P-51D Mustang "Checkertail" Rimini, Italy March 1945

fmichelsen

Hello.
I was seeking through my stash to find something for this build, and I found the decals from and Eduard Royal Class Mustang i built years ago. I did also have a Airfix mustang laying in the sales-pile, but not anymore :) It's time to get it built. It will be build OOB - except the decals ofcourse. I'm a bit worried about the decals for the tail, but here we go :D 
embed?resid=FB514F8D96A6BCF3!4117&authke

embed?resid=FB514F8D96A6BCF3!4118&authke

• Like 10

You're off to a good start. Is the tail all one checker decal, or does it need an undercoat of one of the colours?

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

You're off to a good start. Is the tail all one checker decal, or does it need an undercoat of one of the colours?

James

It's only the black checkers, so I need to paint it yellow. But that being said, it is a large decal, so maybe I'll cut it into smaller pieces :) 

• Like 1

Got more made!
All parts are now off the sprues, and i some stade of painting ;)
I basecoated the most parts grey, and the painted the yellow on. It looks okay, but maybe it needs a second layer to be really yellow :D
embed?resid=FB514F8D96A6BCF3!4176&authke

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Oh dear. It's been a long holiday season, and I have been building, but not uploading pictures of the progress. 
Well, ATM i'm hopefull that it will be good, but everything had nearly ended up in the trash. Once I had everything painted and the clear coat was hardened, I began with the checkertail decals. Starting with the first one, for the entire left-side of tail. It totally collapsed/wrapped around my tweezer, and despite my best effort, it was beyond saving (I may have used to hot water, when dipping it?). I packed everything away, thinking "It will be in its box, until I some day throw it out". But no, this one will be finished!
So my next try was to use tape, alot of tape. Here is the result so far, and tail stabilizers in progress.

Some small corretions are needed, but its not that bad, I think :) 
embed?resid=FB514F8D96A6BCF3!4208&authke 

embed?resid=FB514F8D96A6BCF3!4209&authke

• Like 11

• 2 months later...