1/72 AZ Models Fairey Fulmar II N4065 804 NAS *FINISHED*

This is my 1/72 AZ Models  Fulmar - Will be built as Fulmar Mk.II N4065 of 804 Squadron as utilised from the Navy’s Fighter Catapult Ships (FCS)

AZ Fairey Fulmar Mk II 1/72 AZ Models Fairey Fulmar Mk II

One of my earlier builds this year was a Hurricane of the MSFU. Before the MSFU the Fleet Air Arm was catapult Launching Fulmars from ships (The Fighter Catapult Ships (FCS))

To continue the theme, the aircraft I am building, N4065, was launched at least twice from an FCS and was flown from HMS Springbank on  10 June 1941 by PO(A) Frederick James Shaw, RN (who incidentally made the first operational launch from an FCS on 11 January 1941) . His three documented operation launches from an FCS accounts for 1/4 of the 12 recorded FCS operational launches.

Tragically PO Shaw was killed on 02 August 1942, Aged 28, with 881 Sqn when his Martlet stalled and crashed in the sea whilst landing onto HMS Illustrious.

Edited by Rafwaffe
Completed
  • Like 5

I’ll keep an out out for this.  I like a good Fulmar build and a MkII to boot..

A friend at my modelling club described it as a “Sea Hurricane with a conservatory built in”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Rafwaffe changed the title to 1/72 AZ Models Fairey Fulmar II N4065 804 Sqdn

I'll be watching too - this is one of my options for the GB, so I may wait a week or two before starting to see if you find and correct any pitfalls in the kit :)

(I've got three others on the go which need finishing first, so I'm mainly looking for a reason to stop myself starting a fourth!)

3 hours ago, Rafwaffe said:

A modest start, but a start nonetheless:

Annnnnnnnnnd........ He's off!------------------------------------->:pilot:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this is another re-box of the Vista  Fulmar, as is the Revell and the Airfix which I built earlier this year. I have an original Vista in the stash but unfortunately the clear part canopy is missing. The kit is what it is but goes together quite well. I should have spent more time and effort making  bottom section of the clear part look like part of the side panels and not the canopy.

Looking good .

DD

Thank you for those that have looked and for the kind words/likes. Coming together now. Some good putty cover/smooths a multitude of sins… lesson with this one do not do clamps up too tight..

AZ Model (vista) Fairey Fulmar II 1/72

AZ Model (vista) Fairey Fulmar II 1/72

• Like 9

Ready for the top colours 

AZ Model (vista) Fulmar II

This is the aircraft. Just trying to work out which colour is which!  

Fulmar N4065

I think the dark colour is the Extra Dark Sea Grey, but something tells me I may have it the wrong way around!

• Like 5

For such a faded aircraft, yes, I think you are right.  EDSG does fade quite dramatically (and appear bluer).  The standard Fulmar pattern is a bit difficult to discern because in the photo but would have a slate nose on the port side and EDSG on the starboard, so generally it seems to be consistent. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

After a hiatus due to work, progress.

camouflage on. Trying for a faded looking dark slate grey and extra dark sea grey pattern. Almost on the home stretch!

I remain bemused by the misaligned exhausts on the kit. Something I don’t think was on the real fulmar!

Covering it a bit with a strategically placed propellor blade.

AZ Model (vista) Fulmar 804 Sqn

AZ Model (vista) Fulmar 804 Sqdn

• Like 6

Assembly Done. Just going to step away and let it dry overnight/a few days until the scars fade (especially after the battle to get the leading edge light to remotely fit (faired in…sort of… with some trusty Kristal Clear) still shaking my head at those exhausts…

AZ Model (Vista) Fulmar II 804 Sqdn AZ Model (vista) Fulmar 804 Sqn

• Like 5