Revell 1/570 RMS Titanic built as discovered in 1986

SigEp Ziggy

I have seen some videos on Youtube on how to build the Titanic model as the shipwreck at the bottom of the Atlantic and would like to do this with the old Revell kit.

spacer.png

I needed information, photos, drawings and paintings.  I got a great start from these books.

spacer.png

The tooling on this kit is from 1970, back when Revell sold models in 'box scale', hence the odd scale of 1/570.  It is an inexpensive kit, perfect for kitbashing!

• Like 5

Thanks Guys!

Yes, I will remove the molded railings.

Let's get started.

spacer.png

Cut where the book showed the breakup is.

spacer.png

I'm going to model the Grand Staircase down to 'F' deck

spacer.png

• Like 8

Thanks Guys, It is fun and that's the name of the game.

I have some more photos, I didn't get the order quite right, here they are...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the real challenge, thinning and twisting the outer hull like this painting...

spacer.png

Adding details

spacer.png

• Like 7

This is coming on nicely.

It reminds me of an enormous scratch build model of the wreck that I saw at Telford IPMS Scale Modelworld show a few years back.

Often wondered what happened to the model afterwards.  Did it find its way to the Titanic Museum in Belfast or go somewhere else?

• 2 weeks later...

For where the hull plating is ripped and buckled out, would you thin and cut that long the break and then bend those out? Since it'll be sitting 'buried' into the sand, the gap along the open seam/bottom would be hidden.

On 9/20/2023 at 11:32 PM, SigEp Ziggy said:

spacer.png

I think that would be the best bet, it would be very tedious however. As for the rips in the shell plating just behind the well deck those you could probably get away with cutting a small sliver of hull out, maybe 3 of 4 mil and graft in .002 plastic sheet into the rest of the kit plastic. Everything from the gymnasium back will be a exercise in extreme patience and low heat. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the many great comments!  I have been thinning the hull and I ready or should I say brave enough to use my Dremal with a small grinder.  The other hard part is the eleven degree downward bend on 'C' deck and the forecastle.

spacer.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SigEp Ziggy said:

Thank you all for the many great comments!  I have been thinning the hull and I ready or should I say brave enough to use my Dremal with a small grinder.  The other hard part is the eleven degree downward bend on 'C' deck and the forecastle.

Ah power tools! That's my preferred method for making great big mistakes really quickly. 🤣

Seriously, they are such a timesaver for work like this, how did we ever manage without them. You'll soon have the plastic paper-thin and then that 11 degree bend will be as easy for your fingers to bend as sheet steel is for an iceberg.

This is an amazing project and I wish you all the best with it. Do you plan to sink it under a resin sea?

• Like 1

The ultimate challenge of modeling. Miniature wrecks made to look real. I suppose there´s going to be a fair amount of barnacles on the hull. Are you adding a little deep diving sub too? That would be cool for size difference. 😎

• Like 1