Color advice for Bristol F.2B

Seawinder

I'm wondering what color people would recommend for the grey used on the engine cowlings of many F.2Bs. Wingnut Wings calls out Tamiya XF-53, which seems to be something like US Neutral Gray 36270. As I use a lot of Mr. Color paints, that would mean C-11 or C-308. Am I in the ballpark, or is there a clearly better choice?

Thanks! Pip

8 hours ago, Bob C. said:

Misterkit produces it as a rather light grey, rather than medium to dark.  Is this not likely, or absolutely not correct?

It is excellent, if you can get it. Not many people over here seem to know about it any more since Aeroclub finished, because they were about the only distributer in the UK. hence the lack of recommendations.

Paul.

6 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

It is excellent, if you can get it. Not many people over here seem to know about it any more since Aeroclub finished, because they were about the only distributer in the UK. hence the lack of recommendations.

Paul.

How about something in the region of RAF Medium Sea Grey?

3 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

How about something in the region of RAF Medium Sea Grey?

Over their history WNW have suggested Humbrol 87, 106, 123, and the Mr Kit colour. Also, the FS number they give where they suggest H106 is the one for Intermediate Blue. So, it isn't gospel. Bearing in mind how greys can vary a lot according to lighting and weather, I'd look at modern survivors as europapete suggets, but make sure the pictures are taken outdoors, then if I didn't have the Mr Kit colour I'd use H165 (RAF MSG).  Just my best estimate. Bear in mind that WW1 and later Battleship Grey are different - I've read both that it got darker and that it got lighter, and TBH have no idea which is correct. I guess Jamie of Sovereign Hobbies would know.

If you have a look in the current De Havilland group build completed gallery I've got a recent Eduard Airco DH2 using the Mr Kit colour if you're wondering what it looks like used in anger.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For a minute or two I thought I was losing my mind.  I was sure I had used the Misterkit Battleship Grey on a WWI build, but all my Brit WWI builds pre-date my use of Misterkit.  Just before I called on the little men in the white coats to come and get me, I spotted my Matchbox Siskin.  The section behind the cockpit (radio compartment?) is a lightish grey, somewhat lighter than the grey on the Bristol above.  Just got out my copy of "British Aviation Colours of World War Two".  It is a little bit lighter than the chip for "Sky Grey".   So is that (the Misterkit) too light?  

Not sure about right now, but about 5 years or so ago, I ordered a sizeable number of Misterkit paints directly from them.  As I recall, there was a bit of back-and-forth  (problem with the order form?), but I did after a few weeks, get my order.  I recommend their paint -- and I really don't like water-based paint.

I've used several of their colors, and they always come out beautifully.  With, of course, the exception of some of their early bottles, which is certainly part of their storied history. 

I'm going to have to buckle down and get back to Imgur and see if I can learn how to post pictures on here.  No promises.

Yes, Pip, Medium Sea Grey will work fine.

Regards, Pete

ps, Bob, I am really crap at posting pictures also. It seems like it takes me hours to do. Just a computer retard I guess. 🤣

Edited by europapete
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice, well done.  So, you will need to do a wartime one with the original tail and PC10 / CDL,  a Palestine one in PC12,  a post war small tail in Silver with all the Arabian and NW Frontier paraphanalia hanging off them, a Mk 4 large tail in silver with wing slats. You had better buy some more kits.

Edited by europapete
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Call me weird (many do already) but I've fancied a Tourer for some time...

Just avoid the Classic Plane resin conversion set if you want one in 1/72nd - an Airfix kit for everything but the fuselage and rudder, but so poorly cast its main function is to improve your mining and sculpting skills (eg, rudder trailing edge 3mm, cabin roof 1/4 absent due to an air bubble of 4mm diameter). Should be interesting to scratchbuild one though.

Paul.

• Thanks 1