ( Harfleur ) as the Blythe Star ( Ex Tandik ) build number 101, 1955, I was surprised to realise this after the Blythe Star project started.

facebook-1648578068221-69146375858547136

The Mascaret has build number 154, Plan 1960-61. 

Picture from a friend : ©Alain Mingam Photographe : https://evene-lefigaro-fr.translate.goog/celebre/biographie/alain-mingam-16969.php?_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=fr&_x_tr_pto=wapp
Le-Mascaret-Pilot-boat-of-rouen-and-Amer

The second is that my father, who is now deceased (2014), was chief engineer on board. He first sailed on her in Oct 1966 until she was sold and replaced by cheaper and more efficient pilot boats. 

I spent a lot of time on board during my childhood, sometimes doing 'the tide' as we used to say, spending the day on the roadstead, in the bay of the Seine, when the boat served the pilot ships going up or down the Seine towards Rouen. A bygone era.

I've got a nice bundle of original plans to scan that my father picked up when he sold the boat. 

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-15-a-23-29-50.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-15-a-23-33-35.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-15-a-23-34-19.j

It's all very exciting, of course, and layout is a great passion, but it's also time-consuming. I'm never bored, and that's the main thing! :)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Iceman 29 said:

Tks Gruntpa,

It's only that I was enjoying that one....:sad:

Anyway, WOW!!, original drawings, {Holy Grail emoji} :yikes: and a parental link thrown in, how can you not build it....

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Reproduction of the plaque from the sailors' memorial in Tasmania. 

http://seafarersmemorial.org.au/memorials/vessels/blythe_star.php

It will be glued to the support of the ship in the display case.

I haven't found the type of christening plate that is usually oval from the Duschesne and Bossière shipyards to make a reproduction, so I'll have to make something up. 

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-17-a-20-22-39.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-17-a-20-23-02.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-17-a-20-57-40.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-17-a-21-07-25.j

• Like 5

It's a bit stressful to place the coaster on its final support and screw it onto the pillars - it's always a delicate moment when everything can change in a split second to a scene of horror. 3669312944.gif 738087458.gif

M-V-Blythe-Star-02.jpg

M-V-Blythe-Star-03.jpg

M-V-Blythe-Star-04.jpg

M-V-Blythe-Star-05.jpg

M-V-Blythe-Star-06.jpg

M-V-Blythe-Star-07.jpg

M-V-Blythe-Star-08.jpg

M-V-Blythe-Star-09.jpg

M-V-Blythe-Star-10.jpg

M-V-Blythe-Star-11.jpg

M-V-Blythe-Star.jpg

• Like 8

A very fitting tribute to those that sail those dangerous seas Pascal

And I have a search room booked for next week to view all plans and photos which should be interesting.  :book:

Now as Steve D said how about that battleship completion.  :whistle:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 3

Bunch of impatient people! cafe.gif icon_e_biggrin.gif

And I have a search room booked for next week to view all plans and photos which should be interesting.  

:yes:😜 Nice!

• Haha 2

The weathered version is finished, with the Australian flag to be glued on and the rear anodes to be painted.

IMG-3614.jpg

IMG-3615.jpg

IMG-3616.jpg

IMG-3617.jpg

IMG-3618.jpg

IMG-3620.jpg

IMG-3621.jpg

IMG-3622.jpg

IMG-3624.jpg

IMG-3627.jpg

IMG-3629.jpg

Both of them:

IMG-3631.jpg

IMG-3633.jpg

IMG-3634.jpg

IMG-3635.jpg

IMG-3636.jpg

IMG-3638.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Iceman 29 said:

and the rear anodes to be painted.

Don't paint them! they won't work otherwise!

(sorry, couldn't resist, spent too long in the dock bottom checking anodes were fitted and masked correctly before hull painting)

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Don't paint them! they won't work otherwise!

Just nice to see someone model anodes imho

I prefer the weathered version btw, I like boats to look real, not models from a shipping office window

Great finish Pascal, :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

(just nobody mention the battleship......:doh:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I prefer the weathered version btw, I like boats to look real, not models from a shipping office window

Both of Pascal's models are outstanding, but for me, if i'm going for a realistic weathered look it needs to be in a realistic setting as well (full hull - drydock, or waterline - sea scape)

I'm fine with a pristine full hull on pedestals as per builders models as there's no attempt at realism, it's a style of presenting a model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3D printing is becoming the future of modelling, but I feel too old to start learning how to design a model and print it 😔.

I love tramps and coasters. Excellent model. Congrats, sir.

• Thanks 1

Pascal, 

Amazing work all around, the CAD, “kit” design, print, build, paint, & finish. 

May I ask what are the specs of the computer you use for CAD?

cheers,

Greg

• Like 1